Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 31/07/2021 at 07:30, throbber said:

Having to use a pound coin to get a trolley at the supermarket.

Always a sign of scaffiness on part of the supermarket or on part of the local denizens that use said supermarket.

Aldi and Lidl all need coins/tokens, because they can't be bothered employing someone to collect trollies. Same reason (along with wanting to sqeeze in another couple of car spaces) that they don't have multiple trolley shelters in their car parks. I tend not to get annoyed with them too much as it is what it is, and there are specific goods that get me into their shops.

There's no excuse for Tesco doing it though, other than their inherent scumminess. If my local ASDA, M&S, Morrison's, Waitrose don't make me put a coin in the trolley, why does Tesco. Because they are dicks.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The whole Yorkshire thing is proper mental, in all honesty. Epitomised by Sean Bean*(Seen Been or Shon Bon - make yer mind up, kidda) advertising Yorkshire Tea. Now, Mrs WRK loves this brand, as does her mother and a coiuple of the Rosettes. I simply haven't dared ask if they think it comes from a plantation near CleckHuddersFax. I don't think I want to know the answer..

Imagine the fun meeting an anti-vaxxer vegan from Leeds for the first time.

*Major gusset-moistener in Mrs WRK's eyes, for some reason. 

Greenied for The "b*****ds" Paradox.

29 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Always a sign of scaffiness on part of the supermarket or on part of the local denizens that use said supermarket.

Aldi and Lidl all need coins/tokens, because they can't be bothered employing someone to collect trollies. Same reason (along with wanting to sqeeze in another couple of car spaces) that they don't have multiple trolley shelters in their car parks. I tend not to get annoyed with them too much as it is what it is, and there are specific goods that get me into their shops.

There's no excuse for Tesco doing it though, other than their inherent scumminess. If my local ASDA, M&S, Morrison's, Waitrose don't make me put a coin in the trolley, why does Tesco. Because they are dicks.

To be fair, mate, you haven't thought that through. The first bold bit is exactly the answer Tesco will give to the second bit. Not accusing you of the slightest trace of scaffiness, btw. 

Although, in fairness, Tesco are dicks - for a multitude of reasons. 

Interestingly, the only outlet I've seen going back to pound coins (or in my case, the trusty Airfix Club token) is Morrison's. This in a retail development that includes a Lidl, B&M, Home Bargains and, for balance, a Waitrose. Oh, and - since Tuesday last - a Food Warehouse.

11 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

To be fair, mate, you haven't thought that through. The first bold bit is exactly the answer Tesco will give to the second bit. Not accusing you of the slightest trace of scaffiness, btw. 

Although, in fairness, Tesco are dicks - for a multitude of reasons. 

Interestingly, the only outlet I've seen going back to pound coins (or in my case, the trusty Airfix Club token) is Morrison's. This in a retail development that includes a Lidl, B&M, Home Bargains and, for balance, a Waitrose. Oh, and - since Tuesday last - a Food Warehouse.

Yeah, you're right - I've not been very consistent with my own representation and understanding of it.

I can do a fact-finding mission on this. Tesco in Springburn is the closest one to us, and it is scaffy and does make folk use coins. The next closest one is Milngavie, which is a nice store. I'll be going past there later in the week and will find out if they need coins (or and P&B poster using it can inform us).

It's not an absolute hard and fast rule I guess. I think the Sainsbury's in Kirkintilloch makes folk use coins, and it seems a reasonably pleasant locale.

I have a coffee machine. Once a day I put in the effort to make a latte for me and the wife. At the weekend she "treated" me to some oat milk because one of her (vegan) pals said it was delicious. 

I made one 20 minutes ago.

Spoiler

PlushPowerfulBlackfly-size_restricted.gi

21 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Yeah, you're right - I've not been very consistent with my own representation and understanding of it.

I can do a fact-finding mission on this. Tesco in Springburn is the closest one to us, and it is scaffy and does make folk use coins. The next closest one is Milngavie, which is a nice store. I'll be going past there later in the week and will find out if they need coins (or and P&B poster using it can inform us).

It's not an absolute hard and fast rule I guess. I think the Sainsbury's in Kirkintilloch makes folk use coins, and it seems a reasonably pleasant locale.

I remember going in the milngavie Tesco when it was a wm low , I think it may be coinless trolleys there ,as have seen a good few people pushing the trolleys up the road towards the clober scheame when Iam over there ,unless the pound lost is worth it rather than getting a taxi/bus up the road , stick with springburn Tesco, its bout four times the size . 

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

@Jan Vojáček is your man for Milngavie.

15 paragraph post on Tesco trollies incoming. 

Edit to add 😉, cos I'm just kidding him on.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Think the only place left in Inverness where you need a pound coin now is M&S, mainly because the nearest car park is Morrisons and they end up being dumped there. Actually there's a multi story, but they probably get dumped there too, never used it.

Edited by welshbairn

I simply haven't dared ask if they think it comes from a plantation near CleckHuddersFax. I don't think I want to know the answer.

I met a chap in Nagorno-Karabakh who insisted that the UK was a very warm country. Eventually I found out this was because we grow tea and he had some at home: "English Breakfast Tea".

I also met an FSB bod in Abkhazia who apologised for serving me Lipton Yellow Label as I must be used to much finer tea in Scotland. Now he knows that Tam Lipton was from Glasgow.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

@Jan Vojáček is your man for Milngavie.

15 paragraph post on Tesco trollies incoming. 

Edit to add 😉, cos I'm just kidding him on.

😂 I actually don't live in Milngavie anymore. But I am back quite a lot and did spend the first 23-years of my life there.

The Tesco trollies don't require a pound. Neither do Waitrose. When I was at my Waitrose training nights before that store opened we were told they didn't use coin operated trollies "because we trust our customers."

So there you go.

Just the 11 paragraphs short of my target. But I'm running a bit behind at work today.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have a coffee machine. Once a day I put in the effort to make a latte for me and the wife. At the weekend she "treated" me to some oat milk because one of her (vegan) pals said it was delicious. 

I made one 20 minutes ago.

Reveal hidden contents

PlushPowerfulBlackfly-size_restricted.gi

I had to avoid dairy due to gallbladder issues and trying to find a replaceent for milk was one of the hardest things about it, soya milk was by far the worst and is absolutely vile however oat milk was the one I ended up sticking with as it was at least palatable.

How on Earth would (at worst) losing a pound put anybody off nicking a trolley if they felt like it?

All the places like Tesco and Asda seem to have those magnetic strips that lock the wheels up anyway, so I'm not sure they trust their customer any more than in the past (quite rightly).

1 hour ago, thomas said:

I had to avoid dairy due to gallbladder issues and trying to find a replaceent for milk was one of the hardest things about it, soya milk was by far the worst and is absolutely vile however oat milk was the one I ended up sticking with as it was at least palatable.

How the f**k do you milk an oat?

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

Yeah it’s Aldi and Lidl I’ve resorted to shopping in since falling on hard times. If anyone wants to start a go fund me page let me know please.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

How on Earth would (at worst) losing a pound put anybody off nicking a trolley if they felt like it?

All the places like Tesco and Asda seem to have those magnetic strips that lock the wheels up anyway, so I'm not sure they trust their customer any more than in the past (quite rightly).

I keep thinking that getting all that metal in a trolley for a quid is a bit of a bargain tbh.