The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sim is known to vent and holds the cards and cash to mean we have to put up with it. IMO he was burned financially and his ego seems to have been wounded to the degree he wants out. 

Add a seemingly fractious relationship with the board and we have another RRFC media clown show. 

The Chairman has made a situation worse by opening up to a journalist who rightly grabbed a headline.

Don't imagine he went into it thinking right my main points are;

Fire sale of players

Cause unease by mentioning redundancies 

Make half season tickets harder to sell and make sure the manager is banging my door first thing tomorrow.

Communication from the board, ex-CEO (she has gone hasn't she?) and owner is consistently appalling. The Chairman on K107 at the weekend was cringeworthy stuff his language was dated at best. However today maybe shows we are better when he keeps his mouth shut. 

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There are reports of deterioration of the structural integrity of the stands because they were knocked together quickly and never truly properly maintained. I’ve heard the figure £500,000 bandied about, but I’m sure that covers all issues, not just the steel. Comments from MacDonald about “significant deferred maintenance” and work needed to keep SP “safe and fit for purpose”, which suggest those reports aren’t simply made up. I know some posters here have suggested some pieces need replacement.

If that's the case it's only a matter of time before they're closed down on safety grounds , and at £500k it would be cheaper to dismantle them altogether

8 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

The Chairman on K107 at the weekend was cringeworthy stuff his language was dated at best. However today maybe shows we are better when he keeps his mouth shut. 

I missed this (I subscribe to the podcast version but I never quite make it to listening to a full two hours with the ads etc). Can you summarise what was said, or give a rough timestamp? 

30 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Sim is known to vent and holds the cards and cash to mean we have to put up with it. IMO he was burned financially and his ego seems to have been wounded to the degree he wants out. 

Add a seemingly fractious relationship with the board and we have another RRFC media clown show. 

The Chairman has made a situation worse by opening up to a journalist who rightly grabbed a headline.

Don't imagine he went into it thinking right my main points are;

Fire sale of players

Cause unease by mentioning redundancies 

Make half season tickets harder to sell and make sure the manager is banging my door first thing tomorrow.

Communication from the board, ex-CEO (she has gone hasn't she?) and owner is consistently appalling. The Chairman on K107 at the weekend was cringeworthy stuff his language was dated at best. However today maybe shows we are better when he keeps his mouth shut. 

Yeah, staying silent is better than saying the wrong thing.

That article has served zero purpose other than unsettle things.  That is a common theme when anyone remotely related to the Raith Rovers boardroom makes any kind of public comment.

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If that's the case it's only a matter of time before they're closed down on safety grounds , and at £500k it would be cheaper to dismantle them altogether

Except the lights are mounted on them…and I shudder to think the costs of reconfiguring them to work on stand-alone pylons.

Form and confidence appears to be suffering at the moment and the rovers play a blinder yet again , The eve of the game the clubs up for sale then a few days later we have to sale players to bring players in but if we win games we will be alright , How about you stop issuing damaging statements and interviews this actually might help ! The Board of directors have landed Rovers in this position with some horrendous decisions have they not learnt ? Clearly they haven’t 

For 1/2 million, tear the monstrosities down.  Put in safe standing areas behind the goals, and sort the home end railway side concrete to put safe standing area in there too.  Why have a stadium we cannot afford the upkeep of when you are allowed safe standing areas again?  
Hate sitting at the footy anyway.

3 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

For 1/2 million, tear the monstrosities down.  Put in safe standing areas behind the goals, and sort the home end railway side concrete to put safe standing area in there too.  Why have a stadium we cannot afford the upkeep of when you are allowed safe standing areas again?  

Presumably because we can't afford to build anything new ?

39 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

I hope you're not a quantity surveyor.

1 hour ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

For half a million? Are you wanting someone to do it as a homer?

I've said for years that Starks was a huge financial noose around the clubs neck. It's a shite place to watch football and maintenance of the structures must be colossal (and only growing). The community set up seems to be doing well but Starks doesn't cater for it well at all. 

The sooner the club looks to move to a smaller, more fit for purpose stadium the better. It would be great if somewhere within the town could be found but there is plenty space on the outskirts which could be developed. I often drive past the Nairns site on Victoria Road and wonder if there was enough space for a wee stadium opposite the car wash. Wherever it was built, a decent site with facilities and car parking could be in use 7 days a week and would surely be worth an investment on it's own. 

53 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I've said for years that Starks was a huge financial noose around the clubs neck. It's a shite place to watch football and maintenance of the structures must be colossal (and only growing). The community set up seems to be doing well but Starks doesn't cater for it well at all. 

The sooner the club looks to move to a smaller, more fit for purpose stadium the better. It would be great if somewhere within the town could be found but there is plenty space on the outskirts which could be developed. I often drive past the Nairns site on Victoria Road and wonder if there was enough space for a wee stadium opposite the car wash. Wherever it was built, a decent site with facilities and car parking could be in use 7 days a week and would surely be worth an investment on it's own. 

Do what St Johnstone did and build it near the crem. There must be space nearby to cater for the 'passing' trade.

53 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Where would the club get money from to purchase land and build a new stadium? The land on which Starks park sits is pretty much worthless also a smaller stadium still needs upkeep.

Most grounds that were built by Barr have the same problems this is nothing new it's  OK for grounds like Ayr, Morton or Arbroath whose grounds are mostly decades old terracing to have cheaper upkeep.  

What really gets me is those fans who threw the toys out of the pram after the Goodwillie situation screamed they wouldn't buy season tickets or pay into the players fund are now complaining we don't have enough money 🤔 

1 minute ago, Frank conner said:

Where would the club get money from to purchase land and build a new stadium? The land on which Starks park sits is pretty much worthless also a smaller stadium still needs upkeep.

Most grounds that were built by Barr have the same problems this is nothing new it's  OK for grounds like Ayr, Morton or Arbroath whose grounds are mostly decades old terracing to have cheaper upkeep.  

What really gets me is those fans who threw the toys out of the pram after the Goodwillie situation screamed they wouldn't buy season tickets or pay into the players fund are now complaining we don't have enough money 🤔 

We sold more season tickets this season than we have for quite a while. 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Quick look suggests the narrowest point of that area is in the 300-320ft range (340 if you move further down), depending on the rail right of way. At SP, the minimum width is in the 240ft range at the Pratt Street fence in the NE corner. It would have to be a primarily two end stand configuration with some terracing on one or both sides. It’s far from ideal, but it’s does seem to allow about a 4-5k max facility…with some parking for community use of a hub/office/facilities building located behind one end…but, that’s a pipe dream without a significant inflow of cash from somewhere.