The New Raith Rovers Thread

51 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Raith Rovers implode quite regularly so no big surprise there. Falkingham deserved his strangulation 😝😝

Form an orderly queue along with fans of Cowden & Peterhead 

Also being reported by The Record

Jamie MacDonald has turned down a new contract and looks set to leave Raith Rovers.

The experienced keeper was offered a new deal but was asked to take a significant cut.

The 37-year-old has other Championship options and is also on the radar of a Premiership side, who are looking to bring in another goalkeeper as back-up.

MacDonald, who has been at Kirkcaldy since 2020, was one of Rovers’ most consistent performers this season and in recent years.

It remains to be seen if a deal can be struck but it is looking increasingly likely he will be set for a fresh start next season.

24 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Well looks like were gonna have to find a new first choice Goalkeeper as Jamie MacDonald has rejected a new deal according to the daily record sport as he was asked to take a significant pay cut supposedly but I thought we had a “competitive budget” 

Rumours was he was our highest paid player and I am a big fan of him but I wouldn’t press the panic button if we are trying to be smart with contracts, about time!! we may pick up a lesser keeper but better cb’s 🤷🏻‍♂️ time will tell 

Edited by Been going too long

It’ll be a real shame to lose Jamie I’ve been a big fan of his but paying over the odds for a 37 year old when we need to get a bigger squad isn’t the end of the world.  Hopefully we get a decent no 1 in to replace him.

Surely 24 players will not include Arnott, Masson, Mitchell who all need to be playing at a lower level to gain experience. If that's the case then we need to ensure the players coming in are better than what we have and not injury prone. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

McNeil, Arnott, Mitchell, Masson, Young and Coulson (for a bit)

Potentially he'd be looking at a fair few extra bodies in that case.

And Mahady, the only one who actually did get punted into the Lowland League. 

5 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Also being reported by The Record

Jamie MacDonald has turned down a new contract and looks set to leave Raith Rovers.

The experienced keeper was offered a new deal but was asked to take a significant cut.

The 37-year-old has other Championship options and is also on the radar of a Premiership side, who are looking to bring in another goalkeeper as back-up.

MacDonald, who has been at Kirkcaldy since 2020, was one of Rovers’ most consistent performers this season and in recent years.

It remains to be seen if a deal can be struck but it is looking increasingly likely he will be set for a fresh start next season.

I'm quite conflicted on this. On the one hand, I think Jamie MacDonald is an outstanding goalkeeper, comfortably one of the best in the division in the season just gone. However, he's at an age where fitness and injuries are inevitably going to catch up with him, and like most goalkeepers who play into their late 30s, he'll look great until suddenly he doesn't. There's going to be a cliff edge there somewhere. It might not be in the next twelve months, but it easily could be. 

If he does end up agreeing a new deal, I'll be pleased, but it does just kick the can further down the road. He's not going to still be our goalkeeper the season after next. I imagine that's what's being reflected in the significant cut to the wages being offered. Even if he signs, we're still going to need another goalkeeper this time next year, and might end up looking in January regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Rumours was he was our highest paid player and I am a big fan of him I wouldn’t press the panic button if we are trying to be smart with contracts, about time we may pick up a lesser keeper but better cb’s 🤷🏻‍♂️ time will tell 

That’s true maybe I’m overreacting a bit there’s maybe 1 or 2 keepers I would take from the Championship to come into our squad but they’re most certainly not upto his level and if it is to get better CBs then I’m fine with that tbh 

Would be a shame to lose MacDonald, he is a solid, reliable Championship keeper and it’s a position that if you get wrong can ruin your entire season (see Dundee United this season).

I don’t think he’s been as good this season as some others do. Don’t get me wrong, I still think he’s had a good season and I’d be happy to see him stay but there have probably been more goals he’s conceded this season where I thought he could have done better or he’s actually been at fault for than the previous two combined, particularly just after he returned from injury. That’s probably more of a sign of how few mistakes he’s made for us than anything else though.

At 37, I don’t think you can justify having him as one of, if not our top earner, his form could drop off at any minute. Generally goalkeepers play into their late 30’s but there is no guarantee. No idea if we could get him but my number 1 choice to replace him, if he goes, would be Kevin Dabrowski.

Edited by R.R.FC

8 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

That’s true maybe I’m overreacting a bit there’s maybe 1 or 2 keepers I would take from the Championship to come into our squad but they’re most certainly not upto his level and if it is to get better CBs then I’m fine with that tbh 

I would rather jammer stayed but not at any cost 

Daily Record have us in for Barjonas (unsurprisingly) but we face competition from Queens Park.

They also mention Kieron Bowie looks likely to head out on loan to a Scottish Premier League side next season with St Mirren the favourites at the moment.

I'd have been comfortable giving MacDonald what he was on last season. He's one of our best players. 

Then again, I have no idea exactly what he was on and there's every chance he was on one of the hilarious McGlynn increases contracts. I would have much preferred to keep him, but not at any price. 

So, two players I was not fussed for keeping stay, and one of the two I really wanted to keep confirmed leaving. I am sure the better signing news will happen soon. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Pavol Penska:

Strengths: Reach

Weakness: Turns into Daniel LaRusso in the opening minute of vital matches. 

Aye but he was brilliantly mental. Loved him kissing both posts then missing every damn cross ball against St Mirren in his debut.

Munro, another who couldn't deal with cross balls.

Graeme Smith who was genuinely shite at everything and once unsuccessfully tried to skin Trouten through at Cliftonhill.

Brennan. Also just generally pish with no redeeming features.

Lennox? Spent most of his time with us injured and tended to look like he dived in stages.

Who am I missing?

1 minute ago, renton said:

Aye but he was brilliantly mental. Loved him kissing both posts then missing every damn cross ball against St Mirren in his debut.

Munro, another who couldn't deal with cross balls.

Graeme Smith who was genuinely shite at everything and once unsuccessfully tried to skin Trouten through at Cliftonhill.

Brennan. Also just generally pish with no redeeming features.

Lennox? Spent most of his time with us injured and tended to look like he dived in stages.

Who am I missing?

We're being unfair to Robbie Thomson since he was here before MacDonald and is a decent keeper