The Falkirk FC Thread

Watched on FFCTV again.

Apart from encouraging performances from McManus, Gomis, Telfer and Connolly little to get excited about.

Pre-season still with lots to do to improve IMO.

Ayr will show us really where we are IMO. Remember last years dross beat them twice and they look weaker.

Big support will go down hopefully .

Started off well but lost our way second half against lets face it a very poor stranraer side. Gomis cruised it, mcmanus played well although still lacking a bit of sharpness understandably.  To me the formation we played doesnt suit the players we have. Doyle for instance is a very old school fullback. Run all day , tackle a brick wall but very limited in a footballing capacity. Asking him to provide all your width and crosses is therefor never going to work.  Same on the left with dixon. Both players to me would look far better with players in front of them to provide the width and play off. Defence was pretty solid in the main although they werent up against much.

Thought Gomis was outstanding last night and got to agree on pretty much all comments made, Good few shouts from Doyle looking for the ball on the right when he was unmarked by the time he was looking to get the ball he was marked.  I think the one thing with last night its difficult to judge a team when your opposition has 10 men behind the ball and sitting in to defend its trying to break that down and punish them for any mistakes which fortunately for us McManus did.  Their keeper made a couple of outstanding saves.

I think people are being incredibly harsh on a side that has just been assembled this summer. First half especially we dominated the game and really should have went into the break 3/4-0 up. You’d have been lucky if McManus even managed to speak to Sammon / Denny before the game yet linked up reasonably well. The inter play between the midfielders in the first half was a joy to watch at times, it’s the first time I’ve seen a Falkirk side dominate a team in well over a year. Give them time. 

Edited by wee_bairn

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Thought Gomis was outstanding last night and got to agree on pretty much all comments made, Good few shouts from Doyle looking for the ball on the right when he was unmarked by the time he was looking to get the ball he was marked.  I think the one thing with last night its difficult to judge a team when your opposition has 10 men behind the ball and sitting in to defend its trying to break that down and punish them for any mistakes which fortunately for us McManus did.  Their keeper made a couple of outstanding saves.

Thats why we need to sort out the width in the team if you ask me. We're far too narrow and dont have the players out wide to do damage when it does go wide. A lot of teams will play like that at tfs this season and if we keep trying to play through the middle we'll have the same issues again. Too easy for stranraer when you're playing as narrow as we were last night.

1 minute ago, wee_bairn said:

I think people are being incredibly harsh on a side that has just been assembled this summer. First half especially we dominated the game and we really should have went into half time 3/4-0 up. You’d have been lucky if McManus even managed to speak to Sammon / Denny before the game yet linked up reasonably well. The inter play between the midfielders in the first half was a joy to watch at times, it’s the first time I’ve seen a Falkirk side dominate a team in well over a year. Give them time. 

How many clear cut chances did we create though in that first half? Very few considering the possession and good interplay we had. To me its not the players so much as the formation though that isnt quite right.

In the post match interview McKinnon was asked about signings. He talked about needing cover at left back for Dixon but mentioned no other positions. Hope that not the case as a few injuries or suspensions and we will struggle.

Maybe try and get that Tommy Robson guy as he looks like the type of attacking left back we need. [emoji12]

5 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

In the post match interview McKinnon was asked about signings. He talked about needing cover at left back for Dixon but mentioned no other positions. Hope that not the case as a few injuries or suspensions and we will struggle.

It is the case.

He said earlier in the interview that we will not be running with a twenty man squad. We now have the eighteen players that the budget allowed. If we can somehow squeeze a few extra pennies from somewhere then you might get a nineteenth player, who would be someone that can cover multiple positions, including left back.

But that would be it. The man himself said so - providing you join the two parts of the interview together. 

Not unless there's a sudden massive upsurge in season tickets anyway. Or FFC receive an unexpected lump of revenue from somewhere.

8 hours ago, Falkirkfan6871 said:

Looking at the video online what’s happened to the seats in the away stand bottom row is work getting done? 

In previous seasons away fans (Hibs, Sevco & Dunfermline being the worst culprits) break more seats in the north stand and these need replaced. The odd south stand seat has come a cropper over the years as well. Until recently the club had been taking them from the main stand (That's why the upper corners of the Main Stand are all in white seats - assuming these were bulk ordered when they did the 'FFC' on the south stand). Now looks like they've been taking seats from the far corner of the north stand to cover elsewhere. It doesn't matter so much when we're in this division but it would be good to get these and the white ones in the main stand replaced with new navy blue seats for next season 

57 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Started off well but lost our way second half against lets face it a very poor stranraer side. Gomis cruised it, mcmanus played well although still lacking a bit of sharpness understandably.  To me the formation we played doesnt suit the players we have. Doyle for instance is a very old school fullback. Run all day , tackle a brick wall but very limited in a footballing capacity. Asking him to provide all your width and crosses is therefor never going to work.  Same on the left with dixon. Both players to me would look far better with players in front of them to provide the width and play off. Defence was pretty solid in the main although they werent up against much.

Spot on ! Signing players can be the easy bit. Building them into a team system that delivers the goods is where coaching and management comes in and often the most difficult.

It is the case.

He said earlier in the interview that we will not be running with a twenty man squad. We now have the eighteen players that the budget allowed. If we can somehow squeeze a few extra pennies from somewhere then you might get a nineteenth player, who would be someone that can cover multiple positions, including left back.

But that would be it. The man himself said so - providing you join the two parts of the interview together. 

Not unless there's a sudden massive upsurge in season tickets anyway. Or FFC receive an unexpected lump of revenue from somewhere.

If the board do the right thing on Friday we could see that injection of cash from ST sales. I have the money just sitting waiting to be parted with [emoji16]

I also have the cash I was willing to give to btb on a monthly basis that they could have as well if they play the game and be true to their word.

8 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

In previous seasons away fans (Hibs, Sevco & Dunfermline being the worst culprits) break more seats in the north stand and these need replaced. The odd south stand seat has come a cropper over the years as well. Until recently the club had been taking them from the main stand (That's why the upper corners of the Main Stand are all in white seats - assuming these were bulk ordered when they did the 'FFC' on the south stand). Now looks like they've been taking seats from the far corner of the north stand to cover elsewhere. It doesn't matter so much when we're in this division but it would be good to get these and the white ones in the main stand replaced with new navy blue seats for next season 

I know its hardly a major issue but would it really be too much to ask for the club to clean the place up a bit during the close season so that when the season starts again your not trying to avoid seats covered in bird shit etc . I'm sure if they asked for volunteers it could be done without costing the club too much cash.  A good jet wash is all it needs but every year you come back and the place is stinking.

25 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Maybe try and get that Tommy Robson guy as he looks like the type of attacking left back we need. emoji12.png

I think the formation Mckinnon likes shows you why he let Robson go which is a shame.  As I said previously he's looking for the fullbacks  to provide all the width which Robson would be ideal for but with no right or left wide midfielders it leaves the fullbacks open defensively.  To me his formation is great when you've got an Andy Robertson or Kieran Tierney in your ranks that can attack like a winger and defend like an old fashioned fullback but at our level you're never going to get fullbacks that can do both to the level required for it.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If the board do the right thing on Friday we could see that injection of cash from ST sales. I have the money just sitting waiting to be parted with emoji16.png

I also have the cash I was will to give to btb on a monthly basis that they could have as well if they play the game and be true to their word.

That money will simply go straight to the bod though. They've already invested cash to cover the increased budget this year so I doubt buying a season now will see any more geting spent on the team.  Extra budget will only come from either new owners or the share money from the btb bid.

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That money will simply go straight to the bod though. They've already invested cash to cover the increased budget this year so I doubt buying a season now will see any more geting spent on the team.  Extra budget will only come from either new owners or the share money from the btb bid.

what else do we have to say this is true apart from their words  in a statement

Edited by falkirkzombie

12 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

what else do we have to say this is true apart from their words  in a statement

Well the manager didnt come out and say that wasn't the case so I would like to think that he did go and ask them for more money and they provided it until  either the share issue gets agreed or the club is sold. I would hope that this will be clarified on Friday one way or the other. I'd hate to think what the original budget was like if the increased one has us working with only 18 players.