The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

This would be the least amount of width any team has ever played with in the history of association football. 

And all of our width has availed us how so far? However, I disagree on a lack of width there, your opinion may vary (wrongly, but you’re entitled).

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Are you not on the telly and can tell the manager to play that way though... 

I’m just like all the other silly sods on here, pissing into the wind, a lot like the Rovers Friday.

6 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Four points off the top of the league at the start of February, having surpassed our previous seasons points total before Christmas and there are people calling for the manager to be sacked!? 

Give yourselves a fucking shake. 

We are also on our worst run of results for 15 years and on course to blow the play offs from what should've been an unassailable position. 

The stark change from the team displays of willingness and fight in and leading up to the win in Dundee in mid December, to the displays of the last few games (no bodies being thrown at the ball etc) makes you wonder if there's something happened that's upset the dressingroom. 

I missed the Airdrie game and had to settle for BBC's showing, I've since heard that after Murray brought on our 4th sub (Byrne for Easton) with 15 mins still to go, Matthews got up out the dugout and marched to the dressing room, did this really happen the way it sounds?

The whole vibe doesn't exactly seem to scream harmony.

Edited by Scottydog

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We are also on our worst run of results for 15 years and on course to blow the play offs from what should've been an unassailable position. 

There’s no denying the current run is horrendous. 
Murray needs to find a way to stop the rot and everything he’s tried so far has failed spectacularly. 
But on the flip side, when you’ve had the worst run of results in 15years and you’re still only four points off top then it’s clear that we had a phenomenal first half of the season so it needs to be balanced with the poor run we are on. 
If we’d had a more steady run to get the same number of points we have now rather than consistently good results for half a season then consistently terrible for 5 games then we’d all be delighted at the position we’re in. 

A bit of perspective required- the good work for 19 league games shouldn’t be forgotten because it’s followed by 3 league defeats in a row. 

11 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

The stark change from the team displays of willingness and fight in and leading up to the win in Dundee in mid December, to the displays of the last few games (no bodies being thrown at the ball etc) makes you wonder if there's something happened that's upset the dressingroom. 

I missed the Airdrie game and had to settle for BBC's showing, I've since heard that after Murray brought on our 4th sub (Byrne for Easton) with 15 mins still to go, Matthews got up out the dugout and marched to the dressing room, did this really happen the way it sounds?

I don't recall seeing anyone marching back to the changing rooms, but by the time Byrne came on, I think i'd just sort of glazed over after watching that display for 75 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I raise you a Gary Locke 14 without a win in 2016/17 before getting the Paul Jack.

30 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

A bit of perspective required- the good work for 19 league games shouldn’t be forgotten because it’s followed by 3 league defeats in a row. 

No, we need complete overreaction, it's the only way.

It's either we're incredible, Byrne is a gem of a player, we're going to win the league and Murray should be knighted.

or

We're utter garbage, Byrne is too slow, we're never going to win again and Murray should be sacked.

There is no in-between, in-between is boring.

Realistically, the only way Murray would be under pressure would be if we somehow failed to make the play-offs, as I'd imagine the target set at the start of the season was to get into the play-offs.  Even then I don't think he'd been sacked, but he'd be under a lot of pressure to get off to a great start next season.

I don't think the United game is actually a bad thing for us. If you need a game to motivate the players and return the focus - this is it. This game is a 6 pointer for us more than it is for united. In terms of our form we need discipline and to keep width and formation. I believe that if we can do this the tide can turn and hopefully the confidence will skyrocket again.

As others have stated, the target was top four. Winning the league would be lovely, but looking at the finances it seems as if the player budget at United is 3 or 4 times that of ours... so I don't think any sane person would have been putting money on us winning the league at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

I raise you a Gary Locke 14 without a win in 2016/17 before getting the Paul Jack.

What about Grant Murray that season we won the cup? That was a horrendous period.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What about Grant Murray that season we won the cup? That was a horrendous period.

Oh aye, regular gubbings at home from about Jan/Feb til the end of the season it seemed like. No idea on game numbers/winless run on that one.

Clearly there were aggravating circumstances at play which we all know about and don't need to discuss, but the run in the 2021-22 season under McGlynn from when we lost in the fog at Firhill in December up to when we won at Firhill in April was really horrible. We did win the Challenge Cup, but also managed to win 1 league game in 16.

Edited by Kuma Power

5 hours ago, Scottydog said:

There was a player that left the dugout, down the sideline and entered the tunnel during the free kick from Big Kev after the Easton sub. It wasn’t  clear who it was, but the hair would also match Easton…however I’m not sure he’d have got his pants on that quickly to be up the touch line like that.

7 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Marched to the dressing for a pee I think.

5F3369C4-3704-4B2D-A55C-73FABC2797EB.thumb.jpeg.9350712c2eb18725ccd6490ca8da27a0.jpeg

6D38B928-C7A2-4A47-A05D-FE1126DB5FD9.thumb.jpeg.6871f4f8a72142e50fe03d57d9743e0a.jpeg

What is it about the simplest explanations usually being the correct ones…

Edited by Enigma

Listening to the podcast finally got me off the mark to really look at the Airdrie goal. I think Easton is being given too much credit, he never even glanced at Todorov as he ghosted past him. My concerns are:

Watson...he's in front of the near post and watching the scrum, but never even checks behind him or to his left. This is criminal because he's looking at Dick, who would normally be covering anyone heading for the back post, wide to his right. 

Murray...planted two yards directly upfield of Watson, not a glance to the back post area once the scramble starts, but he looked that way as he came out after his wide right challenge.

Dick...had to move to the right side as he was the last covering defender. Watson was behind him, so I'm not blaming Dick for that, but after Millen comes chugging back in and basically bangs into Dick, Dick is walking out toward the ball rather than moving back to his left. 

Millen...I have no idea what he's thinking. At first he's jogging back, until the Murray slide challenge, then he finally sprints back and basically becomes Dick's Siamese twin, and eventually after walking hand in hand with him fights Dick for a header. Unsure why he left an Airdrie player completely open wide outside, in his area, to do all this.

Easton...he makes a run to get to roughly the penalty spot, but he can see Dick is now out beyond the near post, that Watson is on the near post and he then fails to cover the back post, or even the back half of the penalty area. He then compounds the error by charging at the Airdrie player who already has Brown and Murray heading our for him (although Murray was leisurely doing so). In doing so, he removed the only player within seven or eight yards of Todorov...and had he even held position, the ball never makes it to Todorov.

Brown...came in with and marked a player, then correctly charged the player getting the ball in the edge of the box.

Turner...passenger. Came back too far for no good reason, and left a player unmarked at the edge of the box. Was perhaps tryign to cover the player Millen left unmarked out wide when he elected to go hold Dick's hand.

Clearly:

-Millen should have gone to the wide area and the unmarked player rather than heading toward Dick.

-Watson should have taken the back post because Dick had been forced over to the near post area.

-Murray should have moved to the front of the near post when Watson did that, but since Watson stayed there, Murray felt his duty was what? Wander a couple of yards in front of him?

-Dick should have moved back left, but it wouldn't have been in time...he's probably the most blameless of a very guilty back four.

-Easton should have been looking for attackers around the far post, but instead hung out at the penalty area and then made a poor decision to challenge a player that resulted in no Rovers players on the far side of the penalty spot.

The Big Kev Question:

For the more experienced keeper types, where's Kev's responsibility here. I understand he's watching the ball, however at 5:40 on the RaithTV clock, Kev points to the middle, I was assuming at the second Airdrie attacker...however, then at 5:43 on the RaithTV clock, Kev again points to the middle while Todorov comes into view exactly where Kev is pointing, with his hands up, obviously yelling for the ball already. If Kev saw him coming in and yells to the defence, at what point should he notice no one paid attention...if he even should notice that, because he's obviously watching the ball pinballing around?

I blame myself for our dip in form, after the win at Tannadice I opted to buy the half season ticket as we were on the crest of the wave......

Since I bought it we have been utter dogshite, sorry guys, it's all my doing 

7 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

I blame myself for our dip in form, after the win at Tannadice I opted to buy the half season ticket as we were on the crest of the wave......

Since I bought it we have been utter dogshite, sorry guys, it's all my doing 

I owe you a pint 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Listening to the podcast finally got me off the mark to really look at the Airdrie goal. I think Easton is being given too much credit, he never even glanced at Todorov as he ghosted past him. My concerns are:

Watson...he's in front of the near post and watching the scrum, but never even checks behind him or to his left. This is criminal because he's looking at Dick, who would normally be covering anyone heading for the back post, wide to his right. 

Murray...planted two yards directly upfield of Watson, not a glance to the back post area once the scramble starts, but he looked that way as he came out after his wide right challenge.

Dick...had to move to the right side as he was the last covering defender. Watson was behind him, so I'm not blaming Dick for that, but after Millen comes chugging back in and basically bangs into Dick, Dick is walking out toward the ball rather than moving back to his left. 

Millen...I have no idea what he's thinking. At first he's jogging back, until the Murray slide challenge, then he finally sprints back and basically becomes Dick's Siamese twin, and eventually after walking hand in hand with him fights Dick for a header. Unsure why he left an Airdrie player completely open wide outside, in his area, to do all this.

Easton...he makes a run to get to roughly the penalty spot, but he can see Dick is now out beyond the near post, that Watson is on the near post and he then fails to cover the back post, or even the back half of the penalty area. He then compounds the error by charging at the Airdrie player who already has Brown and Murray heading our for him (although Murray was leisurely doing so). In doing so, he removed the only player within seven or eight yards of Todorov...and had he even held position, the ball never makes it to Todorov.

Brown...came in with and marked a player, then correctly charged the player getting the ball in the edge of the box.

Turner...passenger. Came back too far for no good reason, and left a player unmarked at the edge of the box. Was perhaps tryign to cover the player Millen left unmarked out wide when he elected to go hold Dick's hand.

Clearly:

-Millen should have gone to the wide area and the unmarked player rather than heading toward Dick.

-Watson should have taken the back post because Dick had been forced over to the near post area.

-Murray should have moved to the front of the near post when Watson did that, but since Watson stayed there, Murray felt his duty was what? Wander a couple of yards in front of him?

-Dick should have moved back left, but it wouldn't have been in time...he's probably the most blameless of a very guilty back four.

-Easton should have been looking for attackers around the far post, but instead hung out at the penalty area and then made a poor decision to challenge a player that resulted in no Rovers players on the far side of the penalty spot.

The Big Kev Question:

For the more experienced keeper types, where's Kev's responsibility here. I understand he's watching the ball, however at 5:40 on the RaithTV clock, Kev points to the middle, I was assuming at the second Airdrie attacker...however, then at 5:43 on the RaithTV clock, Kev again points to the middle while Todorov comes into view exactly where Kev is pointing, with his hands up, obviously yelling for the ball already. If Kev saw him coming in and yells to the defence, at what point should he notice no one paid attention...if he even should notice that, because he's obviously watching the ball pinballing around?

The thing for me, with regards to Easton and Turner, is that there's diminished responsibility on the grounds of that's-not-their-jobs. And ultimately that's an Ian Murray decision and he has to factor that in. He either thinks Easton and/or Turner are good enough to contribute defensively when required, or he's happy to take the risk that they aren't. I suspect it's the latter (as we saw with his willingness to use Connolly and Smith as wing backs recently). 

You could certainly argue that Easton shouldn't be leaving Todorov in that much space, but he's seen a free man on the edge of the box and he's run in to (successfully) get a block on a shot. I don't think it's particularly fair to ask much more of your mercurial winger. 

I'm not sure there's much of a case for the prosecution with regards to Kev Dabrowski either. First and foremost the ball is pinging around his box and he's got to be fully focused on the possibility that it comes flying at him at any second, but also the whole thing happens over a few seconds. I'm not sure there's time for him to properly and fully communicate "Keith, there's a man over here and I need you to come and cover him" with time for it to actually happen. 

Direct blame I would proportion more or less equally to each of the back four. They're all experienced defenders and it different points they all make the kind of decisions you'd expect from teenagers. Indirectly, you also have to point the finger at Ian Murray for the way he's set up and the lack of protection he's offered his defence. 

The only brightside I can offer is that a lot of these goals we've lost recently have been a result of poor organisation and poor communication, which are symptoms of an ever changing defence. Hopefully, with Watson back fit, we'll get a run of games with a consistent defensive set up, and these weaknesses start to drastically recede. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The Big Kev Question:

Kev can’t look to his left and shout where Todorov is because he’s a gk and has to be 100% focused on the ball especially that close out other wise players will take advantage and just hit it, but nah kevs the last person to blame at the goal