The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 hours ago, pub car king said:

I wonder if interest cooled after he went through that dry spell at New Year when teams worked him out. 

Although in full fairness Murraybhas had him playing a more reserved game where he does a lot of tracking back to help Liam Dick. 

I think it is more likely he is holding off until the end of the season to see what league we are in and what we are going to pay him. I have little doubt he has other offers on the board too.

8 minutes ago, lellywong said:

POTY Ball now, black tie, surely bit elitist for an end of season shindig or maybe the Club are looking for a more up market set of attendees🙄 not for me.

A change from when it was a fiver a ticket for the Abbotshall and you got a chicken leg and a sausage roll when the DJ had his break. The only reason you didn't wear jeans to it back then was if you were going on to Jackie O's afterwards.

Edited by Specky Ginger

10 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Remember lads get a scran before you go into the ground! Don’t give these fuckers another penny!

100% agree.

Don't give these snidey c***s a single extra penny. 

Nothing against Dundee Utd fans but f**k their board.

23 hours ago, pub car king said:

Well the other one hasn't arrived yet. Can't decide wether to keep it on order or cancel it for this latest one. 

They will totally release the 92/93 top, probably waiting to see if we win the league to time it for maximum sales.

While they're at it can we have these 2 please. Late eighties with white sleeves and a 1981 nylon masterpiece 

Screenshot_20240329_101501_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_101532_Google.jpg

That Bukta strip is my favourite Rovers one. I did this design with the joma logo on the sleeve instead of the Bukta one. There'll be the usual muppets that'll say 'it's too like Dundee etc, we wear the same colours.

Picsart_24-03-30_09-42-44-105.jpg

48 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I’m surprised due to operational issues that there will even be a kiosk provided for away fans….

I’ve heard they only have on kiosk open serving macaroni pies and diet Irn Bru 

1 hour ago, lellywong said:

POTY Ball now, black tie, surely bit elitist for an end of season shindig or maybe the Club are looking for a more up market set of attendees🙄 not for me.

Agree. I know some folk think £80 is reasonable but if I was taking the wife that’s £160 for a meal, watching some guys get an award and an after dinner speaker I’m not fussed about. I’m not a guy who has black tie wear as well, so by the time you factor that in it’s not my scene at all. I’ve been before and it was a good celebration and a chance to thank players in person, but this is going for a different vibe. I used to really like them too so it’s a shame. I hope they get the night they want as it definitely isn’t aimed at the average fan.

2 hours ago, RaithRyan said:

Remember lads get a scran before you go into the ground! Don’t give these fuckers another penny!

Food at Tannadice is brutal at the best of times anyway. 

3 hours ago, lellywong said:

Elitest? Are you under the impression that black tie events mean tuxedos, bow ties and high society? Its a night out in a pair of trousers, shirt and a tie. Not much of a step up from the recommended hospitality dress code. 

Maybe they're trying something different this year just to see what works. The last couple of years have been pretty good, but the club are raising the standards everywhere this season it seems, so why not push this up a notch.

Going to be an expensive weekend, hospitality vs Arbroath and then this on the Sunday. Glad its a bank holiday Monday.

Well that was shite today in a variety of ways, that said we're still in it. We will know where we stand after the 3 home games we have coming up, 9 points and it's game on but we're still relying on others. 

Disappointing result,  thought we might've got the draw but not to be, just got to dust ourselves down and make sure we dont slip to 3rd

Keep the pressure on over the next 3 game and you never know, Utd next 2 are away to QP and Morton 🤞 

With our deficiencies in central defence, it was a bit cavalier to not start one of our actual defensive midfielders today. Now we need to try and find a way to win the next two homes games against Ayr and Airdrie.

We've had three clean sheets in a row, in which Ross Matthews has been a huge part, so why bench him today?🤷.

We've had the better of United before today because we've been strong and robust in midfield, but we were far too lightweight today. Either Matthews or Byrne had to start so we could play Stanton a wee bit further forward.

13 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

We've had three clean sheets in a row, in which Ross Matthews has been a huge part, so why bench him today?🤷.

We've had the better of United before today because we've been strong and robust in midfield, but we were far too lightweight today. Either Matthews or Byrne had to start so we could play Stanton a wee bit further forward.

Thought the plan today would've been to stifle Utd till the 2nd half, get the fans on their backs and then boom we score ........ but naw Murray had different ideas 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

5 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Murray saw his name in lights, makeshift Arab defence and he had the game won before a ball was kicked. Absolutely mental lineup and formation 

Can't fault the players for their effort though. Moult should've been off the park but ref bottled it and then got conned for the penalty.

I fear that both Murray and Watson could be out of action for the foreseeable future, Watson looked like he was struggling again.

Murray made an absolute arse of this game.  From calling United rattled in the press (crazy, I'm not saying that won the game for them, but daft to go saying that - and Utd were certainly fired up for it) to an awful team selection - and not really adjusting the glaring omission during the game.

Not playing any of Brown, Byrne or Matthews in the midfield was ridiculous.  If, for whatever reason, you persist with that, you simply have to play Hamilton up top so that there is some kind of avenue to retain possession.  We've regained some momentum by becoming hard to beat - to throw that out of the window in a game where it was most needed - mental.  As was dropping Matthews who has consistently been man of the match since his return. 

Don't get me wrong, United were far better today - however we never gave ourselves a chance with that lineup.  Biggest game, in a season that is the biggest opportunity to gain promotion for the best part of 30 years - and thats the starting line up.  Awful stuff. 

There is a long way to, however that feels like another significant game in the run in gone where we've dropped points.  

There is a lot said about our strength and depth - but I'm not convinced that our squad size is necessarily a good thing.  It could be argued that it gives the manager to much options and scope to make changes for changes sake - rather than basics like playing defenders in defence, or holding centre midfielders playing a holding role.  I kind of feel like the signing of Turner fits into this.  A good play in his own right, but a player we didn't need, in an area we didn't need - and then played in a game like this in a position where he doesn't add value.    

Edited by CALDERON