The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Nothing much went well for Easton today. Hamilton worked hard but again didn't work out don't know if he's unhappy or not. 

In terms of big Kev I don't know if Murray saw it as too important a game to chuck McNeil straight into. 

I would’ve put Thomson in rested Kev until he fit but Murray took the gamble and thankfully it paid off 

34 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I really want a highlights reel of Millen at full time from games this season. I can't get enough of him losing the plot. 

And a huge ditto to that. It's brilliant watching him, you can tell that a win means so much to him, class act 👏👏

Having watched us today and against Dundee United away I can’t get my head round us losing 2,3 and 4 goals against Arbroath,Partick and Ayr respectively.

Thought Murray n O’Reilly were outstanding today and protected Kev brilliantly. Pars long throw was dangerous and they were commanding at most.

Really surprised Murray risked Kev-still made a couple of top class saves. Hopefully no long lasting damage done.

Byrne class again even after the early booking. Brown gave us a lot of dig and drive. Sure they’ll play together now going forward. Good to see Matthews back on the pitch as well.

Best game in a Raith strip for Mullin-up and down the park as always, strong in the tackle (for a wee change) and delivery is class.

Easton looked sluggish and Vaughan the same towards the end.

We missed Hamilton when he went off-no focal point up front. I know the match situation had changed when Gullan came on but wasn’t impressed with his effort.

All in all and great 3 points and hopefully kicks off another good run of form.

4 hours ago, Railwaystand said:

A well ground out win today. Away game  in a Derby and a bit of a slog is a game we could easily have lost last season and after the last two games and cheap dropped points this was all about getting the 3 points. 

Thought Scott Brown was excellent in the main today and a real stand out. Shaun Byrne needs to be signed at all costs. He is excellent at what he does. 

Watching Easton in the warm up I wasn’t surprised by his showing. I’m usually a massive fan of him but he had one today. He is rarely mentioned but I really don’t see what Josh Mullen brings to the team. IM is clearly a fan however and there is a reason he is where he is and I’m sitting on the sofa typing this! 

There's a time and a place to bring that up.  Today was not that time.

He was great.

Do Rovers really not trust the 2nd choice keeper or something? Watched the highlights there and Dabrowski looks fucked after every dive.

I know he's a big character and that but it seems a bit mental for Murray to play him. 

6 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Do Rovers really not trust the 2nd choice keeper or something? Watched the highlights there and Dabrowski looks fucked after every dive.

I know he's a big character and that but it seems a bit mental for Murray to play him. 

Every single Rovers fan I spoke to was gobsmacked at the decision to play Dabrowski yesterday. I'm assuming Robbie Thomson is carrying some sort of injury as a fit Thomson has to be better than an unfit Dabrowski. Feel a bit sorry for the young 3rd choice goalkeeper, but to be fair, seeing the name Andy McNeill on a Rovers team sheet at East End would have sent a shiver down the spine of every Rovers fan.

8 hours ago, pantene proV said:

There's a time and a place to bring that up.  Today was not that time.

He was great.

I’d honestly not be too worried on my view. All I’ve said is that I don’t know what IM sees in him. I stand by that taking the whole season into account. Clearly he done well yesterday so credit to him. 

O’Reilly not signed a new deal yet!?

Said as much on Twitter last night but the club would be daft not to have offered him terms by now. No guarantee they’ll be agreeable to him, or that there aren’t a host of other clubs speaking to him too, but he’d be a solid addition on a longer deal.

Based on how he’s played since coming in, not to mention the goal threat he brings from set pieces, he’d be keeping a fit Keith Watson out of the team as it stands IMO.

Agreed. I thought IM sounded very non- committal when asked, which surprised me. I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to keep Dan. Even if/when Watson returns, after such a layoff he will be some considerable way off match fitness and will remain an injury risk for some time (imo). And here's a guy who loves playing for us, is doing well and would assist greatly in a part of the squad where we're exposed.

Get him signed.

As we found out during the summer that Potter & Co have always got something up their sleeve when it comes to signing players. Murray did mention in a previous interview that O'Reilly was one of those they looked at if they didn't get Eaun Murray. It would be a bit crazy not signing him unless there's someone else with a better pedigree that we're in talks with. I'd keep him as a backup left back.

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Agree with that. Sounds like he wants to stay but Murray is a bit more non-committal. 
Id be getting him signed up on an 18month deal. 

Agreed. Him n Murray together look solid and with Corr and the options of Brown and Dick in there would give us sufficient defensive cover.Been no mention of Watson for weeks which is a worry.

If the Stevenson is still on the cards as well-that probably isn’t an option until the end of the month. Noticed he came on for Hibs yesterday as well.

There's also a lot to be said for keeping some consistency in our defence as we head into the second half of the season.

If O'Reilly moves on, then we are looking at either: stepping up Dylan Corr (who is young and has started I think one league game this season); waiting on Watson coming back and praying he stays fit; moving Scott Brown back into CB (when we really need him further up the park, espeically while Stanton is out); or taking a gamble on bringing someone else in. All of these carry risks that I'd rather not be taking. Our defence is porous at the best of times, and I do appreciate that that's part of the trade-off for the number of goals we score, but the sum of a settled back line can often be greater than its parts.

For that reason if nothing else, I really hope we offer O'Reilly something until at least the summer.

Even with Watson back, we could still do with bringing another defender in, particularly one that is either a full back or can cover there. If we were in a situation with both Dick and Millen unavailable, we would be in a bit of bother at the back to be quite frank. This is without considering that one of Watson's recovery weeks appears to equal at least three normal human weeks. I also have some - possibly unfounded - concerns that Euan Murray has been playing through an injury. Seem to recall he was touch and go a few weeks ago with a shoulder issue that had been troubling him, but he's played ever since. 

Back to O'Reilly - if he goes, is there a feasible replacement in defence? I am not sure there is and think we would be dependent on a loanee from Hearts or similar. You take your gamble there as you are probably bringing in someone with very limited game time and these players often aren't the ones you should be throwing into a title challenge. In addition to doing well for us, O'Reilly is an experienced player and better poised to cope with the situation. Maybe I'm being harsh here, but I remember Cooney from Dundee United on loan - was basically a last resort and was predictably rubbish when we were forced to play him. We don't want that and should stick with O'Reilly if he's happy to stay. 

Edited by Michael W