The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This is something that doesn't get mentioned, Connolly has been a shadow of the player he was last year. I think he's really suffered from no pre season. 

What has cost us this season over the course of the games where we dropped points is the defence. We have played something like 18 games with 1 recognised CB and despite Brown doing a great job covering that's exactly what he's been doing covering. 

We have 2 young CB where I have more of a chance starting a game than they do, a RB who had to be replaced after New Year for whatever reason, both CB have had injury spells and Liam Dick who has been alright for the most part. 

This was a real area of concern in both the summer and January windows although we did sign Ashcroft eventually. 

Regardless if we win the league or not then that has to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority on the recruitment wish list.

That's bang on the money, and if Murray / Potter dont get these positions sorted, we might find ourselves struggling next season

9 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This is something that doesn't get mentioned, Connolly has been a shadow of the player he was last year. I think he's really suffered from no pre season. 

What has cost us this season over the course of the games where we dropped points is the defence. We have played something like 18 games with 1 recognised CB and despite Brown doing a great job covering that's exactly what he's been doing covering. 

We have 2 young CB where I have more of a chance starting a game than they do, a RB who had to be replaced after New Year for whatever reason, both CB have had injury spells and Liam Dick who has been alright for the most part. 

This was a real area of concern in both the summer and January windows although we did sign Ashcroft eventually. 

Regardless if we win the league or not then that has to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority on the recruitment wish list.

With Connolly, we don't play in a way that gets the best out of him. McGlynn's last season and Murrays first season, we played to make space for him to cut in and create an opportunity or hit a shot, now we're quick counter attacking and its not his strength. I'd not be surprised if he's moved on in the summer unless we change how we play and actually look to control games and the midfield. 

5 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

With Connolly, we don't play in a way that gets the best out of him. McGlynn's last season and Murrays first season, we played to make space for him to cut in and create an opportunity or hit a shot, now we're quick counter attacking and its not his strength. I'd not be surprised if he's moved on in the summer unless we change how we play and actually look to control games and the midfield. 

Yip he’s a different player when he had Millen playing behind him. Millen getting forward on overlap which created space for Connolly.

15 hours ago, HoBNob said:

McGurn had been dropped weeks before, I'm not sure on the alternative, but having Simmons as a wide midfielder was the more surprising of the decisions 

First goal was a header from a corner tbf. 

Why did I think it was 2 free kicks. This is the game where McNeil let the ball bounce over his head and it just went wide or is my memory totally fekd 😂

Do people actually think players not having a pre season these days makes any difference? It’s not like the olden days where they would come back having put a stone of weight on. Most players at our level will be in shape all year round.

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

He signed a 2 year deal in the summer with an option of Nother year so I think he is in the plans. Just felt he's looked off the pace in games and has stopped cutting in so much which regardless of who's at RB he still has that option. 

RB for me is a key position when we go shopping. We know what we have with Liam Dick on the left do we stick with another osf those like James Brown or do we get a Tumilty type again. 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

Do people actually think players not having a pre season these days makes any difference? It’s not like the olden days where they would come back having put a stone of weight on. Most players at our level will be in shape all year round.

It's to do with the injury recovery and getting up to speed. Look at last season Vaughan compared to this year. 

Both him and Connolly came back round the same time and we didn't get the best out of them. This year Vaughan is our top scorer and has played most games. 

21 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Why did I think it was 2 free kicks. This is the game where McNeil let the ball bounce over his head and it just went wide or is my memory totally fekd 😂

Nah that happened in the first half, long ball from our left back area I'm sure that took a bounce and had McNeil floundering. 

Having a title decider played with Chris Smith and Andy McNeil in goals was some laugh, think the Rovers goal came from Smith spilling a header. Two very poor goalkeepers., 

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Nah that happened in the first half, long ball from our left back area I'm sure that took a bounce and had McNeil floundering. 

Having a title decider played with Chris Smith and Andy McNeil in goals was some laugh, think the Rovers goal came from Smith spilling a header. Two very poor goalkeepers., 

John Baird scored our goal in that game

Murray is:
 +3 vs DU this season (7 pts earned vs 4 relinquished)
+6 vs Partick (7 earned vs 1 relinquished...one game to play)
+12 vs the Pars
+6 vs Morton (7 earned vs 1 relinquished...one game to play)
-6 vs Airdrie (1 earned vs 7 relinquished...one game to play)
+6 vs Ayr  (7 earned vs 1 relinquished...one game to play)
+3 vs Queen's Park (7 earned vs 4 relinquished)
+3 vs ICT (6 earned vs 3 relinquished...one game to play)
Even vs Arbroath (4 earned vs 4 relinquished...one game to play)

Airdrie and Arbroath have been our undoing this season, especially Airdrie., not DU.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Airdrie and Arbroath have been our undoing this season, especially Airdrie., not DU.

It’s clearly not United- without the wins against them we’d be well off the pace. 
I’m not even mad about the Airdrie games, at least they’re a decent side who have worked out how to play us. 

It’s the two implosions against Arbroath that may have torpedoed our title challenge. 
If we held on and won both of those games 2-0 we’d be level on points with a game in hand right now. That’s where the damage was done. 

I’ve been having a look at what we can expect from us and United over the rest of the season. 
United have 5 games left. 
Their best run over 5 games this season is 4 wins and a draw. 

We have 6 games left. 
Our best run over 6 games this season is 5 wins and a draw. 

That suggests that unless one of us hits our best form of the season right now, there will be more points dropped by both teams. 

United definitely favourites but it’s not over yet. 

Even after yesterday I'm strangely optimistic about going up. 6 wins would mean United would have to be perfect for the remainder of the season and their best streak so far is only 3 wins. (We have a 4 and a 5 streak so far).

5 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

An interesting listen this week, nice one. 

Listening to the team line up discussion, I think the nail was hit on the head, we started the game with essentially 3 players who like to play in the attacking midfield (10) position, two wider players and a forward. Murray is clearly just trying to get as many of his best players on the pitch as possible and hope that they provide moments of magic. I hope that the penny drops soon that its not feasible in these remaining games and we start to play a bit more sensibly. 

We need to drop a forward and add another man into a structured midfield, start to control games a bit more and stop leaving so much space in central areas.

28 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

It’s the two implosions against Arbroath that may have torpedoed our title challenge. 
If we held on and won both of those games 2-0 we’d be level on points with a game in hand right now. That’s where the damage was done. 

Worse, we'd be one up on DU...change a defeat to a win and a draw to a win gives +3 and +2...

Edited by TxRover

Just now, jasperellon said:

Was the game yesterday the first match where there was more than one goal in it?

No. We beat the Pars by 2 to break that string.