The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

That's a surprise that both Edinburgh games are on at the same time, no surprise that the tv games feature the erse cheeks though

It is a surprise. I’m assuming they’ve got the okay from the police. 

Personally, 2pm on the Sunday is the optimum kick off time for me. I might even make the game.

Edited by Scary Bear

2 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Was always going to be Sunday with Hibs being in Europe. Shite but inevitable. 2pm is actually not bad though - decent amount of time for beers before and after but without eating too late into the night with work on Monday. 

Hibs could be out of Europe by the end of the week could they not if they lose to that Andorra team again? 

6 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

For anyone to wanting to experience how bad the commentary on the stream was on Saturday:

https://youtu.be/uN2r1eX1hqo

Well there's showing a slight bias then there's that.

He bigs up Flemmings saves, never once mentions that it's because his team is under the cosh, slates the penalty for being soft (WTF was he watching?) and the kick for being poor.

Worst though is his calling for a foul in the build up to their 2nd but totally missing the trip on McGill which  resulted in 3 players going down and us getting opened up like a can of sardines.

Takes some doing but I'd say he's worse than the slavering fermer at Gayfield.

28 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

He bigs up Flemmings saves, never once mentions that it's because his team is under the cosh, slates the penalty for being soft (WTF was he watching?) and the kick for being poor.

Worst though is his calling for a foul in the build up to their 2nd but totally missing the trip on McGill which  resulted in 3 players going down and us getting opened up like a can of sardines.

Looked like two separate incidents, McGill was tripped and fell, Corr tripped their guy and they both fell over. 

Convinced the commentator was Jack from Still Game

22 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Give the guy a break.  He's just a volunteer who is an obvious fan.  It's good to see and hear the likes of his and Fermer's enthusiasm.

What is it you guys expect from volunteers eh?  John Barnes was exceptional on Killie TV the other night, but he is a pro.  You know you have a volume control on your watching device .... well bloody use it if you don't like what you hear.  I used to stand on the ash terracing at Starks Park before segregation, and we had to listen to far worse than this.  What I would have given for a volume control way back then.

Corr definitely at fault for the first goal, and slightly suspect at the second!  All in my humble opinion of course.

L

44 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Give the guy a break.  He's just a volunteer who is an obvious fan.  It's good to see and hear the likes of his and Fermer's enthusiasm.

What is it you guys expect from volunteers eh?  John Barnes was exceptional on Killie TV the other night, but he is a pro.  You know you have a volume control on your watching device .... well bloody use it if you don't like what you hear.  I used to stand on the ash terracing at Starks Park before segregation, and we had to listen to far worse than this.  What I would have given for a volume control way back then.

Why should people pay £10 for a stream only to have to mute it because the commentator is sitting acting like he's some amateur football coach? If you're a club, find someone who can do it in a professional manner. There's being a bit biased and then there's this guy.

It's much Arbroath as mentioned. It plays into the "ha ha Scottish football is a disorganised pub league! what we like min?" stereotype. The whole Cinch stuff is fine from fans and I've no issue with clubs having banter on stuff like Twitter but you've got them talking about "hitting the beans on toast". Did we morph into Lock, Stocked and two Smokies? They hit a wee bit of viral content with "aww jeezy peeps" and now they're kicking the arse out of it. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 hour ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Corr definitely at fault for the first goal, and slightly suspect at the second!  All in my humble opinion of course.

Give the guy a break, he's just a young player learning the game...

What is it you guys expect from young players eh? 😁

Totally bizarre blaming young players for something like that given they're playing their 4th competitive game at this level. As long as he learns with each mistake, I'm good with it happening, the main thing is we recover from it. Someone earlier saying the mistake cost us goal difference but also ignored the 13 shots we had completely off target and the other 6 from our 22 total that failed to find the net are more of an issue.

But yes the first goal was a poor touch by Corr which caused the issue however, I question why both centre halves were that close together on that side of the pitch and no one had dropped in to cover the massive gap along with Dick. Had Brown or Matthews been playing, we probably would have got away with that.

Second goal, hand it to the Annan lad, he took his chance very well. Should have been stopped in the build up though, again a proper sitting midfielder helps snuff that out. 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's the singing section been given the go ahead for the rest of the season.... 

Disappointed with that. Diluted the atmosphere to nil against the pars in the South stand. 
Credit to the board for trying it and I’m sure the guys in there love it but not for me.

39 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Disappointed with that. Diluted the atmosphere to nil against the pars in the South stand. 
Credit to the board for trying it and I’m sure the guys in there love it but not for me.

You will just have to help create a bit of atmosphere in the south stand then rather than leave it to the young team 😉 

13 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Hibs could be out of Europe by the end of the week could they not if they lose to that Andorra team again? 

Aye, this is true. But very unlikely they will be out this round - would expect a home win on Thursday. If the unlikely happened, I do wonder if the clubs would try and shift the game. I suppose that would depend on whether Hibs start selling anything (tickets, hospitality etc. before this Friday).

I’ll be hoping Hibs do shit the bed though on Thursday as 1. It opens this slim possibility but 2. Mostly, it would be funny as f**k. 

17 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Give the guy a break, he's just a young player learning the game...

What is it you guys expect from young players eh? 😁

Totally bizarre blaming young players for something like that given they're playing their 4th competitive game at this level. As long as he learns with each mistake, I'm good with it happening, the main thing is we recover from it. Someone earlier saying the mistake cost us goal difference but also ignored the 13 shots we had completely off target and the other 6 from our 22 total that failed to find the net are more of an issue.

But yes the first goal was a poor touch by Corr which caused the issue however, I question why both centre halves were that close together on that side of the pitch and no one had dropped in to cover the massive gap along with Dick. Had Brown or Matthews been playing, we probably would have got away with that.

Second goal, hand it to the Annan lad, he took his chance very well. Should have been stopped in the build up though, again a proper sitting midfielder helps snuff that out. 

It's a fair point CB to ask what I expect from a young player:

However, I in return would ask, have we just become a Nursery club?  We used to have reserve teams and leagues where young players would learn their game and hone off the rough edges. Sadly it seems we now bring young players in too soon because there would appear to be no other way of giving them game time.  Unless you are one of the super rich clubs who have B teams playing in our lower league, which is where Corr was before we signed him.  I Genuinely admire Young Corr.  I am positive he has the makings of a very good defender, but I fear right now, we may do more harm than good in playing these young lads too soon and exposing them, (especially defenders) to far more experienced opponents therefore denting their confidence.

I fear my criticism of the lad is being entirely misunderstood as a slant against him.  It is most definitely NOT.  I am convinced one day he will be an excellent defender.

I am just angry at a system that exposes these lads far too soon and possibly to the detriment of their career.  In criticising the lad I am genuinely trying to point out the complicated by product of a system that we are forced to adopt simply because all the cash goes to the so called "big clubs".  Would they put up with young players learning from their mistakes in their first teams and costing goals?  

You bet your life they wouldn't.  

Oh, but wait a minute, I forgot, THEY DON'T HAVE TO!

6 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

It's a fair point CB to ask what I expect from a young player:

However, I in return would ask, have we just become a Nursery club?  We used to have reserve teams and leagues where young players would learn their game and hone off the rough edges. Sadly it seems we now bring young players in too soon because there would appear to be no other way of giving them game time.  Unless you are one of the super rich clubs who have B teams playing in our lower league, which is where Corr was before we signed him.  I Genuinely admire Young Corr.  I am positive he has the makings of a very good defender, but I fear right now, we may do more harm than good in playing these young lads too soon and exposing them, (especially defenders) to far more experienced opponents therefore denting their confidence.

I fear my criticism of the lad is being entirely misunderstood as a slant against him.  It is most definitely NOT.  I am convinced one day he will be an excellent defender.

I am just angry at a system that exposes these lads far too soon and possibly to the detriment of their career.  In criticising the lad I am genuinely trying to point out the complicated by product of a system that we are forced to adopt simply because all the cash goes to the so called "big clubs".  Would they put up with young players learning from their mistakes in their first teams and costing goals?  

You bet your life they wouldn't.  

Oh, but wait a minute, I forgot, THEY DON'T HAVE TO!

Its a total double edged sword isn't it. Young players need to play to get better and teams want success and at times can't trust young players. We know reserve team football isn't good enough, thats why clubs are pushing for this B Team nonsense in the Lowland leagues and in cups.

In my opinion, we should always be a club that gives young players as many games as possible, only need to look at what we have now with Matthews, Masson, Arnott, Mitchell and Vaughan all being given chances and at various stages of their careers having started here. With young players you'll have mistakes but for me its how the team recovers from them and helps the young players through those times. 

Corr will learn more right now making errors than he will sitting on the bench not getting opportunities to improve.