Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

It was in Dorset. Someone threatened to bomb various Tesco stores. To pay the ransom they produced theses special loyalty/club cards that could be used to anonymously withdraw cash. 
There is a decent documentary on Netflix about this but I don't think it was clubcards, could be wrong though.

Just now, Empty It said:
42 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:
It was in Dorset. Someone threatened to bomb various Tesco stores. To pay the ransom they produced theses special loyalty/club cards that could be used to anonymously withdraw cash. 

There is a decent documentary on Netflix about this but I don't think it was clubcards, could be wrong though.

I'll put it on my list.

29 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
I think it's likely that they now encourage their use so they can flog the shopping patterns of millions of named customers to anyone prepared to pay. 

100% it's a data mining exercise, and a very good one at that.

They will be scratching their heads with mine then cause I scoop up all the receipts at the tills and get the points put on. Plus, if the receipt has a "you would have saved x with clubcard" you get the amount back, sometimes a few quid.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Pointless fact but dunnhumby are the Company who came up withe Clubcard.

Shandon's post has sent me down a wormhole of Tesco blackmailers.

One of them posted dead spiders to Dundee, and another was caught due to his welly boots.

Edit: I'll be surprised if the concept of loyalty cards didn't come from America - they used to have shops who'd ask for your address when making purchases. No reason given, they just wanted your address, and people would give it to them.

Edited by BFTD

58 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

They will be scratching their heads with mine then cause I scoop up all the receipts at the tills and get the points put on. Plus, if the receipt has a "you would have saved x with clubcard" you get the amount back, sometimes a few quid.

If you like that sort of thing, simply sit on the street with an upturned hat. 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I occasionally send my shite, should I have demanded money in exchange?

Is "shite to Dundee" the new "coals to Newcastle"?

3 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
3 hours ago, welshbairn said:
I think it's likely that they now encourage their use so they can flog the shopping patterns of millions of named customers to anyone prepared to pay. 

100% it's a data mining exercise, and a very good one at that.

I read a thing recently that showed the airline's loyalty card programme was worth more than the airlines themselves. It's the only thing of value they have - the planes are all leased and they have very few assets. 

36 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I read a thing recently that showed the airline's loyalty card programme was worth more than the airlines themselves. It's the only thing of value they have - the planes are all leased and they have very few assets

Normal practice, not just for airlines. Renting something is offset against corporation tax. Owning it costs you money on a recurring basis.

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Watching an episode of Ghost Adventures.

Even though it’s a place in the US referring to “Edinburg” house in “Skotch” is irritating

I once heard a Yank utterly confuse a Lothian Buses driver by asking to go to "Dalkett" (Dalkeith)

If I ever go to septic land I'll pronounce all their places wrong. That'll show them.

I once heard a Yank utterly confuse a Lothian Buses driver by asking to go to "Dalkett" (Dalkeith)
If I ever go to septic land I'll pronounce all their places wrong. That'll show them.
Not recommended, you'll probably be shot

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You don't even have to do that - just say the place name without adding the state/country to baffle them i.e. "I had a great vacation in Paris" - 'Paris?"  - "Yes, Paris,  In France."  - "Ah, that Paris."

6 hours ago, Swarley said:
10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not recommended, you'll probably be shot

Nah, he's white.