The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ayr fans were claiming there were offers from premiership clubs for Shankland :lol:

Well then I guess you know what offers Shankland had.

It’s very likely that at least one Premiership club wanted him after the season he had. He arguably had a better season than El Bak did at Dunfermline a few seasons ago and he went straight to Dundee.

It’s very likely that at least one Premiership club wanted him after the season he had. He arguably had a better season than El Bak did at Dunfermline a few seasons ago and he went straight to Dundee.

“El Bak” was an unknown quantity though, untested. Shankland has already flopped in the Premiership before.

When did I say this?

No Problemo said that Loy won’t have offers from the championship or he wouldn’t be signing for the Rovers yet not too long ago Ayr fans were claiming that premiership clubs were in for Shankland yet he decided to sign on with yourselves.

When did I say this?

No Problemo said that Loy won’t have offers from the championship or he wouldn’t be signing for the Rovers yet not too long ago Ayr fans were claiming that premiership clubs were in for Shankland yet he decided to sign on with yourselves.

I don’t see many if any Championship teams looking to sign Loy after the season he’s had. It would make sense for him to drop down a league and try and to build his reputation back up. That’s what Shankland did when we signed him last season.

Just because Shankland re-signed with us doesn’t mean he didn’t have offers from the Premiership. If anything it shows he’s not stupid that he wouldn’t just jump at the first sign of more money or a better club.

Folk need to calm their tits, none of these players have signed yet. If we did sign Loy he could end up being another Buchanan i.e. flattering to deceive or he could do a Shankland and run riot at this level. Time will tell. My gut feeling is any of those players mentioned would be welcome additions in the league we're in and I'd be a bit more relaxed at how the team would be shaping up if they put pen to paper. In reality the chances of us landing all 4 are slim and if it transpires that we do manage to sign Loy and Gillespie it's another part of the jigsaw complete at getting the squad finalised. The backbone of the team is there with a relatively sound defence and a good strike force (on paper at least) and we've released the bulk of the dross from last season. For all the criticism aimed at Thomson and/or Loy from Falkirk fans I think there is a big jump in quality from this league to Championship level so I'm not overly concerned at any negative feedback they are posting about these players. 

Spoken to a few Utd supporting mates and all of them saying Gillespie can be a bit hit and miss at times but would definitely do a job for us in League 1.

Also hearing Flood has plenty better offers on table so highly doubt he'd come our way.

Assuming based on these names that it means we're not looking for any full backs and will go with Watson on the right and Murray left.

21 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Assuming based on these names that it means we're not looking for any full backs and will go with Watson on the right and Murray left.

Suppose it depends if any of the trailists impress. Personally I feel Watson at right back is a recipe for disaster, wasn't confident at all when he played last season. 

Suppose it depends if any of the trailists impress. Personally I feel Watson at right back is a recipe for disaster, wasn't confident at all when he played last season. 

Jamie Watson is 18.

He’ll improve with game time. He wasn’t as poor as fans were making out though.

13 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Jamie Watson is 18.

He’ll improve with game time. He wasn’t as poor as fans were making out though.

Dave McKay struggled at the start too, but gradually adjusted to the level. I'm confident with game time (where appropriate) Watson can do well too. Even bad games are learning experiences. He's had as many good games as bad games. 

So we've established McKay struggled but improved with game time and we've established that Watson, who also struggled at times, will also improve with game time....but only a week or so ago we were shitting ourselves at the prospect of Berry and Stevenson being first team starters. Why?...surely they, as per the other young players mentioned, will improve with game time. Will we start with Berry and Stevenson? I very much doubt it. Will we start with McKay? probably not. If Smith had the option to bring in a more recongised right back, would he? guaranteed he would and for all we know he might still do that. 

A full back is on a hiding to nothing if he's having a nightmare. At CB you can be bailed out by the other CB if youmake an error, but at full back you're on a hiding to nothing. 

Of course the nearest CB *could* cover for you, but then some very large gaps appear...

I think Watson still has a lot to learn and maybe isn't quite ready yet. Would definitely be more comfortable with a RB signing as well.