Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I generally think people who complain about the Olympics are dreadfully boring or ignorant - admittedly that's mainly due to people on here who seem to take it personally that sports besides football are shown on the TV for a few weeks once every few years - but something about the coverage this year is annoying me. There's an enthusiasm about it from the BBC which just seems insincere and wildly over the top I don't know if they're over-compensating out of some sense of shared national joy in response to the pandemic, or if it's just me resenting everyone the BBC employs to be on the telly, or if it's there being no fans which makes them all try too hard to say how great it all is, but I'm not into is this year in a way I have been before. 

It's not helped by all retired athletes being loathsome Tories.

The highlight show on the BBC is unwatchable, 20 second highlights of some Brit losing at Archery say with an awful sound track, brief mention of the finalists and winner, back to the studio, yak yak, then brief recorded bit of a 45 year old pretending to be a teenager in downtown Tokyo with a backwards baseball cap, segueing into 20 seconds of 3 a side basketball. Recorded the athletics today from lunchtime, bit better but not sure about the mixed 4x400. Maybe it's an early move to solve the trans dilemma though.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The highlight show on the BBC is unwatchable, 20 second highlights of some Brit losing at Archery say with an awful sound track, brief mention of the finalists and winner, back to the studio, yak yak, then brief recorded bit of a 45 year old pretending to be a teenager in downtown Tokyo with a backwards baseball cap, segueing into 20 seconds of 3 a side basketball. Recorded the athletics today from lunchtime, bit better but not sure about the mixed 4x400. Maybe it's an early move to solve the trans dilemma though.

Eurosport is the place to go if you can get it.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Not knowing the difference between a dessert spoon and a table spoon. 

This has been getting on my tits for some time. 

Alright Wadsworth, I never even asked you to set the table in the first place.

I'll just slurp my alphabetti spaghetti from the bowl from now on. Jeez.

15 hours ago, superbigal said:

Why do people pronounce lieutenant as Loo Tenant ?
It's fecking Left Tenant.
It even means to walk to the left of a senior officer ffs.

15 hours ago, coprolite said:

American isn't it? 

It is also spelled loo-tenant so that probably doesn't help. 

As it is derived from French, lootenant is actually more correct, is it not?

For the same reason the way they say "Erbs" is historically more correct, but also fucking ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As it is derived from French, lootenant is actually more correct, is it not?

If by more you mean 'entirely', yes. 

God knows what those bumbling clowns say when they come across the phrase 'in lieu of...'. 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

If by more you mean 'entirely', yes. 

God knows what those bumbling clowns say when they come across the phrase 'in lieu of...'. 

In pure spelling terms, yes, entirely correct.

The British pronunciation is not 100% derived from the spelling alone, though.

This thread inspired me to look up if there is a World Record for egg and spoon race, and was surprised to see there is. Sally Pearson, who won the actual 100 metres gold medal, ran the 100 metres in 16.59 seconds. I like her now.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/sally-pearson-world-record-egg-and-spoon-run-track-and-field/

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

This thread inspired me to look up if there is a World Record for egg and spoon race, and was surprised to see there is. Sally Pearson, who won the actual 100 metres gold medal, ran the 100 metres in 16.59 seconds. I like her now.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/sally-pearson-world-record-egg-and-spoon-run-track-and-field/

She was a hurdler rather than the 100m flat, which probably helped her balance. I reckon out and out 100m runners would struggle