Unpopular opinions.

9 hours ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

so back when a cruciate injury ended your time in football, be you ammy or pro, what did folk do then ? 

Happened to me aged 15 in the late 80s. I just got fat and bitter. 

30 years later and I've not changed. 

People who don’t like pepperoni pizza are weak.
Pepperoni on a pizza is a horrible choice of topping. All that happens is the grease runs and overpowers everything. Even when it's from proper Italian takeaways.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The first series of Blackadder is far superior to the others.

Red Dwarf started going downhill after the first two series.

It’s not the best. But it isn’t as bad as people made it out to be over the years. Edmund was too much like mr bean in the 1st series, whereas his cunning and attitude in series 2-4 seemed to make it better. Baldrick being played as the loveable idiot worked better as well. I

Pepperoni on a pizza is a horrible choice of topping. All that happens is the grease runs and overpowers everything. Even when it's from proper Italian takeaways.
That wouldn't be a problem in proper Italian takeaways because Italian pepperoni pizzas don't have meat.

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Across all 8 series their are good/memorable and bad episodes. Series 8 was actually my favourite and i think series 4 and 6 as well.

True, but the theme of the show changed with Series 3. Until that point it was about the last human alive, stuck in an empty godless universe with no company but a glitchy AI, a humanoid cat descendent with no empathy, and a hologram of possibly the worst human being to exist outside of Scottish football forums. It was pretty damned bleak.

Then Kryten arrived and the show turned into a group of chums gadding about the universe meeting weird Dr Who creatures and getting into sci-fi scrapes. It's a lot of fun, and I doubt they could have kept going with the initial premise for much longer anyway, but it's a different show. I've only read (well, listened to the audiobook of) one of the original novels, but it seemed a lot more like the show at the start. It was very good, BTW; that's another thing to add to the lockdown list.

Edit: they also ripped off John Carpenter's Dark Star quite chronically, but that's another matter!

Edited by BFTD

The American capitalist ideology of -  excel in life or get f**k all , helps bring out the best in people who have the brains and energy . Many of those same people in this country would just coast through life in mediocrity despite being capable of better , in much the same way that some players settle for being the big man at the old firm instead of taking their career as far as possible.

It's the getting f**k all part if you fail that's a bit harsh

As much as I like the first series, this is incorrect.
Red Dwarf started going downhill after the first two series.
I'd say the decline in quality started after series 3. Series 7 definitely the worst of the pre-2000s series.

19 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The American capitalist ideology of -  excel in life or get f**k all , helps bring out the best in people who have the brains and energy . Many of those same people in this country would just coast through life in mediocrity despite being capable of better , in much the same way that some players settle for being the big man at the old firm instead of taking their career as far as possible.

I'm genuinely unsure about this - the fact that you spend your whole existence telling everyone else how great you and your country are doesn't make it true.  They tend to set the bar low for themselves and high for everyone else, resulting in exactly what you'd expect.  

Definitely an unpopular opinion so fair play.  

19 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Only if your value judgements are measured in dollars. 

I quite like the last Fantastic Four film. It's an absolute mess in a variety of different ways, not least because it entirely forgets about needing a third act until the film's almost over, but it's such a masterpiece of poor design and decision-making that it becomes entertaining despite it's sheer banality.

I quite like Suicide Squad for the same reasons. They both feel like a behind-the-scenes story about how they got fucked up would be more interesting than the films themselves.