The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, jasperellon said:

So we did. Thanks Tx

It's still 16 wins by 1 goal, and 5 losses by one goal, that's +11GD. Add a 2 goal win and a 2 goal loss, and it stays +11GD. 

As many have said above, the team selection & formation was definitely wrong at Tannadice, but Murray clearly thought pre match it was the right one and we are saying that with hindsight. However, more worrying are:

1. A blind man could see it wasn’t working after 15-20 minutes and he did nothing to change it, either with shape or personnel. When after an hour he eventually did make a change (other than for the first half injury) it was swap the front 2 when that was never going to work as the core problem was the team was incapable of winning any ball in midfield to get service to them. 

2. His comments afterwards that apart from a 15 minute spell it was a very even game (which in some ways is more worrying) fools nobody apart from himself and stinks of denial. Hopefully, his team selection against Ayr will prove this wrong!

I put his post match comments down to him being annoyed and disappointed at the result. I’d like to think once he went home and watched the game back, he’d realise we were miles off it.

Even the penalty that was given, although it wasn’t exactly a stonewaller, his reaction was a bit over the top.

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I put his post match comments down to him being annoyed and disappointed at the result. I’d like to think once he went home and watched the game back, he’d realise we were miles off it.

Even the penalty that was given, although it wasn’t exactly a stonewaller, his reaction was a bit over the top.

Murray is normally spot on after the match and calls it as it is. Saturdays comments had a hint of McGlynn talking shite. 

Perhaps it's the pressure of the the title race or just trying to process where it all fell apart. 

4 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I'd like to think he's realised that he messed up big time.

It's quite easy to see how Airdrie bottled the play offs with him in charge.

22 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'd like to think he's realised that he messed up big time.

It's quite easy to see how Airdrie bottled the play offs with him in charge.

Oh shut the f**k up. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Oh shut the f**k up. 

It really annoys me how people seem to think of almost any defeat as "bottling it".  My mate who supports Falkirk was slagging me for Rovers bottling the league on Saturday.  Not sure how losing away from home to easily the biggest team in the league is bottling it.  Arbroath away on the other hand........

11 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

It really annoys me how people seem to think of almost any defeat as "bottling it".  My mate who supports Falkirk was slagging me for Rovers bottling the league on Saturday.  Not sure how losing away from home to easily the biggest team in the league is bottling it.  Arbroath away on the other hand........

To be fair, given it took them five years to get out of League One and getting thumped in the play offs last season a Falkirk fan would be well versed in the art of bottling it.

But I'm all for Ro Sham Bo being negative, I think every time he's been negative this season we've went on to completely prove him wrong.

Edited by SanStarko

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

Murray blew it by trying to be smart with his team selection when he just needed to keep calm and stick with what's worked before.  There's a reason he's never won anything as a manager. 

Still at least we can console ourselves with the 2nd place prize money after the Pars have knocked us out in the play offs. That's assuming Partick don't catch us...

Ian Murray admits uncertainty over where Raith Rovers will be playing their football next season is delaying discussions with out-of-contract stars.

But the Stark’s Park boss has revealed a decision is expected to be made on the futures of a handful of players later this month.

The likes of Dylan Easton, Keith Watson, Ross Matthews, Scott McGill, Ross Millen and Ethan Ross have deals expiring at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Raith have expressed an interest in retaining the services of Shaun Byrne, who is out of contract this summer at Dundee when his Rovers loan runs out.

Saturday was obviously a dissapointment, but ultimately its that run of home games against Arbroath, Ayr, Queens Park and Inverness where we lead in all of them, and won none of them that I'd be looking back on - along with that night at Gayfield.  That and not winning any of the games where Utd dropped points at the same time.

If we don't win the league, it's not quite a bottling - but its a better opportunity than it appears on face value.  The fact its Dundee Utd and the comparative size of the clubs does mask things a wee bit.

Yeah, it's certainly not a bottling. You've got Dundee United who have a budget much larger than than the rest, are miles ahead of them, and yet we are still in with a chance. They are very much favourites, which in fairness they have always been, whilst we've exceeded expectations. 

If we don't win it, I'll be looking at both those Arbroath games in particular. You can't say it without coming across as a bit crass, but they are the worst team in the league by a fair distance, and a 2-0 lead in both fixtures yielded a single point. That is disgraceful, to he quite frank. See also the 4-4 with Ayr, which was shambolic as we had a man advantage for most of the game. It could also be argued these are a counterweight to the last minute winners we've scored; there is sometimes a tendency to forget the good stuff that might've never happened when considering the bad stuff that we wish didn't happen. 

However, whilst we are still in it, we cannot afford any slip ups and we need to take advantage of any slip up from Dundee United, which we have not managed all season. Time is running out. 

If we don't win the league, it'll be a disappointment, nothing else. We'll rebuild in the summer and go again, hopefully learning from the mistakes and missteps from this year (Arbroath, etc) and look to solidify our team with some good replacement signings, ideally without increasing the budget.

Regarding the Courier article, first off, the overuse of the word "stars" when it comes to players really needs to get in the bin. As an example. Ethan Ross is in that list. Possibly the furthest from a star we have in the squad. Secondly, if we're not happy offering deals to players now because we may go up, we really should consider letting them go even at the top end of the Championship if we want to improve. Matthews i'd keep, Easton too, but the rest are replaceable. 

2 hours ago, SerieA said:

Interest in retaining the services of Byrne - hardly kicked a ball recently 

Yeah no idea why we're looking at keeping him or why he'd want to stay given his lack of game time. 

16 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah no idea why we're looking at keeping him or why he'd want to stay given his lack of game time. 

Wondering if the lack of game time is because he’s agreed something elsewhere