The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 26/03/2024 at 09:27, L. Brilliant said:

I'm hoping we go out to be solid first and let United feel the pressure of needing the win.  Let Goodwin do the overthinking and wind his own supporters up, while we have a solid, hard to beat XI of our better players. 

Fair to say the opposite happened 

Not playing a proper defensive midfielder definitely hindered us but it was our inability to cope with high balls into the box that cost us the game today, not the CM situation.

Edited by Jilted John

If Murray and Watson are out for next 3 games, that'll be us up shit creek without a paddle, as that'll mean yet another makeshift defence at a time we really dont need it, if the title is gone and 2nd place is secured, I'd be tempted to give Hamilton and Rudden game time together and bringing Vaughan on later in the game if it doesn't work

A lot of decisions will need to be made for next season though,  as were far too lightweight and to easily bullied

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

Tinkering is an issue, but the biggest issue we’ll have in the remaining games is that Murray and Watson are the only two central defenders the manager seems to trust and they have both been in the wars and may not be available. If we somehow manage to get promoted with the defensive issues we have it’ll be a minor miracle.

Edited by Scary Bear

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Tinkering is an issue, but the biggest issue we’ll have in the remaining games is that Murray and Watson are the only two central defenders the manager seems to trust and they have both been in the wars and may not be available. If we somehow manage to get promoted with the defensive issues we have it’ll be a minor miracle.

It’s a minor miracle how great this season has been with the defensive issues. However, it’s been the best season in a long time and not over yet! 

Murray will not be back for the Ayr game and potentially Airdrie either that was a bad blow to the head and just like Kev and Byrne when they had there's it takes time. 

Watson fitness this season has been a massive frustration but no surprise if he's picked up another knock. 

It leaves a few options, actually play Corr.  (which he won't) can James Brown play CB with Matthews in at RB? Or our good old 3 at the back with some combination of midfielders in there.

11 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Murray will not be back for the Ayr game and potentially Airdrie either that was a bad blow to the head and just like Kev and Byrne when they had there's it takes time. 

Watson fitness this season has been a massive frustration but no surprise if he's picked up another knock. 

It leaves a few options, actually play Corr.  (which he won't) can James Brown play CB with Matthews in at RB? Or our good old 3 at the back with some combination of midfielders in there.

That's the most likely outcome,  Mathews, Brown,  Brown and Dick, it might work and I feckin hope it does, but that in that event the Midfield needs bolstered by better than Turner

You're managing a Raith team that's doing better than expected.

You take your team thats 2nd to play the league leaders at home in a massive fixture.

You have taken 7 points from the league leaders in the first 3 meetings.

Do you (a) play a conservative familiar line up... or (b) make a wildcard personel change ?

24 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

It’s a minor miracle how great this season has been with the defensive issues. However, it’s been the best season in a long time and not over yet! 

That’s true. Hopefully Ian Murray can find a way to keep it going with the personnel available.

8 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

You're managing a Raith team that's doing better than expected.

You take your team thats 2nd to play the league leaders at home in a massive fixture.

You have taken 7 points from the league leaders in the first 3 meetings.

Do you (a) play a conservative familiar line up... or (b) make a wildcard personel change ?

Conservative game. A draw would've done with us having a game in hand

1 minute ago, MICMAC said:

We should have gone and shitfested it with a packed midfield amd let United get frustrated. 

Not our day.Not many players with pass marks for me today.

Thought Scott Brown in particular had a poor game.Looked slow and indecisive a lot. Would’ve had Murray and Brown together.

Wasn’t the game to start Turner. Maybe in beside Byrne or Matthews with Stanton playing further forward, but not as the holder.

Stanton not great today either.

Anyway 3 massive home games ahead. Let’s get behind the team to get 9 points.

16 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

I would also have gone this way but that's twice a Raith manager chose b.

Today wasn't quite as bad as McGurn not playing at East End in 2011.

20 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Not our day.Not many players with pass marks for me today.

Thought Scott Brown in particular had a poor game.Looked slow and indecisive a lot. Would’ve had Murray and Brown together.

Wasn’t the game to start Turner. Maybe in beside Byrne or Matthews with Stanton playing further forward, but not as the holder.

Stanton not great today either.

Anyway 3 massive home games ahead. Let’s get behind the team to get 9 points.

Scott Brown was who utd targeted from the off. They've been playing pretty much the same way for weeks where they've knocked it long and had the likes of moult and watt knocking it down for the bodies behind them. He had two or three men around him most of the game, much like... 

Stanton wasn't given any time on the ball at all, they where swarming all over him constantly. We lost the midfield battle largely due to utd going hunting in packs. 

We really needed someone like Matthews or brown in there to actually battle and drop deeper to stop the knock backs. 

Turner is not a player in that deeper role but he never hid and did work hard to his credit. 

I actually thought Turner did well today in a strange way wasn't his game but he gave his all. 

Frustrating that the last 3 games have been clean sheets and performances deserving of them. 

Too many points of failure today, along with an opposition team who finally figured out what they needed to do. 

I'm not knicker wetting yet this season has a few more twists I'm sure, but by Ian Murrays admission in the interview he reckons we need to win 4 or 5 from the 6 games. 

We are not in that sort of form at the minute and will need to really pull it out the bag like we did when Ayr beat us in the old seaside league with 9 matches to go. 

Edited by pub car king

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Not playing a proper defensive midfielder definitely hindered us but it was our inability to cope with high balls into the box that cost us the game today, not the CM situation.

Disagree the long high ball tactic was so effective because we had no one in front of defence winning the second balls. 

44 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

I would also have gone this way but that's twice a Raith manager chose b.

Today wasn't quite as bad as McGurn not playing at East End in 2011.

I could only get a ticket for the main stand that day and it was like watching both goals in slow motion. McNeil shouldn't have been playing and Martin Hardie shouldn't have scored 2 goals from the halfway line. 

6 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Going a goal down was bad enough today, but half a dozen folk or so throwing stuff at the United players was absolutely mortifying.

Whoever was at it was a total arsehole. 

Absolutely no excuse for that and they should have been huckled.

It did feel like a bit of a prolonged goading they were giving our fans after the goal and a few yellows wouldn't have gone a miss.

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

2 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

I could only get a ticket for the main stand that day and it was like watching both goals in slow motion. McNeil shouldn't have been playing and Martin Hardie shouldn't have scored 2 goals from the halfway line. 

It still hurts.