Unpopular opinions.

On 24/03/2022 at 16:02, Leith Green said:

The BBC Sports news on the radio reporting on womens fitba straight after the mens. Totally confusing when they talk about the Champions league etc.

If it were purely based on popularity of said sports there would be an angling section, snooker, darts, shinty, knitting and basket weaving before the SWPFL

Hide contents

I know this sounds totally 1970s sexist, but I just think the interested audience in womens football is massively outweighed by the BBCs concern to be seen as showing a level playing field

The Guardian football page's reporting of women's football does this to me.

The headlines often don't make clear at all that they're talking about women's football and leave me surprised to read of the results of games I didn't realise were on. Especially when checking the news early in the morning. 'Arsenal were playing Chelsea last night?'

No, Arsenal Women were. Etc. But they seem desperate to not differentiate. It's just annoying for the reader.

Women's football isn't something I watch, but it doesn't annoy me either the way it seems to wind some people up. It's just a bit daft when they go out of their way to try and make you click on articles about it like that.

Aye, I remember when the BBC suddenly amped up their coverage of women's football overnight, but made no effort to separate it off. One of their top stories was about Scotland giving someone a damn good thrashing in a World Cup qualifier, which had me temporarily livid over missing it.

Thankfully, I've since seen the men's team beat the Faroes 1-0, so I think that evens things out.

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's a promotional job as part of their public service remit. There's plenty other channels that cover stuff based on popularity. 

Women's football gets regular BBC 1/2 billing that its viewing figures generally do not justify in popularity terms. 

Meanwhile 'public service broadcaster' BBC Scotland provides a highlights package of SWPL games while refusing to do the same for Scottish Championship football that attracts a far greater audience every week. A straightforward rubric that combines public service broadcasting with viewer interest would put the latter show on BBC Scotland instead (and seaside league coverage as well). 

The women's game should not be patronised in this way. Its promoters are free to go for either a public service or popularity pitch to earn broadcast rights; they shouldn't get to have their cake and eat it though, and squeeze out other competitions from coverage (and therefore money) in the process. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Women's football gets regular BBC 1/2 billing that its viewing figures generally do not justify in popularity terms. 

Meanwhile 'public service broadcaster' BBC Scotland provides a highlights package of SWPL games while refusing to do the same for Scottish Championship football that attracts a far greater audience every week. A straightforward rubric that combines public service broadcasting with viewer interest would put the latter show on BBC Scotland instead (and seaside league coverage as well). 

The women's game should not be patronised in this way. Its promoters are free to go for either a public service or popularity pitch to earn broadcast rights; they shouldn't get to have their cake and eat it though, and squeeze out other competitions from coverage (and therefore money) in the process. 

I'd like to see the championship on Sportscene at least. Wonder why they did that a few years ago but don't anymore. 

There's room for both, just show less of the utter shite that they put on. Is casualty still on? Bin that then. 

4 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

From another thread.
McDonalds is an assault of the taste buds.
Utterly vile tasting experience that you just can't remove from your mouth for over 24 hours.

McDonald's is only good at breakfast time. I enjoy the occasional McMuffin and a hash brown. Their main menu is shite though...