The New Raith Rovers Thread

Gie's peace, for f**k sake.

Aye, it's not great, but it's hardly fucking Chernobyl. Worst since Anelka? Don't talk pish. We lost 2-0 to Queen of the South, not 8-0 to Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. Their keeper pulled off a brilliant save, and Baird hit the post before half time, it could've easily been different.

John McGlynn worked wonders last season, with the inevitable budget cuts things are returning to a more natural place. It's not going to be pretty this season, it was never going to be.

I agree with you about the negativity from the board, that's helping nobody.

Gie's peace, for f**k sake.

Aye, it's not great, but it's hardly fucking Chernobyl.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a perrenial complainer. But its turning out to be a joke, whats the board doing to change things.........Sweet f**k All, and will be happy to see us go down, "as first division football is unsustainable". Apparently.

John McGlynn worked wonders last season, with the inevitable budget cuts things are returning to a more natural place. It's not going to be pretty this season, it was never going to be.

I agree with you about the negativity from the board, that's helping nobody.

I am not so sure McGlynn worked wonders last season. Last season the football was still dire at times but we had a stand out in Tade. Tade made much of the long useless punts from defence into dangerous balls. We are still playing aimless long punts because the style has not changed. Blame the manager for this.

The budget cuts are a red- herring as I have said before.

We have only lost:

Campbell (who played the just over half of last season, Our record was worse with him in the team than out of it)

Wilson possibly we are missing him but Donaldson is a proving a worthy replacement

Simmon I don't think Simmons is a great loss and is no better than a journey-man

Tade is proving irreplaceable.

McGlynn could have brought in replacements for these players and saved elsewhere. He chose not to.

Keep in mind we still have Walls, Main, Wilson, Low , Calachan, Laidlaw and Malcom in our first team squad. We still have a squad of 22 players and 5 coaches. The trouble is that 4 or 5 of these players have no chance of getting a game because McGlynn won't trust them. Add to that the cameo appearances by Thomson and Reynolds and you can see the problem is that the team is stale,positions are not under threat and the fight and urgency has been lost.

If we seen some of these young players getting a chance maybe just maybe fans would have a wee bit more positivity, patience and passion for the team which would transmit to the players.

I am no supporter of the Board by any means by this seasons mess is down to the Manager AND his management team.

Campbell, Wilson and Simmons were as good as the players in the team though, and McGlynn trusted them. If we still had them, positions would be under threat. I have no idea how good the likes of Walls and Callachan are, and I doubt I'm going to get to find out any time soon. Players who aren't performing need to be dropped - maybe the sight of an 18 year old starting ahead of them will make the penny drop.

I can agree that losing Tadé has killed us, but we can't use that as an excuse forever. He's gone, and we have failed to adapt to life without him. I would also like to see the head in the sand notions of us being 'a better footballing side' consigned to the gutter - we're a point from bottom, and have won once in our last 8.

Btw, selling Baird is an absolute non-starter. Yes, we're going to lose him for free come the season's end, but we can't do without him. We've scored 17 goals in all competitions this season: Baird has got 7 of them, and has assisted 3. If we let him go in January, we will more than likely get relegated.

Edited by Michael W

How come McGlynn can consistently get Raith Rovers fired up against Partick Thistle as evidence by the well deserved defeats we have cosntantly received from them the last 3 years or so but fails to do the same thing for games against the vast majority of the other teams in this league?

WOuld he not as well for his team talk before a game tell the players to play like they do against the Jags :blink:

I would also like to see the head in the sand notions of us being 'a better footballing side' consigned to the gutter

Excellent post, especially this part. I laugh when i hear people say this, you can't honestly say this team are better than the team that nearly got us promoted in a far stronger league last season. I'd like to know what part of our game have we improved from last season.

I am not so sure McGlynn worked wonders last season. Last season the football was still dire at times but we had a stand out in Tade. Tade made much of the long useless punts from defence into dangerous balls. We are still playing aimless long punts because the style has not changed. Blame the manager for this.

The budget cuts are a red- herring as I have said before.

We have only lost:

Campbell (who played the just over half of last season, Our record was worse with him in the team than out of it)

Wilson possibly we are missing him but Donaldson is a proving a worthy replacement

Simmon I don't think Simmons is a great loss and is no better than a journey-man

Tade is proving irreplaceable.

McGlynn could have brought in replacements for these players and saved elsewhere. He chose not to.

Keep in mind we still have Walls, Main, Wilson, Low , Calachan, Laidlaw and Malcom in our first team squad. We still have a squad of 22 players and 5 coaches. The trouble is that 4 or 5 of these players have no chance of getting a game because McGlynn won't trust them. Add to that the cameo appearances by Thomson and Reynolds and you can see the problem is that the team is stale,positions are not under threat and the fight and urgency has been lost.

If we seen some of these young players getting a chance maybe just maybe fans would have a wee bit more positivity, patience and passion for the team which would transmit to the players.

I am no supporter of the Board by any means by this seasons mess is down to the Manager AND his management team.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I agree with everything about the team - we really were pish for most of last season, especially after the turn of the year when we nosedived. We got where we were with hard graft and commitment and having Tade. Now theres little graft and commitment and no Tade. And McGlynn's team selections are often inexplicable.

But the budget cuts have bitten hard too. The board is strangling the team and the fans - highest admission prices in the division and season ticket prices that trump half the SPL, while cutting the playing staff and player budget, so taht not only have we the smallest squad in the league but also the poorest paid players.

Edited by Big Berk

How come McGlynn can consistently get Raith Rovers fired up against Partick Thistle as evidence by the well deserved defeats we have cosntantly received from them the last 3 years or so but fails to do the same thing for games against the vast majority of the other teams in this league?

WOuld he not as well for his team talk before a game tell the players to play like they do against the Jags :blink:

:blink: Thats my thoughts on it too. I thinks its because McGlynn's been told not to win so much, and unfortunately Partick came out of the box of who we win against and who we get reemed by. Ooh the conspiracy.

:blink: Thats my thoughts on it too. I thinks its because McGlynn's been told not to win so much, and unfortunately Partick came out of the box of who we win against and who we get reemed by. Ooh the conspiracy.

The thought has crossed a few minds....

Its only speculation, but there were raised eyebrows among both sets of supporters after we lay down in the second half at EEP. Now we're being told we cant afford to be in the First Division, never mind the SPL. You cant blame folk. As for me I've no idea, but it wouldnt be the first time boards have put the brakes on a promotion push.

Ok clown shoes, my post was so serious. Whats you're prognosis then brainbox?

That we played well above ourselves last season and couldn't possibly keep it up for another one and were fairly lucky with injuries

That we lost crucial players to our style of play and consequently can't neither defend set pieces or keep possesion in the corners for our slow midfield to support

The realisation that being 2nd last season doesn't mean we were well ahead of the other teams and that even a small drop in performance goes a long way

The general fug around the club who are always banging on about finances bringing an air of whats the point?

The complete lack of competition for places that McGlynn has only now starting to voice his concerns with when everyone knew it's not a good avenue to go down

The crazy notion of going full-time in a league without Dunfermline in

Nothing at all to do with not trying to win games. John McGlynn may have his faults but dishonesty isn't one of them and he would have no part in it at the club.

McGlynn wanted a full time squad. He was given it, so this is something that the board cannot really be faulted for.

I had reservations about this at the time, and I stand by them.

Also - yes, McGurn is the only part-timer. I do wonder what would have happened to him if his contract had been up at the end of last season.

Edited by Michael W

We're not doing this, are we? Keep the conspiracy nonsense to Fantalk.

No mate, we're not. I'm just feeling a little perplexed as to why we do well one week, and balls it up the next. I wouldn't mind so much if we scrapped a defeat instead of giving up, i hope you know what i mean.

Also - yes, McGurn is the only part-timer. I do wonder what would have happened to him if his contract had been up at the end of last season.

I think most teams in this division would have him if i'm honest, i'm just glad he's still with us for the time being.