Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

The labour was hard and the bairns “different” but all well now.
Will be looking out for you at Ruel Street, old boy.

Sorry. I'll look out for the older guy wearing a baseball hat backwards.

I’m late to this conversation but the reason employers have to have policies and standards is to protect themselves against legal action. If you were best mates with your manager and they let you off with a few dodgy sick days but someone in another department was binned for the same the they’d be able to point to that if they took the company to court. The whole thing is a hoop jumping exercise.

I worked with a woman who was let go because of her sickness record. She had severe mental health problems and in the four years I worked with her she was probably in the office a total of eight or nine months. The process as I understand it is that the firm has to show they had given her every chance, they had tried to accommodate her and they had her examined by occupational health doctors. She went to a lawyer who basically said she didn’t have a leg to stand on. The company offered a pay off, effectively redundancy and she took it. She died a few months later, really tragic, extremely sad.

I also found out that one of teams in our work has a staff member who has been off sick for years. He’s on statutory, they’ve basically decided that getting rid of him is too much hassle. He’s on the books s if it comes down to redundancy he can get it over anyone who actually shows up to work.

Tracksuit bottoms. The go-to comfy ones you lie about the house in that have small zips at the bottom of each leg, and nylon lining. Cheap shite from fat Mike Ashley’s, but just the job for sitting doing fcuk-all in, paired with your favourite baggy, washed-out, but dead comfy old T Shirt.... 

all good, until one day the nylon lining somehow stops your foot from going through the leg. For no good reason, you end up hopping around the bedroom, trying in vain to force your trapped foot through to freedom. Nope, the lining is winning the war.

Trakky bottoms are Nazi b*****ds.

Tracksuit bottoms. The go-to comfy ones you lie about the house in that have small zips at the bottom of each leg, and nylon lining. Cheap shite from fat Mike Ashley’s, but just the job for sitting doing fcuk-all in, paired with your favourite baggy, washed-out, but dead comfy old T Shirt.... 
all good, until one day the nylon lining somehow stops your foot from going through the leg. For no good reason, you end up hopping around the bedroom, trying in vain to force your trapped foot through to freedom. Nope, the lining is winning the war.
Those aren't the correct trackys for dossing about the house tbh. Straight cotton ones for dossing about

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Those aren't the correct trackys for dossing about the house tbh. Straight cotton ones for dossing about

Aye, they’re better.... until the drawstring at the top disappears into the waistband.... I tell you, trakky bottoms are evil cnuts.

Now I think about it.... Both of these have happened to me.

We are agreed. Evil c***s.... And lets bot forget their affinity for gathering static electricity to use against you too.

Aye, they’re better.... until the drawstring at the top disappears into the waistband.... I tell you, trakky bottoms are evil cnuts.

Back in my call centre supervisory days (I'm getting tense just typing that), I had a wumman on the team who was up the duff. She was "out sick" probably 5 or 6 times a month throughout and as I explained to her many, many times, that in itself wasn't the problem. The problem was that she never, ever, called to say she wasn't coming in. Which meant it was impossible for me to arrange coverage and we were constantly running into issues with contracted service levels. Given her protected status, I spent far too long sitting with the HR people making sure I was absolutely complying with company policy and more importantly, the law in every communication I had with her. We really didn't want to fire her but Jesus, she was a pain in the arse.

The final straw was when one of her 'friends', who also worked in the call center, grassed her up. On one of her recent "sick days", she was at a baseball game. And they had a date-stamped photo of her eating a hot dog and drinking beer. Did I mention she was pregnant?

Out the door she went and to nobody's surprise, she tried to sue us. Well OK, I was surprised. While I suspect this had been her plan all along, I still didn't expect it given that she knew we had this photo in our possession.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

you pull out the drawstring if it goes all the way round. attach a safety pin to one end and then you can thread it back through to the other end by feeling the safety pin through the cloth. 

one of the few useful things I ever learned from Ma Bam. 

shoe.jpg.a4faeef159012f8c670ba1591c405ffb.jpg

The up and down argument of joggies vs trackies is a moot point anyway, it's shorts in the house every day of the week.

Now I think about it.... Both of these have happened to me.

We are agreed. Evil c***s.... And lets bot forget their affinity for gathering static electricity to use against you too.

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

When I'm 35 I'll have a 14 year old daughter.

And a 17 year old son.

Aye, it's more the fact I was confused how anyone could have had a 14 year old when they're 35. 

I'm from Dundee. We're grandparents by 35 here! 

On 06/11/2019 at 22:18, MixuFixit said:

Sometimes annoyed, sometimes it's ended up working well for me in the long run as I get to look good in comparison to them in management's eyes. I have much broader experience of for example being sat at coffee or in meetings next to someone coughing and sneezing and being annoyed at them for coming in and risking me getting ill.

Having a bit of a cold is not a valid reason for taking time off for most people.

Containment measures can be taken. 

images.jpeg.7dd135d30f152fa5b9f8e58e7f0c7f4f.jpeg

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Back in my call centre supervisory days (I'm getting tense just typing that), I had a wumman on the team who was up the duff. She was "out sick" probably 5 or 6 times a month throughout and as I explained to her many, many times, that in itself wasn't the problem. The problem was that she never, ever, called to say she wasn't coming in. 

Have you ever tried phoning a call centre?

Why the f**k the Europa and champions league tables on BT sport show the points in the first column on the tv.
I've noticed this is becoming common with league tables everywhere. Points belong on the far right.

But then, I get annoyed that most tables don't split into home/away record anymore. I want to laugh at the sides who can't buy a win in front of their own fans, dammit.

On 06/11/2019 at 03:16, The Golden God said:

c***s in pubs who ask "what's the cheapest beer/wine/spirit/whatever." Most places dont vary in price that much, you're no going to end up paying double the price for a pint cause you picked the one you liked based on taste not price.

I've seen people argue a pint of something is 5p cheaper elsewhere.

I think next time this happens I will hand them 20p or something and tell them to have a party on me.