The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

I would also have gone this way but that's twice a Raith manager chose b.

Today wasn't quite as bad as McGurn not playing at East End in 2011.

McGurn had been dropped weeks before, I'm not sure on the alternative, but having Simmons as a wide midfielder was the more surprising of the decisions 

12 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

I could only get a ticket for the main stand that day and it was like watching both goals in slow motion. McNeil shouldn't have been playing and Martin Hardie shouldn't have scored 2 goals from the halfway line. 

First goal was a header from a corner tbf. 

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

McGurn had been dropped weeks before, I'm not sure on the alternative, but having Simmons as a wide midfielder was the more surprising of the decisions 

First goal was a header from a corner tbf. 

I think 99% of Raith fans expected McGurn to be back in the team and playing that day.

37 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

I think 99% of Raith fans expected McGurn to be back in the team and playing that day.

Mcglynns biggest f**k up was not playing the best 'keeper we've had in my time supporting the club in that game. 

Before the other stuff obviously. 

31 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

After Murray’s concussion today does that mean he is unavailable next week? Are there concussion guidelines?

The most recent reference I can find for an SFA concussion protocol is from 2018, referencing the Sport Scotland guidelines. Those have 6 stages for return, with a minimum of 24 hours at each stage. I'd say he's out next Saturday.

https://sportscotland.org.uk/media/o42lsjrt/concussionreport2018.pdf

Aye, absolutely no doubt we shat the bed there. Murray got the team line up all wrong, the tactics wrong and has thrown away the best shot we've had at this level in 15 years. 

11 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Very much going off memory here, but I'm sure McGurn had been dropped for a few weeks (murmurings that with him being part time, McGlynn wanted the full time keeper?) there was no doubt who was the better keeper in my eyes, but likewise I wasn't surprised when he wasn't starting that day. 

Not convinced that it’s over. United are away to Queen’s Park and Morton while we have three home games in the same period to get us both onto having played the same games.. If they even draw one then it gives us an opportunity to get back on terms. Needs us to be winning at home though. 

7 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Very much going off memory here, but I'm sure McGurn had been dropped for a few weeks (murmurings that with him being part time, McGlynn wanted the full time keeper?) there was no doubt who was the better keeper in my eyes, but likewise I wasn't surprised when he wasn't starting that day. 

Mcgurn was dropped in the January I think after having a howler against Falkirk.

It's not over, but it's now out of our hands. We could win all our remaining games and it might not be enough. All we can do is keep the pressure on and hope that Dundee United choke. What can be said is that a failure to match one of their results is almost certainly now fatal. 

Murray has to take responsibility for that. A reckless way to line up yesterday. 

14 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Not playing a proper defensive midfielder definitely hindered us but it was our inability to cope with high balls into the box that cost us the game today, not the CM situation.

He did but chose to play him at CB, again! Corr will never develop into the player we need him to be if IM won't give him game time, he may be young and make mistakes but he knows the position, I actually think he would have done well beside Murray or Watson coaching him through the game. 

Our target at the start of the season was probably to reach the play offs after a hugely disappointing league campaign last time. We have done this with matches to spare. Has to be a massive positive.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Mcgurn was dropped in the January I think after having a howler against Falkirk.

It was probably the one bad game I remember him having. He deserved to be cut some slack and given the next game .

As for yesterday, was listening on Sportsound and it seems we didn't turn up and played into United's hands. No defensive midfielder was a big mistake.

47 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

He did but chose to play him at CB, again! Corr will never develop into the player we need him to be if IM won't give him game time, he may be young and make mistakes but he knows the position, I actually think he would have done well beside Murray or Watson coaching him through the game. 

I know it was technically a friendly against Hibs but I seen nothing from Corr that would have me considering him as a starter ahead of Brown. Caught out of position a few times and gave the ball away cheaply.

I was looking for him to get a chance when we were in that poor run of form-no danger Murray will risk putting him in now.

More likely to see James Brown play CH and Matthews cover at RB.

2 minutes ago, SerieA said:

I know it was technically a friendly against Hibs but I seen nothing from Corr that would have me considering him as a starter ahead of Brown. Caught out of position a few times and gave the ball away cheaply.

I was looking for him to get a chance when we were in that poor run of form-no danger Murray will risk putting him in now.

More likely to see James Brown play CH and Matthews cover at RB.

What has happened to McGill? He never let us down when covering at right back

6 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

6 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

He’s ahead of Connolly at right mid for me at the moment 

44 minutes ago, SerieA said:

He’s ahead of Connolly at right mid for me at the moment 

This is something that doesn't get mentioned, Connolly has been a shadow of the player he was last year. I think he's really suffered from no pre season. 

What has cost us this season over the course of the games where we dropped points is the defence. We have played something like 18 games with 1 recognised CB and despite Brown doing a great job covering that's exactly what he's been doing covering. 

We have 2 young CB where I have more of a chance starting a game than they do, a RB who had to be replaced after New Year for whatever reason, both CB have had injury spells and Liam Dick who has been alright for the most part. 

This was a real area of concern in both the summer and January windows although we did sign Ashcroft eventually. 

Regardless if we win the league or not then that has to be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority on the recruitment wish list.

13 minutes ago, North West said:

Glass bottle thrown onto the pitch!

Absolute lunacy from your support. Life changing injuries right there. 

Correct.Unfortunately every team has folk who come to games who are fannies.You should know that.