The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not a lot else I can say to that than, no he hadn't. Quite apart from the playing experience and all the rest.

Anyway, I wasn't intending to get dragged into this and I'm not making a case for him as a favourite or anything. He'd be a bit of a wildcard; but if he has applied he'd probably be one of the ones I'd be interested in interviewing. And so would Colin Cameron, whose record at Cowdenbeath wasn't too bad.

Yoss mate, I wasn't trying come over as a c**t. I was just trying to convey that Anelka coached at the same kind of level as Kirkwood. Of course he paid for the privilege to "manage" us. Some of your selections are bemusing. You also want Cameron, he failed at Cowdenbeath and is failing at Berwick.

Fair enough baillie.

I didn't say I "wanted" Cameron, but if he's applied then the least he deserves from the club is an interview and the chance to present his ideas and show what he's about.

He didn't fail at Cowdenbeath - he took them up in his first season, kept them up in his second, and left fairly sharply when they were going through a bit of a rough spell in his third. (Cowden are always going to have rough spells in this league and it wasn't a write-off by any means.) He's not setting the heather on fire at Berwick, certainly, but then that division is such a scrap - maybe three wins makes the difference between a good season (play-offs) and a bad one (second-bottom).

There's a huge amount of luck involved in football management, certainly in the short-term, and there are plenty managers who've had success at one club and bombed elsewhere, or who haven't had things go for them yet but are perfectly capable of doing so.

So track records aren't the be-all-and-end-all, I'm more interested in us getting the right guy.

(Also, I hope Grant Murray gets another chance, somewhere.)

Finding an experienced yet untainted manager for this level is like the mythical 20 goals a season striker or that box to box midfielder who can tackle, pass and shoot. The few that are out there aren't interested in coming to team like us so we need to choose someone untried, or who has had a recent failure and is looking to reestablish themselves. Any chance danny Lennon will be a free agent come 8pm tonight?

Pressley would be an interesting choice. Personally, I'm not keen on his pseudo-psychology chat or the way he conducts himself in the press. By and large, football managers are ego-centric and it's nobody's professional dream to work at this level, it's all about finding a stepping stone to a higher level, but Pressley seems particularly bad at hiding that.

I read somewhere that Derek Adams and Terry Butcher were pretending to hate each other for a while when they were managing the Highland clubs, to try and build up some interest in the fixtures. Call it what you like (artificial, dishonest, almost certainly untrue to some degree...) but I like the idea of having a manager who spares a thought for the supporters when he's doing his job day-to-day.

Finding an experienced yet untainted manager for this level is like the mythical 20 goals a season striker or that box to box midfielder who can tackle, pass and shoot. The few that are out there aren't interested in coming to team like us so we need to choose someone untried, or who has had a recent failure and is looking to reestablish themselves. Any chance danny Lennon will be a free agent come 8pm tonight?

Well said, and I agree. I don't think Lennon is out of the picture but in view of the above I'd like someone like Stephen Thomson as player manager. Good player (imo), talks sense on Sportscene and got a bit of profile. Unproven of course, but as ribzanelli says, I think that's the pool we're fishing in. Adams just seems a bit obvious and a bit meh....

I doubt Lennon is even in the running. We're not going headhunting, we invited applications, and Lennon signed a year's contract with Alloa just a few weeks back.

I doubt Lennon is even in the running. We're not going headhunting, we invited applications, and Lennon signed a year's contract with Alloa just a few weeks back.

May have a clause in it allowing him to leave for a full time job.

Can't see Lennon leaving Alloa now.

I don't know. No disrespect to Alloa but they will be favourites to go down next season. I doubt a relegation or a sacking when facing relegation will look to good on his CV. At Raith he'll have a bigger budget, an almost completely full time squad and a crack at the other end if the table.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/naysmith-and-cleland-in-running-for-raith-rovers-job.126308019

Interesting. I had forgotten about Naismith. Both him and Cleland interviewed last week. We should find out today who our new manager is!

Cleland sounds a decent possibility. He will also have a long standing connection with Malpas from his Dundee United days.

Gary Naysmith I'll pass on. He has hardly done anything special at East Fife.

I can understand Naysmith wanting to move to a club in a higher league with a bigger budget but he has done heehaw with us, and now alienated himself with more of the support.

1 relegation and a 4th place finish is hardly going to endure yourself to a new club. He talks a good game, his interviews are always frank and honest but the performances on the park tell a different story.

I'd be surprised if Naysmith lands the job to be honest. He could do a decent job at Raith as a player. Still got it in that department. Perhaps he'll get offered a player/defensive coach deal and Clelland will get the manager gig.