The New Raith Rovers Thread

Aye, completely agree with Renton.

Very controlled, albeit Gaston only had one other save to make late in the first half when we were two to the good. 

Everything came down our left, and Dylan Easton and Lewis Stevenson seemed to dovetail each other pretty well. 

Similar to the Inverness game though, very little came down the right, and while Kieran Freeman seems quite happy to go over the half way line, his natural inclination seems to be to pass backwards, rather than advance forward or even look to get the ball into the penalty area from a deep position. 

I found it pretty frustrating, as he had a few opportunities to get behind their back line but just stopped. Early days though. 

Callum Smith really didn’t stake his claim as a potential option up front, and not much came off for him.

It probably underlined the fact that we need another option who is happy to play that focal point position up front, or Jack Hamilton to really make that position his own. 

I suspect Callum Fordyce will get a few goals from set pieces for us, and quite liked the look of Lewis Gibson when he came on. 

All in all, a decent run out with enough positives to be encouraged about. 

3 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Incredibly poor audio today for those that can't make the game. I think the onus should be on the home side to provide facilities for both sides to provide commentary of games. It shouldn't be this difficult to provide a proper connection these days.

Tuned in from 3.15 and the audio was faultless. Was walking the coastal path with the dog. Saw there were some issues at the start when I logged on. Not bad for a service that's totally free. 

My mate who was at the game said we looked capable of doubling the score. I know its kinda pre season vibes but best get out the group and test a big team at Starks. 

23 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Aye, completely agree with Renton.

Very controlled, albeit Gaston only had one other save to make late in the first half when we were two to the good. 

Everything came down our left, and Dylan Easton and Lewis Stevenson seemed to dovetail each other pretty well. 

Similar to the Inverness game though, very little came down the right, and while Kieran Freeman seems quite happy to go over the half way line, his natural inclination seems to be to pass backwards, rather than advance forward or even look to get the ball into the penalty area from a deep position. 

I found it pretty frustrating, as he had a few opportunities to get behind their back line but just stopped. Early days though. 

Callum Smith really didn’t stake his claim as a potential option up front, and not much came off for him.

It probably underlined the fact that we need another option who is happy to play that focal point position up front, or Jack Hamilton to really make that position his own. 

I suspect Callum Fordyce will get a few goals from set pieces for us, and quite liked the look of Lewis Gibson when he came on. 

All in all, a decent run out with enough positives to be encouraged about. 

One of the problems we have with one up front is players need to get up to support him from midfield.

The number of times Smith had the ball with no support was slightly alarming at times.

I'm hoping the team is just in a transition stage and still finding there form.

The midfield needs to be a lot quicker in supporting which ever loan striker is up front.

As good as a performance as you would want against a league two side. Fordyce was good and there seems to be a partnership being struck up with Easton and Stevenson down that left side. Superb strike for the 3rd goal as well. 

Professional performance.

One decent save from Kev and a few decent blocks/tackles at times from defence.

Again not 1 long kick up park from Kev with back 4 and Byrne n Brown both looking to take ball from Kev or defenders which I’m happy to see.

Fordyce and Murray solid enough.Still not sure who’ll play alongside Hanlon.

Stevenson very good 1st half linking up with Easton whether it was on the overlap or inside where we got 1st goal from.

Freeman fine linking up with Connolly but not as fluent as the other side.

Brown and Byrne being Brown and Byrne.

Stanton getting there I think.Stole a couple of balls high up the park like the old Stanton.Would love to see him getting in behind more from a central area which I think we are lacking.

Smith done ok but as someone said earlier we needed to get Stanton round about him more.

We were very patient but just think we could kick into gear a bit more and a bit quicker-but I’m no the manager or coaches.

3 good goals and not a win by 1 goal!!

4 hours ago, pub car king said:

Not going to do much for your self esteem buying stuff 2 sizes up. 

Yep, I'm normally a large, went for XL for the home top at the Inverness game as most said 1 size up, tried it on when I got home and FFS no chance I could get away it lol, had to pop down on Friday and exchange for XXL. Pretty much like Superdry stuff, 2 sizes up. Was tempted to buy the away top when I was there yesterday but think I'm going to hold out for the 3rd top, no doubt my name will be under an oxter that no-one will ever see.

As for the game today can only echo the comments made before, totally dominated the game and a 5 or 6 goal win would not have flattered us. Belter of a free kick for Aiden's hat trick, will be worth watching on YouTube later.

4 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Yep, I'm normally a large, went for XL for the home top at the Inverness game as most said 1 size up, tried it on when I got home and FFS no chance I could get away it lol, had to pop down on Friday and exchange for XXL. Pretty much like Superdry stuff, 2 sizes up. Was tempted to buy the away top when I was there yesterday but think I'm going to hold out for the 3rd top, no doubt my name will be under an oxter that no-one will ever see.

As for the game today can only echo the comments made before, totally dominated the game and a 5 or 6 goal win would not have flattered us. Belter of a free kick for Aiden's hat trick, will be worth watching on YouTube later.

From the looks of it, everyone’s name will be on there in multiple places.

4 hours ago, SerieA said:

Professional performance.

One decent save from Kev and a few decent blocks/tackles at times from defence.

Again not 1 long kick up park from Kev with back 4 and Byrne n Brown both looking to take ball from Kev or defenders which I’m happy to see.

Fordyce and Murray solid enough.Still not sure who’ll play alongside Hanlon.

Stevenson very good 1st half linking up with Easton whether it was on the overlap or inside where we got 1st goal from.

Freeman fine linking up with Connolly but not as fluent as the other side.

Brown and Byrne being Brown and Byrne.

Stanton getting there I think.Stole a couple of balls high up the park like the old Stanton.Would love to see him getting in behind more from a central area which I think we are lacking.

Smith done ok but as someone said earlier we needed to get Stanton round about him more.

We were very patient but just think we could kick into gear a bit more and a bit quicker-but I’m no the manager or coaches.

3 good goals and not a win by 1 goal!!

You guys  and Thistle feel like favourites to a  very competitive league- you have the strongest squads - but not sure your 1st eleven that much better than others.

with 5 games to go - and it was between  Murray - Doolan or. Brown who would you back? For me  Brown hands down- winner- legend - vs Murray tend to overthink and Doolon just loses from winnable positions .

So  Raith and Partick favourite - if Ayr get luck and keep 1st 11 fit- they might sneak it- fastening league 

Edited by Its not only a game

55 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

You guys  and Thistle feel like favourites to a  very competitive league- you have the strongest squads - but not sure your 1st eleven that much better than others.

with 5 games to go - and it was between  Murray - Doolan or. Brown who would you back? For me  Brown hands down- winner- legend - vs Murray tend to overthink and Doolon just loses from winnable positions .

So  Raith and Partick favourite - if Ayr get luck and keep 1st 11 fit- they might sneak it- fastening league 

Brown was a good player, however it's the players on the park that do the business and I don't think Ayr's starting 11 is anywhere near Raith or Particks. 

Doolan has signed a 3 or 4 half decent players and haven't really lost any from last season. Their attacking options are better now that they've signed Turner, Chalmers and MacKay and Ashcroft in at CB (injury prone though) they rely on Brian Graham remaining fit though.

Murray has strengthened the areas they were short of last season. Hanlon, Fordyce, Stevenson and Freeman have come in to strengthen the defence and have added a couple young lads to the midfield/forward line. Still have room for a couple more yet, probably another forward.

Raith played most of last season with a CM playing as a CB and the 2nd half of the season playing with a CM at RB and still finished 14 points and a GD of 7 ahead of Partick.

We'll find out on Tuesday how good Ayr are when they play Falkirk.

Edited by MICMAC

9 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Brown was a good player, however it's the players on the park that do the business and I don't think Ayr's starting 11 is anywhere near Raith or Particks. 

Doolan has signed a 3 or 4 half decent players and haven't really lost any from last season. Their attacking options are better now that they've signed Turner, Chalmers and MacKay and Ashcroft in at CB (injury prone though) they rely on Brian Graham remaining fit though.

Murray has strengthened the areas they were short of last season. Hanlon, Fordyce, Stevenson and Freeman have come in to strengthen the defence and have added a couple young lads to the midfield/forward line. Still have room for a couple more yet, probably another forward.

Raith played most of last season with a CM playing as a CB and the 2nd half of the season playing with a CM at RB and still finished 14 points and a GD of 7 ahead of Partick.

We'll find out on Tuesday how good Ayr are when they play Falkirk.

All good points- Think Thistle look really strong actually and they have the best forward in the league .

Enjoyable, stress-free game yesterday. Thought we started a wee bit sluggish but got hold of the game and dominated the first half. Some good intensity in the period from the first goal until about 5 minutes before HT when Stirling couldn’t get out. Would have liked to have seen the subs on earlier in the second half to maintain that intensity.

There were a couple of occasions when we looked a bit susceptible to the ball in behind. Stevenson got caught out once for pace and Fordyce struggled to catch up when he was turned in the second half. Hopefully just some rustiness as we’ll need to be able to deal with the pace of some of the Championship strikers/wingers.

Overall, solid stuff from everyone. Great to see Connolly in amongst the goals again.

Some well worked goals, going by the highlights. Stevenson looks a great addition, his bursts into the box and over/underlapping of Easton was excellent. 

Smith put himself about and while he never got on the scoresheet, he was involved in setting up the second goal. For a lone striker, a contribution (goal or assist) is a job done. We are going to have to rely on goals from all around the squad, we don't play with a striker being a focal point of all of our attacks. 

Wonderful free kick. I've been concerned by the form of Connolly, some down to his lack of pre-season but also down to our change in shape. With Freeman pushing past him more, it should give him more space to be the Connolly we saw in Murrays first year, well done to him on his hat-trick.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

Thought we played the game perfectly yesterday. Won at a canter without ever needing to get out of second gear.

Stevenson and Easton linked up brilliantly. They’re going to cause teams a lot of problems this year. 

Rough for Smith up top on his own but put in a great shift and lovely assist for the 2nd.

Connolly looked pretty sharp and did really well to get into position for his first 2 goals. The free kick was just brilliant.

Shaun Byrne was outstanding. Completely controlled the midfield.

Enjoyable afternoon and plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the season ahead (albeit with the massive caveat of the quality of the opposition).

Pre season passed me as I had other things on. Thought we were really as good as could be expected yesterday.

Trouble free game away from home with no injuries and 3 goals. Loads of positives and still Hanlon, Dick, Gibson, Vaughan, Hamilton, Mathews, any loan deals and the youngsters to make a start. 

Connolly would never have scored that free kick last season he looked miles off it. Great to have him back. 

Stevenson looks to have transformed the attacking down the left side. He's not going to overlap Easton waiting for a pass that'll never come he's going to underlap him and just take the ball. 

13 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

A lot of talk about our first eleven but the fact that Brown has managed to build a relatively deep squad isn’t talked about enough. We’ve got virtually two players for every position now and we’re no longer at the stage of praying we don’t get a couple of injuries. I think we’ve got guys on the bench who would be able to come in and perform well when needed. I think we have a couple of unknowns to opposition fans and that’s why no one really knows how well we’ll do. Dylan Watret and Marco Rus aren’t known quantities but they are going to be huge players for us this season and are big improvements on what we’ve had there before. 

If we get another midfielder and centre back in then I think we can easily compete with Raith and Partick.