Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 07/10/2022 at 12:24, virginton said:

It was always Shko-da because that's how its actual name - Škoda - is pronounced. That the gammons who have contributed so much to Benidorm's cultural diversity weren't able to grasp that at the time is irrelevant. 

Fun fact: The word 'škoda' means pity or shame, as in when something unfortunate happens to you. Like buying any of their cars from the 1990s. 

There's a definite trend lately to almost come across as hip by pronuncing foreign brand names correctly rather than the anglicised version that has been accepted for years.

I wonder what makes this happen, though, as it's not consistent across the board. Walk into a bar and ask for a Löwenbräu and you will be looked at like you are a dick, for example. Nivea is another example.

No-one would ever say Sporting Gijón correctly nor Paris St. Germain wrongly.

What makes some brands/names ok to anglicise whilst others you wouldn't ever?

Edited by Todd_is_God

There's a definite trend lately to almost come across as hip by pronuncing foreign brand names correctly rather than the anglicised version that has been accepted for years.
I wonder what makes this happen, though, as it's not consistent across the board. Walk into a bar and ask for a Löwenbräu and you will be looked at like you are a dick, for example. Nivea is another example.
No-one would ever say Sporting Gijón correctly nor Paris St. Germain wrongly.
What makes some brands/names ok to anglicise whilst others you wouldn't ever?
People love to pronounce French words in an overly authentic way. But say you're taking your child to "kindergarten" in a proud teutonic accent and folk start looking at you strangely.

21 hours ago, BFTD said:

For anyone unaware, the Chinese spambots are still creating hundreds of threads about random universities every night. The site's full of them when I get up at 5am, but they're all gone by 9am. f**k only knows what they get out of it.

I report each and every one. Div gives out Freddos as finder's fees.

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Nestle's. For most of my life it was "Nessels" then it suddenly became "Ness-lay".

24 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Frisbee. What a pointless, joyless, useless activity. Only utter weirdos "play" it.

It's an excellent way to spend quality time with ones young children. Especially when they miss their catch and get hit in the face. Then throw it back really hard from point blank range in a tear fuelled rage. Wholesome family fun.