The New Raith Rovers Thread

This is not meant to sound bad in anyway but we need to watch we don't let our personal feelings for Laurie get in the way of the decision of whether to offer him a new contract next season. He has served us well over the years but this season his performances have been poor, along with most others in our defence. He never had a lot of pace in the first place but like Sparky did last season he's lost another yard this year. Before yesterday's events I would not have offered him another contract for next season and my fear is that due to his injury we do exactly that and don't consider it from a footballing perspective.

Once again this isn't meant to be disrespectful to him and I'm looking at it in purely footballing and performance terms.

I'd be happy to keep him but agree we could perhaps do with a new defender. Our record this year is shocking, although I suspect much of that is also down to the loss of the much maligned Simmons.

Anyone know if we have any chance of keeping Jason Thomson for next season? He has slotted perfectly in at right back.

Apparently been told his contract won't be renewed at Hearts.

I'd be happy to keep him, I think he's made a difference and he provides a good threat going forward (something we lack). He can be a bit clumsy at times and he does appear to love a booking but he's an improvement on Donaldson, who looked jaded in his last month or so in the side.

I would try and keep hold of Casa if possible too, but I don't think we're going to manage that. Dunfermline down or not, we can't afford another financial disaster like this season, so I can see the belts being tightened even if our income is likely to rise.

This is not meant to sound bad in anyway but we need to watch we don't let our personal feelings for Laurie get in the way of the decision of whether to offer him a new contract next season. He has served us well over the years but this season his performances have been poor, along with most others in our defence. He never had a lot of pace in the first place but like Sparky did last season he's lost another yard this year. Before yesterday's events I would not have offered him another contract for next season and my fear is that due to his injury we do exactly that and don't consider it from a footballing perspective.

Once again this isn't meant to be disrespectful to him and I'm looking at it in purely footballing and performance terms.

I agree RE:Ellis

We will already have a 37 year old Murray in the team and can't afford any passengers in the squad

I reckon, if we stay up, we should be looking at basically the same squad we have now, in terms of numbers (financially, in real terms, but for the terms of this discussion we'll say one in one out on players). Same expenditure, but with increased income from (hopefully) Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath games in place of County and QoS.

I'd agree on taking on Thompson, if he's willing. I think he's as good as anyone else we'll pick up, and the time and effort required to scout another right back could be better spent elsewhere.

I'd be delighted if we managed to sign Hugh Murray. I think he'll surface elsewhere, but he'd do a job for us in the middle of the park, quite possibly in place of his brother.

Laurie Ellis still has a lot to offer. I wouldn't be opposed to, in theory, bringing in or promoting a very young center half to play in the first team alongside either Laurie or Dougie Hill each week. Both Ellis and Murray are nearly coaching-badged up to their eyeballs, and I'd love to see them stay at the club for as long as possible, imparting knowledge.

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

To be fair to Laurie, he's been played out of position for a large chunk of this season and he's clearly uncomfortable there. The same can be said for Dyer & Hill - who should not even be warming the bench!

Yeah, playing at RCB hasn't been easy for Laurie. I remember him being mince there against Ayr early on in the season, but I think he adapted well to it. I'd definitely keep him.

I'm more concerned about Grant Murray, to be honest. He was outstanding for us the last couple of seasons, but age has caught up with him this time around.

Murray is like a fish out of water in central midfield. Notice when he went back to centre back against Falkirk he played a lot better.

Hopefully McGlynn plays him at the back on Saturday and gives the number 6 shirt to Davidson. I'd give Laurie another year. But I think it's time to say bye to Dougie Hill..another player who has vastly improved since coming here but he is very slow. Maybe Colin Wilson could get more game time next season?

I stand by that our best central defence pairing is Murray and Ellis but that's just my opinion. Hills great in the air don't get me wrong but he's just too slow for this level. You could argue that Murray and Ellis are getting slower too but they are at that age where fitness creeps up on them. Hill is still in his twenties. I like Dougie and he has been a good player for us..I just don't think he's a player that could take us forward. (neither will Ellis or Murray but they could be future coaches/managers of the club)

I stand by that our best central defence pairing is Murray and Ellis but that's just my opinion. Hills great in the air don't get me wrong but he's just too slow for this level. You could argue that Murray and Ellis are getting slower too but they are at that age where fitness creeps up on them. Hill is still in his twenties. I like Dougie and he has been a good player for us..I just don't think he's a player that could take us forward. (neither will Ellis or Murray but they could be future coaches/managers of the club)

Hill was one of our best players in our first season back in this division. He rivalled Tade as our best signing. Then he picked up a bad injury and since his return he's been pretty average. If he can get back to the level he was playing at he would be a great player for us again. If not, then i agree it may be time for him to move on.

I'd like to see us sign another centre half who can win everything in the air, in the mould of Campbell or big Marv, then we'd at least stop losing so many daft goals from corners and free kicks.

Edited by Scary Bear

It's really hard to judge defenders, and I wouldn't be very confident in any of my assessments. Still not entirely convinced by Hill, though I agree he's mostly done pretty well by us during his time here. But I'd be keeping Ellis, at least.

(These last few months, I'd say Davidson has been our best defender as well as our best midfielder.)

Are you sure its Starks Park you've been going to, Michael?

Yes. I'm afraid that I don't think any of our CBs have had played to their true capabilities this season, but Hill has come back in and at least given us a bit of presence at the back. The big weakness of the Ellis/Murray partnership was always playing against a big striker, and those aforementioned big strikers have caused us problems all season.

I would also argue that Dougie Hill is better suited to the 'backs to the wall' defending that McGlynn likes to utilise when defending leads.