The New Raith Rovers Thread

Surprised at Spence being offered a new deal and great to hear about McGurn. The only others I can see we are waiting for now are Hill, Watson and Anderson. Would be surprised if Robinson is included as being offered a new deal as I really don't see the point in having 3 goalkeepers.

Still early days and I'm sure that more things will be announced in early June.

Offering all our keepers a deal is very, very wasteful. If we're looking to keep Robinson then Laidlaw should be shown the door - we don't need both of them.

If Spence has been offered a deal he'll take it. He won't get another full-time offer.

If what has been said is true, I'm unimpressed. We are keeping too many players that should be moved on, and I don't know why Murray is trying to keep them. Matthew Elder is very reliable so I've no reason at all to doubt it.

There's no guarantee Spence would even get the first team football he's wanting as Murray really needs to bring in a couple of new faces to play upfront. We've only got one recognised striker officially signed. I still reckon Spence will be away.

If what has been said is true, I'm unimpressed. We are keeping too many players that should be moved on, and I don't know why Murray is trying to keep them. Matthew Elder is very reliable so I've no reason at all to doubt it.

Inclined to agree with you about keeping too many players who should be moved on. I can understand that they felt the time was right to let go of Donaldson, if there was another club eager for his signature. However, why were Mullen and Smith let go (and I'm not saying that's a right or wrong decision) and offer contracts to others who were probably of an equal (or perhaps even poorer) overall quality?

We did have a squad of decent players, for this level, last season. It didn't work for us. So something needed to change for the upcoming season. As that wasn't going to be the management it had to mean a bit of a clear out (whilst retaining a backbone). Interesting to see how things will progress over the summer...

I know these are early days but I feel some of what appears to be happening is causing concern amongst the fans......even this early!!

We know that there are holidays to be taken etc, etc,

However, for this club to go from what seemed an excellent start to the season, to finish up really struggling to stay up, was a puzzle to many.

Link to that the playing inconsistency of a number of players AND the apparent lack of awareness from the Manager.

On many occasions, not only with substitutions, post match interviews, where it seemed he'd seen a different game from everyone else.

Now many fans are questioning the release of some, who many will say should have been kept at Stark's, and the retention of some who are really not good enough!!

I feel very uneasy about what appears to be going on at the moment. Hope we do not have a repeat of last season( Cup matches apart)

In my opinion,the Spence situation is an easy one. He simply wasn't good enough last year, hence the reason he was on the bench most of the time (Murray knows he is not a championship player) yet it looks like he has offered him a new year contract. If it is true, it's just more reason to believe Murray is out of his depth, clueless and wanting to protect the 'magalauf boys club' of last year.

I worry for the Raith though, we are a reasonably big side of second tier football, decent sized support considering all factors (The fact a lot of season tickets have shifted so far shows we have a good core of fans) yet we are losing players to our direct competition next year in QOTS, Why?

We were lucky to be in this league after our run of form, we certainly wouldn't have beating dunfermline like Cowdenbeath did in a playoff.

I worry things are going to go down a morton route as clearly the players we are keeping ahold of are no good (proved that this season).

Edited by dancing_in_raith

Offering all our keepers a deal is very, very wasteful. If we're looking to keep Robinson then Laidlaw should be shown the door - we don't need both of them.

If Spence has been offered a deal he'll take it. He won't get another full-time offer.

Apart from the central midfield which now has 3 guys, we have pretty much a large rebuild on our hands anyway. I am more sanguine about Fox because I'm willing to put a lot of his late season issues down to injury. I still would like another player in that area who plays a different type of game but we'll see. I don't think anyone has to many issues with trying to re-sign Watson and Hill as alongside Barr that should make us reasonably solid in that area. as for McGurn, it's likely he'll be offered something but need to prove his fitness in which case would you risk him not being able to get back and relying on Laidlaw? If McGurn isn fit and Robinson signs on, worst case scenario is that laidlaw goes on loan and hopefully gets a full season under his belt somewhere.

With Baird, Cardle and Smith all gone we are forced into a massive rebuild of our attacking options anyway. Spence can't play up front by himself and clearly needs someone to pull defenders away from him, it was always likely we'd offer one of him and Smith a contract once Baird was a goner, and that still leaves two striker berths.

Honestly, we are all looking glum because we lost two guys we'd probably like to have kept and there is a dearth of rumours about who we might bring in. I was actually more impressed that we kept Elliot and Moon - that's a solid base to build on and Craig Barr is a decent signing. We just have to be patient at this point.

Edited by renton

In my opinion,the Spence situation is an easy one. He simply wasn't good enough last year, hence the reason he was on the bench most of the time (Murray knows he is not a championship player) yet it looks like he has offered him a new year contract. If it is true, it's just more reason to believe Murray is out of his depth, clueless and wanting to protect the 'magalauf boys club' of last year.

I worry for the Raith though, we are a reasonably big side of second tier football, decent sized support considering all factors (The fact a lot of season tickets have shifted so far shows we have a good core of fans) yet we are losing players to our direct competition next year in QOTS, Why?

We were lucky to be in this league after our run of form, we certainly wouldn't have beating dunfermline like Cowdenbeath did in a playoff.

I worry things are going to go down a morton route as clearly the players we are keeping ahold of are no good (proved that this season).

He obviously doesn't if he's been offered a contract. Spence has many issues with his style of play, he's too lightweight to be the focal point of an attack, he lacks the all round vision of someone like Elliot and he's crap at one on ones. Yet he's scored about a dozen goals for us in each of his two seasons. I'm not fussed if he stays but I wouldn't be miseralbe either. That will leave us with two striker positions to fill even if he does re-sign.

As for losing players - we've lost one player to a direct rival, who are managed by a man with a clear man crush on Baird (not the first time he's tried to sign him) and a two year contract that was probably more than we offered and was a lot closer to his home for training. We clearly wanted to keep him but obviously not as much as QoS wanted to sign him. QoS have a relatively settled squad while we are going to be in a bit of flux over the summer. It happens, but as talismanic as Baird is for us and as greta an impact he's made - he's not irreplacable.

I really wish the season wasn't over and we were still playing so everyone could remember how shite we were for the last 5 months... ''Out of sight out of mind''. We were awful guys, Anelka awful, so why retain most of the same squad? Players like Spence, Anderson, Fox should be away without a hesitation, they nearly got us in the seaside league! Same again next season Murray aye?