The New Raith Rovers Thread

I personally don't see the point in giving Laidlaw a new deal. He doesn't look like he's going to cut it at this level and all we'd end up doing is punting him out on loan again.

Law as 3rd choice is sensible and how likely is it that both McGurn and Cuthbert would be injured for him to play anyway? I know it happened at the start of last season but it's extremely unlikely.

I like the look of the squad. It should always be that our youth players supplement the senior squad and that simply hasn't happened over the past decade. There's not point in investing in youth and having these different age groups when all that happens is they never get near the first team, get no experience and end up released at 20.

I'm quietly confident about this season and looking forward to how we will set up. I actually think tomorrow won't be the last signing. He talked about having a few guys on trial and then he mentions the loan. We definitely need another player who can play on the wings as although both Stewart and Vaughan have played there they definitely don't look comfortable.

Do we have a current youth player who could cover the wing positions?

I personally don't see the point in giving Laidlaw a new deal. He doesn't look like he's going to cut it at this level and all we'd end up doing is punting him out on loan again.

Law as 3rd choice is sensible and how likely is it that both McGurn and Cuthbert would be injured for him to play anyway? I know it happened at the start of last season but it's extremely unlikely.

I like the look of the squad. It should always be that our youth players supplement the senior squad and that simply hasn't happened over the past decade. There's not point in investing in youth and having these different age groups when all that happens is they never get near the first team, get no experience and end up released at 20.

I'm quietly confident about this season and looking forward to how we will set up. I actually think tomorrow won't be the last signing. He talked about having a few guys on trial and then he mentions the loan. We definitely need another player who can play on the wings as although both Stewart and Vaughan have played there they definitely don't look comfortable.

Do we have a current youth player who could cover the wing positions?

I suppose it depends on how we set up - we could easily be playing something other than a 4-4-2, where the 'wide' players aren't being asked to hug the touchline for example, but yeah it'd be nice to have some cover there - really depends on who our 'mystery' player signing tomorrow is.

I still think it'll be Hilson. We've been linked with him for a few weeks now and McKinnon has already said the new signing is a player we've been after for a while. He would certainly fit into what McKinnon's saying in the press report.

Falkirk have signed Danny Rogers on loan from Aberdeen, so they won't be taking Cuthbert off our hands.

Perplexed at the rave reviews about Rogers to be honest. Possibly down to Dumbarton relying on absolute jobbers like Grindlay and Ewings in the past, but he looked bang average to me last season.

Edited by McGuigan1978

Falkirk have signed Danny Rogers on loan from Aberdeen, so they won't be taking Cuthbert off our hands.

Perplexed at the rave reviews about Rogers to be honest. Possibly down to Dumbarton relying on absolute jobbers like Grindlay and Ewings in the past, but he looked bang average to me last season.

You're probably not far off the truth there. I wouldn't go as far as others have said in that he's an outstanding keeper but I'd say he has the potential to be an outstanding keeper. But given that we've had years of fairly poor keepers, when one comes in that makes the position his own it probably elevates the overall view. Bang average is definitely harsh on him though, he made quite a lot of important saves in games last year and we'd possibly have had the worst goals against column in Scotland if we were still playing Ewings or Grindlay. He's a good keeper with a fair bit still to learn, commanding his area being the biggest.