The New Raith Rovers Thread

That wasn't really a pop at you ssr. See it all too often on the fb page etc.

I am a gk and can tell you we do lose our pace. Its probably more telling over 5 yards than a striker losing his pace would be aswell. The good 'keepers make up for it with better positional sense etc though. That's why I retired and got a season ticket for starks.

Lennox has potential but is made of glass. Not a great atrribute to have for a 'keeper.

If Wilkie and Duggan are actually genuine targets for you guys then maybe you won’t scoosh the league like I thought you would. Would expect you to be going for better than that, they 2 wouldn’t get in your strongest 11 the season past. I’d say Spence and Barr were both better, 2 downgrades.

If Wilkie and Duggan are actually genuine targets for you guys then maybe you won’t scoosh the league like I thought you would. Would expect you to be going for better than that, they 2 wouldn’t get in your strongest 11 the season past. I’d say Spence and Barr were both better, 2 downgrades.

We are keeping Smith, what else do you expect?

I’d also be looking at guys freed in the Championship or above as even average Championship level players can be standout down here, see Shankland. Nothing against signing one or two from East Fife or others if they’re decent, would he worried if we pick up more than that as there’s not that much quality there. 

Probably spot on there. You can pick up the odd gem from below but players playing part time are 99% of the time are there for a reason. I thought McHattie might have gotten better as he dropped but sadly he didn’t, no doubt injuries played a huge part.

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Where did you think our board was getting the AstroTurf from? Just a few more gardens round Livingston and we’ll be ready for next season.

It's guaranteed to be miles better than the Pars effort, it looked like it had been knitted together from a greengrocers trestle table.

Was surprise to see Paul Watson released by Falkirk along with Peter Grant. You’d think either would make good signings for us if at all possible. John Rankin would surely be a good signing at this level, also a free agent. Rory McKeown playing down the lower leagues in England with Warrington Town. He’d be a far better shout than McHattie if he’s available in the summer.

Was surprise to see Paul Watson released by Falkirk along with Peter Grant. You’d think either would make good signings for us if at all possible. John Rankin would surely be a good signing at this level, also a free agent. Rory McKeown playing down the lower leagues in England with Warrington Town. He’d be a far better shout than McHattie if he’s available in the summer.

Like your thinking, but that’s too much thinking outside the box. Smith only has eyes for East Fife players sheesh.

11 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

£70k or £40k are both absolute pittances. This is 2018. I’m spending £40k on a fucking loft conversion and I’m not exactly rich. Callachan’s value to the team would have far outstripped that money. Could we not have negotiated a similar deal to the one Celtic gave St Mirren for Lewis Morgan, where he gets to stay with his club to the end of the season then moves on? No we couldn’t cause we’re fucking Raith Rovers.

Keeping Callachan would have probably seen us romping to the league title rather than having to spend another season (at least) in the fucking Seaside league.

On the P&B naming on this league, now there are so many artificial pitches should it not be the Plastic League?

Or no because Hearts were looking for players to come in to their team immediately, and Celtic were buying a long term prospect.

And no because the player had just had a 25% wage reduction after relegation - so was unlikely to want to stay.

In this day and age of bosman, player power, a player can walk if they want and the club are almost powerless to stop them - players at our level are generally only worth what it costs to buy out the last year of their contract.

10 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:
13 hours ago, Deadly said:
Have the club announced season ticket prices since the early bird offer?

Someone mentioned earlier that the club hadn't emailed existing season ticket holders which seems madness. I just thought I'd missed it or it went to a junk folder.

Gonna forget the dog shit served up in the playoffs and get me and the wee lads bought again.

Nothing yet from the club. The release of early bird tickets over a 2 day period was just ridiculous though. Due to work I had no chance of taking up the option. I don't plan on getting one this season due but if I was I'd be pretty upset that cause in contact the club over a two day period that I'd lost out. I'm sure last year the early bird offer was on until June?

I had work as well - but was easy enough to phone up.

There has been 2 separate season ticket windows now.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Spence and Barr weren’t part of our strongest 11 in the season just passed. emoji23.png

Exactly, spoken like someone who hasn’t seen Barr and Spence play the last year and is going purely off reputation.

Wilkie and Duggan are not exactly inspiring signings but certainly wouldn’t be a downgrade based on what we’ve seen the past season.

Duggan scored more goals than Spence in a dreadful East Fife team isolated on his own upfront. He will also suit our style of play more. Spence works hard which helps him escape criticism but he has flattered to deceive this season and has been a big disappointment for me. Bobby Barr hasn’t put in a consistent run of performances since around September 2016, it will be a relief to see him finally go.

Edited by R.R.FC

Aye, I’m John Sim. You’ll like it. And you’ll lump it Sonny. Now you get down to Starks First thing tomorrow and get a season ticket. Good lad.

Awww okay. I’m a bit skint but I suppose I need to start paying for this plastic pitch.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely Barr was, he played nearly every week

What would you say was your strongest 11?

The fact Barr played every week certainly isn't an endorsement on his abilities.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely Barr was, he played nearly every week

What would you say was your strongest 11?

Barr probably played more games than any of the other wide players but you'll struggle to find many Rovers fans who would put him in a strongest 11. Most fans I reckon would pick Zanatta, Furtado or Vaughan to play on the wing before Barr.  He has obvious ability but lacks end product and has a questionable attitude. Hopefully never see him in a rovers strip again. 

10 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Also, I'd be disappointed if we went for a player at this level who haven't really shown much, rather than looking at players potentially from the Championship or the top tier who have been released. 

The Frank Connor method of management. Nothing wrong with that.