The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

What to expect? Seems a bit of a coup if indeed he is fit. Is he a holding mid?

Winger/inside forward. Very much the type McGlynn likes. Scored the winner in the SC game we played at Falkirk 2 seasons back after Tumilty got sent off for us.

Hmm, he's looked really good when he's come on as a sub and has been involved in goals as well. 

Sounds to me like he's way down the pecking order for Murray, u agree that I'd have him over Gullan but Murray seems to rate him more. Alternatively he's asked to go on loan perhaps prompted by some contact from the Grangemouth area. 

Hopefully McGlynn gets him playing week in week out and he comes back in January in form just in the for the injury pile up. 

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Very, very good player but I am surprised he's ended up at Falkirk, he'll be on a decent wage and I thought that Agyeman and Morrison were very good options out wide already. 

Agyeman playing a central role behind striker really. I think Mcglynn has maybe correctly identified tracking back and positional awareness is not his strong suit

I can see the sense in it, but my overwhelming reaction is disappointment. As touched on above, he gives us something different with his very direct running, that we don't really get from anyone else. 

Hopefully it's just a case of getting him up to speed with a lot of minutes so he can come back in January at full tilt rather than having to make do with ten minutes every week, but I'd be much happier if we still had him as an option. 

Pretty torn by this. Ethan Ross can be a very very good player.

However, in his time with us he has done very little and if you were to list the forward players in our squad in preferential order, he would come fairly far down the pecking order. A luxury we perhaps cannot afford or can use far better elsewhere in the squad.

Falkirk fans must be happy with this though. If he can stay fit, he will absolutely be a huge asset towards winning League 1

I’m not too bothered about this. With Connolly now back Ross probably wasn't even going to be getting his 10 minute cameos, he’s not here to sit on the bench and we won’t have loaned him to Falkirk for free. I guess the fact Gullan can play up too probably works in his favour because I’d have got shot of him ahead of Ross but there might be some weird appearance fee money in Ross’ contact or something, who know. I think the nature of his last injury as well means he can’t be relied upon as it is something which I think can come and go and flare up at points.

Edited by Enigma

He played very well for us when he has come on as a sub recently.  I think he may well be a big hit in the lower league.

I'm not a Fan of this move, but we cannot play everybody.  This is one of the minor drawbacks with a big squad.  They ALL want to play, but some have to lose out and you can understand them wanting away.

Two ways to look at this. Ethan Ross has asked for more game time and we’ve said we can’t guarantee it due to the level of quality we have in the squad in that area. Alternatively, the Rovers are keen to unload a good wage and give us money to strengthen elsewhere. Or a combination of both. Not buying that this is some terrible decision. He’s barely had a good game for about 18 months. 

Genuinely the last good game I can remember him having was away to Falkirk in the cup on 27th November 2021. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Two ways to look at this. Ethan Ross has asked for more game time and we’ve said we can’t guarantee it due to the level of quality we have in the squad in that area. Alternatively, the Rovers are keen to unload a good wage and give us money to strengthen elsewhere. Or a combination of both. Not buying that this is some terrible decision. He’s barely had a good game for about 18 months. 

Yeah, would agree with this. He definitely helped change the game against Thistle but its instructive that Gullan got the nod before him for the Dunfermline game. May just be down to Gullan having had more of a pre season, or there may still be doubts about Ross's fitness.

As it is, Vaughan and Easton can't get a start, Connolly is back now and you still have Gullan as well. Hard to place Ross above the first three in terms of quality and contribution (albeit he has a differing style which us useful)

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Agree with this. This move makes a lot of sense all round but it does mean we will lose a very good, albeit very injury prone, player. 

Very much a real world difficult decision. Even if the only reason is to balance up some finances then it seems like a sensible move. 

1 hour ago, RaithRyan said:

Ethan Ross shipped on loan to Falkirk until Jan. 

Never seen that coming - wtf!?

Wow! I’m stunned at this. Falkirk fans will be jizzin all over the place when he takes to the field for them. 
really surprised at this one. 

Enjoying some of the comments on X, especially the ones claiming it’s comparable to Vaughan going to Dumbarton, and saying Ross is a literal game change every single week. 

He’s probably our fifth choice wide player, who has had a handful of decent substitute appearances in a year and a half. 

He’s started this season well, but seems a sensible move for everyone involved. Good luck to him! 

The other thing I'd factor in is that Callum Smith has turned out to be really rather good since joining us in the summer, which might well have put Ross one place further down the pecking order. As others have noted above, there are a huge number of players in that area of the park who have all made the case to be starting games. Best-case scenario is that we get Ross back in January with a bit of fitness and game time under his belt, ahead of the second half of the season when injuries and fatigue inevitably mount up.

Thing is, I'd have happily let him go had Falkirk come in for him in the summer. We are well-stocked in this position and he didn't exactly contribute much last season, albeit that was understandable given his injury. I also thought that the signing of Mullin pretty much sealed it that he was surplus to requirements. I also understand he's on pretty decent wage. 

However, he's looked pretty sharp coming off the bench this season and I don't think we have another player that can offer us the directness that he brings. Perhaps Murray doesn't rate him so highly but I think his contributions in the small amount of game time he's had have been good. Overall, I don't think this is a particularly good call for the club. 

18 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Bang goes any chance of recovering what we paid Aberdeen for him, as I doubt very much we'll see him back at Starks unless it's with another team, a very strange decision indeed

He is in the final year of his contract this season anyway, we'd have to have sold him in the summer. Based on last seasons somewhat restricted performances, i'd say that ship had very much sailed...

Edited by CountryBumpkin