Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

You do know you can switch that on or off, aye?

No I didn't. Bit of a quandary now, as soon I switch it off some guy will book an Uber in Australia on my card, happened before.. 

49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wish I hadn't downloaded the app now, having to confirm nearly every online purchase, even if it's £3.20 or something.

Monzo is the same. It's a pain in thre arse.

On 07/10/2022 at 16:15, Hedgecutter said:

Milngavie is considered as being part of teuchterland? That's a surprise, even for on here.

Despicably full of middle to upper class Tories, but agree that trying to pap it off on the poor, unsuspecting Teuchters definitely seems a tad harsh. 

On 07/10/2022 at 06:42, Hedgecutter said:

You should go for a walk to calm down.  I certainly would.

Anyway, the German girl I work with gets pissed off with folk here pronouncing Lidl as liddle, rather than leedle as it is in Germany.

Thing is, the Lidl adverts here say liddle on it, maybe simply because "leedle on price" doesn't work and the marketing team are bereft of other ideas.  Such selling-out just riles her even more.

Eta: I can be a bit of a pronunciation nazi when it comes to place names.  Moh-ray Firth is probably the one that gets on my tits the most, but central belters on TV saying mal-ay-g rather than mall-ig (when saying Mallaig) is a close second.

There are a few oil fields that were clearly named by folk in London reading mountains / place names off a map, and things like Foyne-aven rather than Foy-na-vin (for Foinaven) are annoyingly too well engrained.  Plenty of other things like this ending up in lectures etc, and I'm guilty of shoehorning in terms just to say them properly.  Nothing petty about ignorance.  

It can’t be leedle. The middle at Lidl doesn’t work then. 

Virginton is correct regarding Škoda. The hacek changes the s from "ss" to "sh". Similarly it changes c from "ts" to "ch" and e from "eh" to "nyeh".

They also use symbols above other vowels to indicate long or short pronunciation which eliminates, for example, read/read and all the ridiculous -ough  variants.

Also, Ric and others, the Czech language also has no silent letters.

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Virginton is correct regarding Škoda. The hacek changes the s from "ss" to "sh". Similarly it changes c from "ts" to "ch" and e from "eh" to "nyeh".

They also use symbols above other vowels to indicate long or short pronunciation which eliminates, for example, read/read and all the ridiculous -ough  variants.

Also, Ric and others, the Czech language also has no silent letters.

See Antonio Čolak (cho-lack, not ko-lack) that the media, and perhaps Rangers themselves, seem to be struggling with. 

I noticed one of the electronic boards at Ibrox displaying the name as 'Colak', leaving me unsure of whether it's ignorance or just a scrolling board incapable of dealing with the hacek (aka háček).

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

My Platinum sub just ran out.

Always horrifying to discover what this site looks like to Gold users.

Your platinum sub runs out and half the forum gets hijacked by China.

Anything to try get a free sub eh?

Edited by 8MileBU

Took the day off yesterday to go into Glasgow for a spot of lunch with my wife 

Due to the rail strikes we had to get the bus. Why anyone would willingly choose this form of transport is beyond mean hour and ten minutes to go from East Kilbride to Glasgow. 2 returns £9 not a kick in the arse off the train price.

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Your platinum sub runs out and half the forum gets hijacked by China.

Anything to try get a free sub eh?

For anyone unaware, the Chinese spambots are still creating hundreds of threads about random universities every night. The site's full of them when I get up at 5am, but they're all gone by 9am. f**k only knows what they get out of it.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

For anyone unaware, the Chinese spambots are still creating hundreds of threads about random universities every night. The site's full of them when I get up at 5am, but they're all gone by 9am. f**k only knows what they get out of it.

BeiJings! The site's been shanghaied! 

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Took the day off yesterday to go into Glasgow for a spot of lunch with my wife 

Due to the rail strikes we had to get the bus. Why anyone would willingly choose this form of transport is beyond mean hour and ten minutes to go from East Kilbride to Glasgow. 2 returns £9 not a kick in the arse off the train price.

I hope you put your bus trousers on.