The New Raith Rovers Thread

28 minutes ago, g martin said:

If your board is happy with swapping Murray for Neill Collins, someone with no track record of promotion to the premiership, or indeed promotion to any league, or even managing in Scotland then lol. I've got some magic beans they might be interested in swapping for the south stand.

Has Martin got a hold of his dad's account again?

I'm fairly certain that there's no promotion or relegation in the professional football leagues in the US (Tx can correct me on this) so would be been impressive if he had managed to get promoted there. Also did a decent job at Barnsley and wasn't given the opportunity to take them into the playoffs. 

Time will tell but I'd be more than happy having him rather than sticking with Murray who had a lacklustre 2024.

29 minutes ago, g martin said:

If your board is happy with swapping Murray for Neill Collins, someone with no track record of promotion to the premiership, or indeed promotion to any league, or even managing in Scotland then lol. I've got some magic beans they might be interested in swapping for the south stand.

He's 41 and having spent time in the US he got a shot at English League One where his attacking football helped Barnsley get to 5th and make the playoffs but he's not as good as Ian Murray because he's never been promoted or managed in Scotland. I think you've been eating some magic beans

2 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Has Martin got a hold of his dad's account again?

I'm fairly certain that there's no promotion or relegation in the professional football leagues in the US (Tx can correct me on this) so would be been impressive if he had managed to get promoted there. Also did a decent job at Barnsley and wasn't given the opportunity to take them into the playoffs. 

Time will tell but I'd be more than happy having him rather than sticking with Murray who had a lacklustre 2024.

By that logic every manager in America can therefore claim they are promotion calibre? I don't get your point. 

27 minutes ago, g martin said:

What does the lack of a track record of managing in Scotland have to do with anything? No idea if this guy will be good or not, thats the boards call and we'll see how it goes, but having not managed in Scotland isn't a negative thing, might bring in fresh ideas. Scott Brown had no track record of managing in England when he got the Fleetwood job, McCabe had no track record anywhere when he got the Airdrie job, you take a chance sometimes and it may work out, it may not. 

11 minutes ago, g martin said:

You can ignore track records and instead hire based on hope / optimism / taking a punt if you just had a shit season and dodged relegation or something. When your baseline is play off final and you sack them then you better aim for someone with a history of improving on that.

He'll either prove to be an astute appointment or a dud, whichever one it turns out to be, will be our problem not yours 

37 minutes ago, g martin said:

Just to remind you Fergie had no track record of managing outwith Scotland before rolling up at Old Trafford. Granted his success at Aberdeen is now legendary in the club's history but it almost nearly went pear shaped until a scrappy third round FA cup tie win saw them progress to Wembley and win it. He was into his third year by then and all but getting the bullet at the end of the season. The rest is history of course. You just never know what can happen in fitba'.

4 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

What does the lack of a track record of managing in Scotland have to do with anything? No idea if this guy will be good or not, thats the boards call and we'll see how it goes, but having not managed in Scotland isn't a negative thing, might bring in fresh ideas. Scott Brown had no track record of managing in England when he got the Fleetwood job, McCabe had no track record anywhere when he got the Airdrie job, you take a chance sometimes and it may work out, it may not. 

Neither Fleetwood nor Ayr voluntarily sacked their manager after reaching play off finals. They had leeway in terms of fan expectations and constraints on realistic options with regard to canditate experience. If you want to be optimistic about a punt then that's fine (I'm not hoping they fail either) but I would have been hoping for a better CV than Murray given the circumstances here.

3 minutes ago, g martin said:

By that logic every manager in America can therefore claim they are promotion calibre? I don't get your point. 

You complained he had no track record of promotion. He never had the opportunity to be promoted - he won his league and was named manager of the season. Not every manager in the US will be able to claim that?

He might be a dud but it's better than anyone off the usual merry-go-round. There's not going to be (m)any managers with a solid track record of promotion to the Premiership in Scotland available and/or interested in any Championship gig.

9 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

It does smell a little like our Martin Rennie. Hope it is more successful 

Do you? It hope he's the Peter Grant version of Martin Rennie.

If he's the drizzling shits it might mean Dunfermline get 9th.

31 minutes ago, g martin said:

You can ignore track records and instead hire based on hope / optimism / taking a punt if you just had a shit season and dodged relegation or something. When your baseline is play off final and you sack them then you better aim for someone with a history of improving on that.

Well it’s done now so there was no going back to Murray , only time will tell🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, embow said:

Just to remind you Fergie had no track record of managing outwith Scotland before rolling up at Old Trafford. Granted his success at Aberdeen is now legendary in the club's history but it almost nearly went pear shaped until a scrappy third round FA cup tie win saw them progress to Wembley and win it. He was into his third year by then and all but getting the bullet at the end of the season. The rest is history of course. You just never know what can happen in fitba'.

That's all fair enough and obviously anything can happen this season, raith could go and win it under collins, past successes do not necessarily result in future successes etc. But looking at the records United were 19th in the league at the time they sacked Atkinson and had dropped out of the league cup. Repeating myself now so will give it up after this, but in that case I imagine they were happier taking a risk on a less proven manager in England in that case. They weren't swapping out an ongoing winner for someone that had had less success in that league.