The New Raith Rovers Thread

Blimey, there's been some right pish written on the thread while I've been away.

Chill out folks, we'll be fine. We've got more goals in us than last season. Forget Kevin Smith, if he's out of our wage bracket then that's the end of it. And Jamie Mole, incidentally, looked very sharp when he came on yesterday.

Blimey, there's been some right pish written on the thread while I've been away.

Chill out folks, we'll be fine. We've got more goals in us than last season. Forget Kevin Smith, if he's out of our wage bracket then that's the end of it. And Jamie Mole, incidentally, looked very sharp when he came on yesterday.

I was impressed with Mole when he came on yesterday. Went close with a lovely wee step-over and left foot shot, fired in the brilliant driven cross that Walker headered just wide and scored that nice wee glancing header.

Very satisfying subs appearance from Mole yesterday.

Apologies on a postcard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You cant blame anyone for being pessimistic after the horrorshow last week.

The team were great yesterday, but really, who saw that coming after last week? I certainly dont recall you or other posters predicting such a performance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You cant blame anyone for being pessimistic after the horrorshow last week.

The team were great yesterday, but really, who saw that coming after last week? I certainly dont recall you or other posters predicting such a performance.

I predicted 7-0!

Thought I wasn't going to be far off after the first half hour.

That must have been really gutting for the EF supporters. Confidently making the trip to Starks and seeing a player they were booing quickly bang us 2-0 up.

Offfttt! Sare ane!

It's all good and well saying things like "we'll be fine", but I've always stood by basing my thoughts and feelings on what I've seen. Last week, I witnessed one of the worst performances I've ever seen us put in - we never even got a shot on target! You can't point to the superiority of Cowdenbeath for their victory either. They were better than us on the day, but I certainly wasn't that impressed with them at all. No wonder I wasn't confident about this game!

As for the other age old line "have faith" - naw. Faith is an utterly baseless concept, whereas thoughts/opinions based on recent performances are tangible. The thoughts are certainly debatable and open to scrutiny, but at least they can be backed up with some substance. If other wish to believe we'll be fine on baseless grounds, that's fine by me. However, that's not the way I look at it.

We played well yesterday, but you'll see the same age old concerns opening themselves up again as the season goes on. As I said in another thread, Stephen Simmons was the key to that win yesterday; he was absolutely superb. However, he's not going to play to that level every week (If he did, there would be no danger he'd be at the Rovers). When he's not on top form like he was yesterday, we're likely to struggle in the middle of the pitch going forward.

You based it on what you saw - in one game. Look through the early part of the thread somewhere and you'll find similar doom and gloom after last year's opening defeat at Stirling. And faith isn't always baseless, I have faith in McGlynn and in most of this squad of players because they've given me enough cause to do so.

We'll be fine.

I know this should be in the cup forum, but i've just watched the highlights 4 times in succession. And what i saw was fucking beautiful, John Baird is on fire. Tade was amazing, f**k it, the whole team were amazing. Lets take this form into saturday and we'll be fine. biggrin.gif

You based it on what you saw - in one game. Look through the early part of the thread somewhere and you'll find similar doom and gloom after last year's opening defeat at Stirling. And faith isn't always baseless, I have faith in McGlynn and in most of this squad of players because they've given me enough cause to do so.

We'll be fine.

It was all I had to go on! I'm not really sure what else you'd have liked me to base my pre-match thoughts on, really. We were dismal against Cowden and were also completely cained, albeit in a friendly, mid-week. Whilst you might prefer to look on the positive lines and ignore the performances, focusing more on faith, I don't. Bear in mind East Fife had been scoring goals for fun, and its perfectly clear why I wasn't exactly confident about the game.

As it was, we were hugely improved on Saturday, and that was great.

Our definitions of what constitutes fine for us this season will differ, but I'm confident we won't get relegated, therefore I'd agree we will be fine. However, I find that line and others like it very unhelpful after an awful performance. I much prefer a good debate about why we weren't good enough and what could do with being changed.

Edited by Michael W

Oh absolutely, we're probably not actually disagreeing much. But there's a tendency among footie fans (self-included) to overreact to both good and bad performances. The debate about what went wrong and what could be done better would be much more helpfully conducted without being surrounded by the usual bunch of miserable gits proclaiming that we're all doomed.

Just watched the post-match interviews from yesterday anyway - amused to see Tadé call Baird "a bit of a moaner", particularly as it then transpired that JB was standing just off-camera. Also pleased and interested to note that JB mentioned the security of a two-year contract as being part of the attraction of coming to Raith. Credit once again to the board for that.

Yoss

I was surprised by Tade 's comments about Baird . Hope it's all in fun because jealous teammates don't help the team !

I'm not surprised, Tade is a joker after all and you can see that within the team. They both said they liked playing with each other, and Baird even described what was good about Tade's game. I can see them really giving centre backs a rough time this season! Mole can be a good option from the bench. Or even better, have them all playing, and have Walker, Davidson and Simmons/Ferry in the centre! Now there's an idea! :P

I'm sure it was in fun - but many a true word is said in jest, I noticed Baird having a frank exchange of views with both Simmons and McBride during the second half. I don't mind seeing that (within limits).

I'm sure it was in fun - but many a true word is said in jest, I noticed Baird having a frank exchange of views with both Simmons and McBride during the second half. I don't mind seeing that (within limits).

Yeah definately. However it's good that we have someone like that, that is forever wanting the ball, laying it off, then moving again. baird was like this all game, and we get it into his feet, we can spread the ball and allow players to get ahead of him. It was funny when he was shouting at McBride. From his point of view he was wanting the pass through, but for McBride it was a chance for him to have a run at the full-back. I seem to remember him shouting at Baird back, presumably because he ended up getting fouled. All this when we were 4-1 up! :lol:

Sometime's you need to have a rolicking at your team mates. I often have a good rant when I'm playing at Dalgety Bay in our 7s league!! :lol:

I never noticed the exchange of views with Simmons, but certainly his issue with McBride was more than just. McBride just pick the ball up, kept his head down and just ran down the wing and then lost possession, while Baird was ahead of him to his right in acres of space. Baird's rant was more than justified.

I've only seen Baird a few times, but in each game he's pretty much always asking for the ball and if he doesn't receive it, he doesn't always bollock the other person for not passing to him, I just get the feeling he doesn't like to see an opportunity missed.

"[I've only seen Baird a few times, but in each game he's pretty much always asking for the ball and if he doesn't receive it, he doesn't always bollock the other person for not passing to him, I just get the feeling he doesn't like to see an opportunity missed."

He did mention in his interview he was a bit selfish in wanting the ball and that Tade was not . Goal scorers always what the ball !!

Edited by CanuckSFAfan