Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 08/03/2024 at 12:59, Leith Green said:

The phrase "Oh My Days" as used by - apparently - all young people, and some not so young now.

Just. f**k. Off.

It'll be a phrase they've picked up from some shite American TV series or on thon' internet thing.

Today's youth and their Americanisms boil my piss no end. Heard a couple of gothy looking boys referring to two approaching policemen as 'the feds', and have also heard youngsters calling their home their 'crib'. It's 'polis' and 'hoose' for f**k's sake. Get all that shite in the bin.

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

It'll be a phrase they've picked up from some shite American TV series or on thon' internet thing.

Today's youth and their Americanisms boil my piss no end. Heard a couple of gothy looking boys referring to two approaching policemen as 'the feds', and have also heard youngsters calling their home their 'crib'. It's 'polis' and 'hoose' for f**k's sake. Get all that shite in the bin.

I always think of London youth rather than an Americanism when I hear it tbh. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My teenage daughter uses “oh my days” regularly and to be fair i prefer her using that than “f**k sakes”. I think she got one off of the tik tok and the other off of me.

I think James O'Brien uses "oh my days"... Mind you, he's on the radio, so presumably has to fund alternative forms of expressing discontent.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My teenage daughter uses “oh my days” regularly and to be fair i prefer her using that than “f**k sakes”. I think she got one off of the tik tok and the other off of me.

My son uses "for fucks sake" and he definitely got that from me.

#pwoud

53 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I wish they would stop it already.

We "yer da" types probably used Yank slang when we were young but I can't remember what. 

I can remember talking about dosh (for money) as a lad and my dad said to his pal "They think that's all new slang but we were using that in the 1950s"

9 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Queued for 15 minutes at the cafe at ravenscraig to get a coffee only to be told when I got to the till that I can't buy coffee from that queue. 

*Insert sick joke about Lanarkshire dole queue historic re-enactment at Ravenscraig here*

I wouldn't have queued 15 minutes for a bloody coffee. 

7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Never heard it used in the U.S., seems to be a London thing.

Smartphone keyboards being too small for my fucking thumbs. Also having to text using only my thumbs on a qwerty keyboard. I used to be lightning fast on the old style of texting but now it's all just frustratingly slow and often error-strewn.

Boo.

7 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Queued for 15 minutes at the cafe at ravenscraig to get a coffee only to be told when I got to the till that I can't buy coffee from that queue. 

Did the say “You for coffee?”

Spoiler

IMG_8515.jpeg.23b7d75a1f8bfc46036608bb57069739.jpeg

12 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Mac n' Cheese

There have been multiple occasions whereby I've actually fancied it off the menu, but not ordered it because of the M n' C wording.  Yes, I'm that petty.  Petty, but principled.

Sitting in the 'quiet' lounge on a ferry, and the quiet is punctuated every few seconds by various people coughing their guts up.

I'm much more aware of this these days. Not sure if it's just me getting older and more easily irritated, but aside from that, it doesn't sound healthy and if it were me I'd be concerned. It's entirely young men in their 20s & 30s.