Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

I’ve probably told this before but the Queen died on my wee boys birthday and just as we were singing hip hip hooray was the exact moment the flag was lowered and Huw the paedo announced it. I love to think what anyone walking past hearing the celebrations would have thought. 

She died on my wedding anniversary, so we've always got that association now.

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

I’ve probably told this before but the Queen died on my wee boys birthday and just as we were singing hip hip hooray was the exact moment the flag was lowered and Huw the paedo announced it. I love to think what anyone walking past hearing the celebrations would have thought. 

Least the BBC are stuffed from showing too much on the anniversary of old Liz pegging out, by the time the cut out the stuff fronted by Huw Edwards they won't have much more than enough for a 30min One Show special.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Commentators should be trying the right amount of hard to pronounce people's names. That amount is finding out how they're supposed to be pronounced and then pronouncing them that way.

The terrible journalism thread is full of posters slating media folk for not knowing enough about the players. Surely getting their names right should be the starting point.

Reminds me of the time the actor Haing S. Ngor won a BAFTA for his appearance in The Killing Fields. It was presented by Julie Walters, who when she opened the envelope admitted she didn't know how to pronounce his name. She got slated in the press, with everybody pointing out that she should damn well have learned how to pronounce it before she went on stage, given that he was on the shortlist even if nobody at that point knew he had won.

58 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Only tangentially related, but made me think of this Catholic Grotto in Cork:

image.png.9d55887ced2cef8d4df63fa1bd7a0714.png

image.png.7093a92da774207547105839d7397a8f.png

Imagine walking out on to the balcony of your new flat on a sunny morning to be greeted with the sight near life-size recreation of a man being tortured to death.

It’ll keep vampires away though

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Imagine walking out on to the balcony of your new flat on a sunny morning to be greeted with the sight near life-size recreation of a man being tortured to death.

Why did they paint the back, but not the front?

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

On the subject of remembering blokes being nailed to posts, this easter bunny shit gets on my nerves.

We never had an easter bunny, so i don't know the story behind it. I guess it's some country's pagan symbol of spring, but f**k knows what the connection is with the chocolate eggs. 

Egg shape on the other hand is the optimum shape for chocolate and well worth the 300% price jacking. I'd like to thank Jesus for inventing chocolate eggs. 

I was informed that a lot of kids get fucking presents for easter these days and not just a chocolate egg. For me that can go on the same fire that "graduations" from primary school (or worse, a nursery) and "proms" for high school kids should be burning in. 

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

On the subject of remembering blokes being nailed to posts, this easter bunny shit gets on my nerves.

We never had an easter bunny, so i don't know the story behind it. I guess it's some country's pagan symbol of spring, but f**k knows what the connection is with the chocolate eggs. 

Egg shape on the other hand is the optimum shape for chocolate and well worth the 300% price jacking. I'd like to thank Jesus for inventing chocolate eggs. 

Well, I don't go to church on Sunday Don't get on my knees to pray Don't memorize the books of the bible I got my own special way I know Jesus loves me Maybe just a little bit more Fall down on my knees every Sunday At Zerelda Lee's candy store Well, I've got to be a chocolate Jesus Make me feel good inside Got to be a chocolate Jesus Keep me satisfied Well, I don't want no Abba Zabba Don't want no Almond Joy There ain't nothing better Suitable for this boy Well, it's the only thing that can pick me up It's better than a cup of gold See, only a chocolate Jesus Can satisfy my soul When the weather gets rough and it's whiskey in the shade It's best to wrap your savior up in cellophane He flows like the big muddy but that's okay Pour him over ice cream for a nice parfait Well, it's got to be a chocolate Jesus Good enough for me Got to be a chocolate Jesus It's good enough for me Well, it's got to be a chocolate Jesus Make me feel so good inside Got to be a chocolate Jesus Keep me satisfied

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

5 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I lived in a flat you could see real people getting tortured to death.

Overly fancy and stupid job role descriptions.

'Principal's who aren't even the lead member of their team, with multiple of them.  That and teams with five 'leads' where the name lead simply means 'not a graduate', etc etc.

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I was informed that a lot of kids get fucking presents for easter these days and not just a chocolate egg. For me that can go on the same fire that "graduations" from primary school (or worse, a nursery) and "proms" for high school kids should be burning in. 

First time I ever heard of of this was the Mrs saying we have to get her niece a wee Easter present the first year we were together. Never heard an egg being called a present before but there you go. Turns out it was an actual present. 14 years later and it still catches me out every year.

52 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

The Mrs saying we have to get her niece 

Why would you have to get a present for someone else's niece? Presents should be limited to first order relatives at most, and maybe the postie at Christmas.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Overly fancy and stupid job role descriptions.

'Principal's who aren't even the lead member of their team, with multiple of them.  That and teams with five 'leads' where the name lead simply means 'not a graduate', etc etc.

My previous employers had a "Senior Line Manager", who was in charge of making sure the Department Managers made sure the Team Leads made sure Supervisors made sure the plebs were working. The Senior Line Manager reported to the General Manager, who reported to the Directors.

One member of staff was disciplined for calling someone a "useless middle managing p***k". When challenged on this at his disciplinary, he accepted that he should not have used the term, as "the 2nd level of management is not the middle in our structure" :lol:

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can we add kids getting presents on Christmas Eve into this? 

On 27/02/2024 at 21:57, Rugster said:

And you know this because whilst singing hip hip hooray to your child... the TV was on and you were paying attention to the BBC instead?

9 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Can we add kids getting presents on Christmas Eve into this? 

Just add the Germans into this, before it all kicks off again. Better safe than sorry.

12 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

First time I ever heard of of this was the Mrs saying we have to get her niece a wee Easter present the first year we were together. Never heard an egg being called a present before but there you go. Turns out it was an actual present. 14 years later and it still catches me out every year.

Ach, you'll catch on eventually. 

Now I think of it, when we were wee we often got a gift instead of an egg from close relatives such as grannies or aunts.  Not as expensive as a birthday or  Christmas present though.  

Edited by hk blues