The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Good episode and some good points covered.

On the full back discussion. I can’t believe that McGill hasn’t had more game time in the recent run of games.Would offer more going forward towards the end of the game in the right back position-overlapping, good pace and getting decent crosses in.

Likewise in recent weeks towards the end of games when we are chasing it would’ve  been ideal time to give Hannah a chance coming on for dick.Pace and better going forward.

Murray obsessed with changing the front men when the game could easily be influenced by these changes.

58 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Can we maybe just give young Hannah a chance at left back before spending more?  The Young Lad looked OK to me for the brief spell he has been on the pitch.  I know he is young, but a 17 year old appeared for a premier league team at the weekend!  Trying out young Hannah in a game that mattered would not be seen as the most Gung Ho decision Murray has made.  Would it?

My reservation with Hannah is we would be throwing him into a very pressurised and possibly toxic situation. If we were paddling along woth 5 games to go nothing to play for then I would be tempted. As it is he's a very raw unexperienced player and this would do him more harm than good. 

49 minutes ago, pub car king said:

My reservation with Hannah is we would be throwing him into a very pressurised and possibly toxic situation. If we were paddling along woth 5 games to go nothing to play for then I would be tempted. As it is he's a very raw unexperienced player and this would do him more harm than good. 

No harm in trying it.Everything else that’s been tried recently hasn’t worked 

28 minutes ago, SerieA said:

No harm in trying it.Everything else that’s been tried recently hasn’t worked 

The harm would be potentially harming his development. I'm far from dicks biggest fan but at the moment dick is our best and realistically only option at lb. 

6 hours ago, basher brash said:

Where was Liam Dick ? Not the first time this season he has been caught out of position but in general someone should have picked up responsibility and marked Todorov if he was unmarked  especially since he scores everytime against us , I’m sure their was 7 rovers players to Airdries 4 at the goal 

Have you watched the video? Dick was the last defender, furthest back and had to move all the way over to the near post area to cover. Then he was the necessary challenger because Murray had slid into the challenge and was out of the play, so Dick was the only defender left to challenge an otherwise free attacker. Watson was returning at a deliberate pace and Millen was way up the right wing and, initially, walking back. By the time everyone got back, Dick was committed to a pair of challenges without assistance until Millen suddenly steamed back in and left an unmarked Airdrie player wide on his side to stand next to Dick.  Murray and Watson both end up Todorov side of an occupied Dick, with neither involved with anyone until Murray charges out for the free player on the edge of the box, at the same time as Brown and Easton.

There’s plenty of blame for the defence to go around, but Dick is probably the most blameless in this mess. I’d love a close up audio that lets us hear what Big Kev was yelling, because if he did indeed point out Todorov, Easton and Watson have questions to answer.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Feel for any of the laddies coming in while we are on this streak but Callum would be like a fish out of water. He could have gone to a LL team for example to get some well needed experience. 

hopefully a few bounce games, maybe a team bonding session cause something looks off in the camp 

Big Kev wasn't at fault in any way, had he moved to his left to cover that side you can bet your boots the shot would've come from his right, Dick and Murray never should've been anywhere near the right hand side.

Anyhoo its immaterial now what's done cant be undone, it's up to I. Murray and the players to sort themselves out and get back to doing what we know they can do, I'm sure we wont see that kind of defensive debacle again 🤞, and for some of us fans this expectation of reaching for the title needs to be tempered, the aim was always top 4 and anything else from there is a bonus 

On 04/02/2024 at 12:35, bobbykdy said:

Oh aye, regular gubbings at home from about Jan/Feb til the end of the season it seemed like. No idea on game numbers/winless run on that one.

That was the last time we had 5 defeats in a row.......
In 2014/15 within last 6 games of the season.

Grant Murray in charge.  

image.png.567e8561982e8b1400efe04a919f8ce9.png

Unsurprising the last time we were 6 or more defeats in a row........   When we were due to become Scotlands 3rd force.  Yup, the ANELKA dark ages.  When we went 7 defeats in a row!!

Season 2004/2005 
image.png.c4f307f448f6d35a9f332fe1c69979f5.png

Anyhow, it is what it is.  We now have to look forward, and back the team.  It's not our defenders faults that they are really not good enough for top of the league, but the manager seems to think so.  We all know we need to strengthen CH and FBs but what can we do.  Unless its going to be a youngster from a Prem club our hands are tied.  Not telling e its better to play another clubs youngster than Corr, who has never had a bad game that I can remember.......

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

27 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Big Kev wasn't at fault in any way, had he moved to his left to cover that side you can bet your boots the shot would've come from his right, Dick and Murray never should've been anywhere near the right hand side.

Anyhoo its immaterial now what's done cant be undone, it's up to I. Murray and the players to sort themselves out and get back to doing what we know they can do, I'm sure we wont see that kind of defensive debacle again 🤞, and for some of us fans this expectation of reaching for the title needs to be tempered, the aim was always top 4 and anything else from there is a bonus 

Murray was on the right having slid in to stop the cross…Dick was on the right as the only defender on his feet and between the goal and an Airdrie player. It’s a bit much to say they shouldn’t have been there when Watson and Millen are still huffing and puffing their way back. I do agree that Dick should have been able to start back to the far post, but it would have been too little too late, and Murray similar.

It was a clear counterattacking goal scored in part because our central defence is glacial and our fullbacks are porous.

Edited by TxRover

I'm not going to weigh on on who was at fault for the goal because it's completely pointless.  Barring injuries or a new signing, we will almost certainly start with the same back 4 (or 5 if you include Kev) against United.  That could actually be a good thing as it would be nice to have some consistency back there.  Personally, I'd go for Corr over Murray but I don't think it'll happen.

What we need is a solid midfield in front of them.  We need to play at least 2 from Byrne, Brown and Matthews and set up to make us hard to beat.  I think Matthews is arguably the most important of the 3 just because his style of play will put pressure on the United midfield rather than waiting for them to come at us.

I'd be tempted to go with a 4-5-1 and just worry about being organised and solid.  Stick to the shape and we've got the options in attack to create chances.

One bit of good news today is the arrival of the away top re-stock......

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Murray was on the right having slid in to stop the cross…Dick was on the right as the only defender on his feet and between the goal and an Airdrie player. It’s a bit much to say they shouldn’t have been there when Watson and Millen are still huffing and puffing their way back. I do agree that Dick should have been able to start back to the far post, but it would have been too little too late, and Murray similar.

It was a clear counterattacking goal scored in part because our central defence is glacial and our fullbacks 

I'm sure they had ample time to get back over to their own side, it didn't need 7 of our players in there, christ Todorov was making his dinner for long enough before he even got the ball, and I'm sure the whole of the south stand were screaming to the players where Todorov was never mind big Kev

Just as aside,  theres only one player at fault and that's the one that was designated to keep tabs on Todorov 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

4 hours ago, SerieA said:

Good episode and some good points covered.

On the full back discussion. I can’t believe that McGill hasn’t had more game time in the recent run of games.Would offer more going forward towards the end of the game in the right back position-overlapping, good pace and getting decent crosses in.

Likewise in recent weeks towards the end of games when we are chasing it would’ve  been ideal time to give Hannah a chance coming on for dick.Pace and better going forward.

Murray obsessed with changing the front men when the game could easily be influenced by these changes.

I’ll also add when they were discussing the midfield and who could do the Sam Stanton Job defend but can also get the ball up the park 30 yards or so we had one on the bench a certain No8 called Ross Matthews criminal how he didn’t get on because he was what we were missing in the middle of the park 

Is Ross Matthews the new Joel Coustrain? He suddenly becomes the answer to all woes when he’s not playing.

As much as I like Matthews, he’s not better than Brown or Byrne. He wasn’t better than Brown or Spencer last season and he wasn’t better than Tait, Spencer or Hendry in seasons gone by either.

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

If your opinion is the same as that of the manager then let the guy go out on loan. We aren't going to have 5 or so games with nothing to play for. 

10 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Is Ross Matthews the new Joel Coustrain? He suddenly becomes the answer to all woes when he’s not playing.

As much as I like Matthews, he’s not better than Brown or Byrne. He wasn’t better than Brown or Spencer last season and he wasn’t better than Tait, Spencer or Hendry in seasons gone by either.

Matthews was superb for us in our last Seaside League season and the Lockdown season. He weighed in with several crucial goals and if you look at the win percentages over that time in the games he played, as opposed to the games he missed, the difference is massive.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's ever been fully fit for the last couple of seasons, but he's certainly worth a run in the team at present.

Byrne and Brown are - how can I put this politely - not at their best currently. For all the (deserved) criticism that the defence has taken recently, the midfield is not in any better shape. Whilst Airdrie weren't exactly battering us on Friday, it was not taking much effort for them to get through a midfield that was devoid of structure. Matthews is not going to solve all of our ills in there, but we could really do with changing things up because it's not worked since mid-December. 

I don't think Matthews is necessarily a better player and indeed I don't think he'll be with the club next season, but we need to change things and dropping players that are out form is part of that. 

33 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

If your opinion is the same as that of the manager then let the guy go out on loan. We aren't going to have 5 or so games with nothing to play for. 

Murray has stated his reasons for not doing that this season and I agree with it 100%. He hasn't played at a professional level before this season so giving him the basics before having him then go out or play week in week out will serve him alot better than just chucking him in at the deep end at whatever club would take him right now. Control how he is introduced to the professional game and look after him in the process Imo. 

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Is Ross Matthews the new Joel Coustrain Sam Stanton? He suddenly becomes the answer to all woes when he’s not playing.

I think that better encapsulates what’s been happening. I’m afraid that Sam’s return will not be the panacea some believe simply because he is but one player.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

The way we're playing I wouldn't bet on that.