The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sturgeon’s criticism of the signing is merited and I fully agree with it  but the 'think again about the signing' thing is unfortunately standard politician bumpf. It's happened and cannot be undone without paying Goodwillie his contract. Money that the club does not have, frankly. There is no get out, sadly. 

What her comments have done is increase the scope of flak the club have taken, which really is the club's own fault for doing this. They knew the fans and main sponsor would be outraged and did it anyway. It was always going to reach the political level and I don't think the club realised this. It has, and they can quite frankly go f**k themselves - their mess and they can deal with it. 

Anyway, we have two options RE Goodwillie

1) Do nothing (the option the club will almost certainly take)

2) Pay him off. 

That's it. No thinking twice, no miraculous loophole. These are the choices we have. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Nothing but she cannae help it if reporters ask her about it. There's be folk whinging if she remained silent

She could have started waffling in Latin and talking about Jimmy Savile, that seems to be what’s expected and accepted of politicians nowadays when asked a difficult direct question.

Edited by Tattie36

Fans could 'buy' the club in the short term (i.e. the controlling shares) and then try to shop it around to various investors. Long term fan ownership isn't viable at this level, but could be a stop gap.

In what way is it not viable? Fan ownership, like every other form of ownership, lives and dies on getting the right people involved at the right times. Having an external funder pumping money in is never going to be sustainable in the long-term for any club, so they need to be aiming to run at a profit. There's mothing that intrinsically makes a fan owned club any less likely to do that compared to one being run by a local car dealership owner.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Sturgeon’s criticism of the signing is merited and I fully agree with it  but the 'think again about the signing' thing is unfortunately standard politician bumpf. It's happened and cannot be undone without paying Goodwillie his contract. Money that the club does not have, frankly. There is no get out, sadly. 

What her comments have done is increase the scope of flak the club have taken, which really is the club's own fault for doing this. They knew the fans and main sponsor would be outraged and did it anyway. It was always going to reach the political level and I don't think the club realised this. It has, and they can quite frankly go f**k themselves - their mess and they can deal with it. 

Anyway, we have two options RE Goodwillie

1) Do nothing (the option the club will almost certainly take)

2) Pay him off. 

That's it. No thinking twice, no miraculous loophole. These are the choices we have. 

Could they place him on gardening leave so that they can pay up his contract gradually without having to pay him off as a lump sum? 

8 hours ago, placidcasual said:

I can't be fucked traipsing thru 8 pages of "Rape Rovers lol" but was there any sort of a drop in attendance, and how was the atmosphere?

Rape Rovers isn’t “lol”. It’s a two worded condemnation that pretty accurately sums up the club’s new found standing both within and outwith football. Yesterday’s statement then did nothing more that confirm what the rest of us suspected…..the RR Board and Manager are a collective of deeply unpleasant individuals.

That the BBC national news read out the entire statement, and then gave air time to a couple of individuals trying to justify the signing…….sweet Jesus. To the geezer saying “we have to trust the Board, and they will have evaluated the pros and cons”……………wow, just wow.

Chris Mclaughlin in an article on BBC news states that some people within the game have told him the fall out is unreasonable.
Scary
The logic behind this, I'd imagine, is there hasn't been as much said during his time at Clyde where he's been playing the last 5 years. It's not akin to Raith bringing him in from the blue having not kicked a ball since the court case.

30 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Would hope there is a protest planned before Saturday’s match with Hamilton?

I hope so, Tuesday was a bit short notice and those disgusted like myself mostly stayed away but I’d hope some sort of protest can be organised. My first hope is he’s emptied before then so he at least never plays for us but the board look utterly pigheaded on this. 

it’s truly astounding in the face of this epic backlash they came out with that statement yesterday. While people are walking away in numbers, many who’ve worked at the club for years or supporters who count their time in decades all to sign a piece of garbage like Goodwillie. 

but hey he can score goals so who cares is their attitude it seems. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

This just gets more and more embarrassing. Trending on twitter, national and now international news. The whole of Raith tv and countless other folk gone.
I don’t think in the 30 odd years of supporting the rovers i have ever been this annoyed and frustrated with the club and their decision making.
The fans have roundly ignored in the hope it all blows over.

7 minutes ago, timbermill tactician said:

Chris Mclaughlin in an article on BBC news states that some people within the game have told him the fall out is unreasonable.

Scary

Chris has spoke to Willie Miller then

There is absolutely no way the SPFL and/or anyone could or should stop DG from being employed by Raith Rovers or anyone else. He is entitled to earn a living wherever an employer views it acceptable. I don't envisage anyone being in a position to 'ban' him and it's really dangerous territory.

I think what we are discussing is an employers values and connection with it's commercial support network (sponsors and fans). Now clearly Raith Rovers have deemed DG as fitting within the confines of those values and good luck to them. I disagree and subsequently won't be financially supporting as will others.