Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Surely she wouldn't suffer an extra week of symptoms, if the counter assistant offered you a product that would ease them? 

It wasn’t the counter assistant, she had already shuffled off and presented her omniscient pharmacist colleague to deal with me instead.

And easing doesn’t cure.

It’s the week’s wait to obtain what anyone with the most basic life experience knows is required and the now inevitable subsequent waste of NHS resources and everyone’s time to actually obtain a cure that were the root of the PTTGOMN  

But thanks for playing. Swing and a miss champ, etc…

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Any pharmacists on here? Condescending know-it-all arseholes IMO. Maybe @Tynierose will confirm or deny. 

Maw is suffering with the early stages of conjunctivitis. Took myself up the chemist to try and get her eye drops. Could I hell! Met with a barrage of questions, every one answered satisfactorily but no, she didn’t want to sell me anti-bacterial eye drops. She’d sell me something that’d ease the symptoms but nothing that deal with the actual issue. A big problem with increasing antibiotic resistance apparently. ‘Cos an 80yo wummin doon  the bottom end of the town is self administering drops to her eyes. 

We know what it is, we know how to fix it, it’s £7/8, problem solved. But no, now we’ve got to make a GP appointment, wait however many days to get that, take up the GP’s time, get a prescription that’ll probably cost more than the retail price of the product and maw will have to deal with an extra week of gunky eyes and irritation. With the same product I trie to buy this afternoon. Which in turn causes me endless irritation. 

Five times in our conversation I asked ‘Are you refusing to sell me an over the counter remedy?’ Four times I got waffle, never a flat no. The fifth waffle i just flounced out in a huff. This country, man!!! Gaahh!!!!

Why is it that anyone with a set of letters after their name thinks they, and only they, know the basics of their chosen field? 

(And if I’m wrong, I’ll maybe think about going back to meekly apologise!) 

I don't understand. They wouldn't sell you an OTC medication that's freely available or they wouldn't sell you a prescription only medicine.

If its the former I would have pushed over their chupa chups display 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't understand. They wouldn't sell you an OTC medication that's freely available or they wouldn't sell you a prescription only medicine.

If its the former I would have pushed over their chupa chups display 

The former. On reflection, if I’d wheeled 80yo maw out the house so she could be properly inspected by this pharmaceutical professional I suspect it’d have been a tad less frustrating for everyone. Maybe I’ll take her back to the shop tomorrow. 

I’ll get her to use a chupa chop to wipe the gunk from her eyes/nose before putting it back on their stand as a compromise dirty protest.

33 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

It wasn’t the counter assistant, she had already shuffled off and presented her omniscient pharmacist colleague to deal with me instead.

And easing doesn’t cure.

Your complaint was that she would suffer the symptoms for a week. If you took the medication required and it worked as described, she wouldn't though. 

Did you take the medication offered?

It’s the week’s wait to obtain what anyone with the most basic life experience knows is required 

Is it? Here's what the NHS has to say about that:

A pharmacist can help with conjunctivitis

Speak to a pharmacist about conjunctivitis. They can give you advice and suggest eyedrops or antihistamines to help with your symptoms.

If you need treatment for a child under 2, you'll need a prescription from a GP.

Find a pharmacy

Non-urgent advice:

See a GP if:

your baby has red eyes – get an urgent appointment if your baby is less than 28 days old

you wear contact lenses and have conjunctivitis symptoms as well as spots on your eyelids – you might be allergic to the lenses

your symptoms have not cleared up after 2 weeks

So it seems that the pharmacist is following, err, standard practice in dishing out medicine to help with the symptoms, given that the condition as of right now will likely clear up on its own. In the exact same way that you don't walk into a pharmacist with a cold and get antiviral drugs thrown at you to 'cure' it. You get told to buy Lemsip or any other brand available to ease the symptoms. 

But hey, I guess none of that matters compared to your braying life experience and sense of entitlement. 

and the now inevitable subsequent waste of NHS resources and everyone’s time to actually obtain a cure that were the root of the PTTGOMN  

It's not even remotely inevitable because the condition could clear up in a few days. And you've been offered help to deal with the symptoms until that is determined. That's an optimum use of medical resources, right there.

But thanks for playing. Swing and a miss champ, etc…

I don't think this is quite working out as you had planned. Gutted for you.

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your complaint was that she would suffer the symptoms for a week. If you took the medication required and it worked as described, she wouldn't though. 

Did you take the medication offered?

Is it? Here's what the NHS has to say about that:

So it seems that the pharmacist is following, err, standard practice in dishing out medicine to help with the symptoms, given that the condition as of right now will likely clear up on its own. In the exact same way that you don't walk into a pharmacist with a cold and get antiviral drugs thrown at you to 'cure' it. You get told to buy Lemsip or any other brand available to ease the symptoms. 

But hey, I guess none of that matters compared to your braying life experience and sense of entitlement. 

It's not even remotely inevitable because the condition could clear up in a few days. And you've been offered help to deal with the symptoms until that is determined. That's an optimum use of medical resources, right there.

I don't think this is quite working out as you had planned. Gutted for you.

^^^ verge of tears 

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Any pharmacists on here? Condescending know-it-all arseholes IMO. Maybe @Tynierose will confirm or deny. 

Maw is suffering with the early stages of conjunctivitis. Took myself up the chemist to try and get her eye drops. Could I hell! Met with a barrage of questions, every one answered satisfactorily but no, she didn’t want to sell me anti-bacterial eye drops. She’d sell me something that’d ease the symptoms but nothing that deal with the actual issue. A big problem with increasing antibiotic resistance apparently. ‘Cos an 80yo wummin doon  the bottom end of the town is self administering drops to her eyes. 

We know what it is, we know how to fix it, it’s £7/8, problem solved. But no, now we’ve got to make a GP appointment, wait however many days to get that, take up the GP’s time, get a prescription that’ll probably cost more than the retail price of the product and maw will have to deal with an extra week of gunky eyes and irritation. With the same product I trie to buy this afternoon. Which in turn causes me endless irritation. 

Five times in our conversation I asked ‘Are you refusing to sell me an over the counter remedy?’ Four times I got waffle, never a flat no. The fifth waffle i just flounced out in a huff. This country, man!!! Gaahh!!!!

Why is it that anyone with a set of letters after their name thinks they, and only they, know the basics of their chosen field? 

(And if I’m wrong, I’ll maybe think about going back to meekly apologise!) 

You should have asked her if she sold pie slings.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The BMA is just a trade union.

40 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ok then, the BMX.

BMW, Shirley?

Or are they not in alphabetical order?

Folk who reply to online help websites with shite like "I have the same problem, can't find a solution, any help would be appreciated".

Well, how about you take your fingers away from your keyboard, stick them in your various orifices where they'll be just as useful, and leave the replies to somebody who knows.  Having to scrolling through 50 odd replies of this trying to pick out something that might be useful really doesn't help the situation.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 05/07/2021 at 13:09, Jacksgranda said:

it's the opposite over here - all NI numbers start 028, the amount of folk who give their number 028 xxxx xxxx is ridiculous. I feel like interrupting them and saying "I know it's 028...)

Where I used to work, everyone in the (admittedly sparsely populated) area just said the last three numbers.  I always liked how the pub was 999.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

"Staycation", not the actual practice of holidaying in the UK just the word.

Firstly, its a holiday and secondly, it doesn't matter where you go, it's still a holiday.

A holistay any better for you?