Unpopular opinions.

44 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Glaswegians are absolutely obsessed with other Scottish people’s accents. Constantly hear them going on about ‘Glasgow Uni’ accents, or ‘Teuchter’ accents. If you don’t have a very working class Glasgow accent then you’re not a true Scottish person to them and you’ll be met with some tired Limmy patter. Especially funny when it comes from some Hutchy-educated guy who grew up in a huge detached house in Pollokshields, yet desperately puts on a thicker accent. 

On the sectarian point, agreed it’s noticeably different on the east of Scotland v the west. 

Utterly raging now thinking about those goons. I fuckin hate guys like that. A burning hatred.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hence the absence of buses parading down to Ibrox and or Celtic Park from the likes of Elgin,  Fraserburgh and every other bin in the country (including Inverness, Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen). 

East Coast/Teuchter bumpkins pretending that they're free of sectarianism is like a 99% homogeneous white British town claiming that they're free of racism. 

It's largely because they're relatively free of Irish diaspora. While agree that there are obviously a high enough density of currants up here there really isn't the old firm tribalist hegemony up here. 

5 hours ago, velo army said:

As a quasi-weegie living up here this is absolutely on the money. A lot of the "aberdonians are dour" chat comes from Glaswegians who massively buy into their own "whit we like?" self-aggrandising mythology. 

I've never found the denizens of this fine city to be anything other than warm and friendly. 

Also, and I can't say this enough. I love that there's none of the bigotry pish up here. It took me a while to decompress after living in EK/Glasgow for 30 years but it's a breath of (admittedly very cold) fresh air.

I am biased as an Aberdonian, but I don't get the "dour" chat either (apart from when it comes to me, of course).

I spend a lot of time between Aberdeen and Glasgow, and they are both cities with plenty of fundamentally good and friendly people, who have a lot more in common than separates them. I can't say I have noticed a discernible difference in friendliness or helpfulness between any Scottish city or town, really; all have plenty of good, friendly and down to earth sorts. All have a percentage of dicks, too, but it's very much a minority wherever you go. 

1 minute ago, velo army said:

It's largely because they're relatively free of Irish diaspora. While agree that there are obviously a high enough density of currants up here there really isn't the old firm tribalist hegemony up here. 

Err yes - there's just a staunch hegemony instead which is apparently much more preferable because reasons.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Err yes - there's just a staunch hegemony instead which is apparently much more preferable because reasons.

Nah mate. We're a one team town. Rangers fans here are as hegemonic as we are in Glasgow. 

I can’t say I’ve personally seen sectarianism really anywhere in Scotland, aside from a couple of football grounds and their surrounding areas on match days. Of course, I don’t go to places where you’d likely see it 

One thing that is slightly strange is the beginning of Orange / Apprentice Boys marches in Inverness, which didn’t exist until a couple of years ago. You hear people say that it’s because Glaswegians have moved up to Inverness in the last few years as the city has grown in size but I don’t really buy that, particularly as the march was set up by a bunch of guys from Perth. There was an attempt to hold one in Aberdeen last year but it was voted down by the council.

I think I saw it said somewhere that the number of these matches taking place is increasing everywhere in Scotland, I guess this reflects that.

ETA - The March in Aberdeen is actually in Stonehaven and has been banned by a sheriff this week.

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Banksy is w****r and so are the middle class clowns that fawn over his shite vandalism. 

Banksy's softly-softly approach only causes tiny ripples. If you're going to do it then you might as well just go full blast like Jorit does in Naples with murals covering the entire sides of high-rises.

Edit: BBC reporting today that Banksy has kicked off a debate on urban tree pruning. Radical stuff.

Edited by Freedom Farter

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Wales/the Welsh/the Welsh national team are fine. I don't get the hate for them. 

I was supporting them at Euro 2016 because Scotland never made it and I have Welsh relatives. Their run was brilliant. 

I was delighted for them but also vaguely jealous. 

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Wales/the Welsh/the Welsh national team are fine. I don't get the hate for them. 

I don't get it either. Maybe some folk have known Welsh people who've been annoying about the undeniable fact that their national team has been better than ours for decades. Haven't experienced that myself, so I don't care.

Frankly, they were utter mince and didn't qualify for anything for, what, sixty years? It seems churlish to be bitter because they've done well for once. It's annoying that they've been more successful at multiple tournaments than we ever have, but that's an 'us' problem. Christ, even Northern Ireland have advanced past more tournament groups than we have, although not wanting to see them do well is more understandable.

I lived in Wales for 2 years and I don't have any problem with Welsh people personally, but I can understand why some would dislike them.

Stereotypes are stereotypes and don't represent everyone, but I found by and large for them to be an accurate enough for a rule of thumb. I don't think I'd choose to live there again although there are places higher up on my list to avoid than Wales.

I liked the accent when I arrived, loathed it when I left and don't really like it to this day. That's just a superficial thing though. Sorry for any Taffs reading this, I don't mean it offensively - it's was just my experience.

The Welsh have qualified for 3 tournaments in my lifetime, I think you're really, really stretching the definition of "undeniably better" and "much more successful" for "decades". They were better than us for about 3 years in the middle of the last decade, calm down lads.

What's so confusing about wanting your close neighbours to lose? I take great pleasure in seeing England, Wales, North Ireland and Southern Ireland all getting hammered.

Anyway Welsh football is  pathetic. Their national team is not even representative of Wales, given that English clubs bankroll, scout, develop and train a literal 100% of their players for the entirety of their footballing lives. Their future is fully dependant on how English football youth development is going. If it goes tits up, so do Wales. Its a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Wales are not, by any stretch of the imagination, close neighbours. It takes fucking ages to get there (and if you do drive there make sure you stop off at the pricey but impeccable Gloucester Services).

It is just bitter jealousy. I hate that they're better than us, but celebrated wildly in an unpronounceable bar in Cardiff when they beat Belgium. Stunning result.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Wales are not, by any stretch of the imagination, close neighbours. It takes fucking ages to get there (and if you do drive there make sure you stop off at the pricey but impeccable Gloucester Services).

It is just bitter jealousy. I hate that they're better than us, but celebrated wildly in an unpronounceable bar in Cardiff when they beat Belgium. Stunning result.

We literally share a country with them bud.

Bitter jealousy. 😂 At fucking what? The egg chasing?