The New Raith Rovers Thread

I really liked LJ for us, was a very good player (albeit in league 1). 

He's very quick and I'd say his best position is through the middle if he's playing in a front two. 

His best game for us was a 4-0 win against Montrose where he got a hat trick, he was genuinely unplayable that day and his first goal was absolute quality.

Here's a link to the highlights from that game; https://www.airdriefc.com/dtv22-23/221029

I think he'll do well for Raith if he's played through the middle and not out wide, I'd have 100% taken him at Airdrie again especially considering we need another forward ourselves.

Just now, R.R.FC said:

Seen it mentioned online by a couple of people. Could be the same people that had Scott Brown down as our manager at the start of the week right enough!

Hopefully the same people that had his manager joining us

On the topic of new manager reveal I doubt we'll do our usual build up or some weather emoji. I reckon it'll just be thrown up online as and when it's confirmed. 

Re Jamieson, know nothing about him. Hope he does well. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Whilst Jamieson's a good player I'm pretty sure he's better out wide as opposed to being an out and out striker. A bit like Smith.

Can only speak from half a season of seeing him a couple of seasons back, but I wouldn't agree. When out wide he just looked like a quick striker played out wide, didn't want to track back and didn't really know what to do apart from run down the line cut inside and shoot towards the far top corner - which I'm sure he'd manage now and then but was far too predictable.

I think he's a player that Raith don't really have - a pacey striker who can get in behind and finish. That said, I'm not sure he's got the other attributes to play up front by himself and bring others into play which seems to be more how Raith have tried to play the last year. Interesting to see how he does.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Can only speak from half a season of seeing him a couple of seasons back, but I wouldn't agree. When out wide he just looked like a quick striker played out wide, didn't want to track back and didn't really know what to do apart from run down the line cut inside and shoot towards the far top corner - which I'm sure he'd manage now and then but was far too predictable.

I think he's a player that Raith don't really have - a pacey striker who can get in behind and finish. That said, I'm not sure he's got the other attributes to play up front by himself and bring others into play which seems to be more how Raith have tried to play the last year. Interesting to see how he does.

A young pacey striker who can finish??

f**k that, who needs one of those 🙄

Do you think that maybe a lot of managers and coaches will look at us as a poison chalice? 

They must be thinking to themselves that if we don't get promoted they'll be out on their erse. Especially the way the board punted Murray.

7 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Do you think that maybe a lot of managers and coaches will look at us as a poison chalice? 

They must be thinking to themselves that if we don't get promoted they'll be out on their erse. Especially the way the board punted Murray.

I think anyone in and around scottish football will look at the job like that. The fact that 3 weeks or so have passed and there is no short list of applicants is concerning. It now looks like you will employ someone unknown as a last resort that will tick the chairman's boxes. The only names that have been mentioned are purely from fans rumours and wishes, normally some names are leaked by agents and club staff to journalists,  this has not happened yet.

22 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

That could be levelled at a few clubs, Hibs, Aberdeen etc springs to mind

Rovers fans "we need a striker" - Rovers sign a striker. 

Rovers fans "our team is really old" - Rovers bring a young player in

Rovers fans "we need pace in this team" - Rovers sign a player with pace

Rovers fans "aye, but not him" 🙄

1 hour ago, MICMAC said:

Both Hanlon and Vaughan fit for Saturday 

If Kev, Matthews, Murray and Stevenson play like they did against Thistle, with Hanlon back we should be solid at the back.

If we go with a more vertical 3 again in the middle with Byrne in front of the back 4, then assuming Brown misses out I think we get more out of Stanton in the no 8 role than the 10.

15 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

If Kev, Matthews, Murray and Stevenson play like they did against Thistle, with Hanlon back we should be solid at the back.

If we go with a more vertical 3 again in the middle with Byrne in front of the back 4, then assuming Brown misses out I think we get more out of Stanton in the no 8 role than the 10.

Brown wasn't mentioned specifically so I'm going to say he won't make it. 

There's a few more options available to us than the Partick match which was bare bones and walking wounded. 

We could play a 3 or a 4 at the back. The Partick match was a sort of hybrid midfield withByrne, Stanton and Easton centrally. We could even try the novelty of playing our right back.  

In my opinion, we need to jettison the number 10 position, play a 4-3-3 with two midfield runners and Byrne holding in the centre of them. If we play Jamieson up top then put a number 10 behind him to give him balls to run onto if we need to.