The Falkirk FC Thread

A few managers publicly complaining about the early start to the season with the games. Not sure if a few of them are just pissed off at losing out, or a genuine pop to the timing.
Had a quick look at all the attendances and surprised at some of the very low turn outs from some of the SPL teams. Maybe its just a diddy cup for many………🙄

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

A few managers publicly complaining about the early start to the season with the games. Not sure if a few of them are just pissed off at losing out, or a genuine pop to the timing.
Had a quick look at all the attendances and surprised at some of the very low turn outs from some of the SPL teams. Maybe its just a diddy cup for many………🙄

Or maybe thousands of fans are on holiday right now..

3 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Whatever it is that’s wrong with the website could one of the posters who have an issue with it please email the club! Maybe they’ll take it on board and sort it! Agree with BPM, the amount of attention it gets on here for something as trivial is getting a bit boring/tiresome. Especially after we just won a league cup group containing Hibs and Morton, I’d have presumed we’d more be discussing that to be honest. 

C'mon, I thought you'd know that we're all Falkirk fans and always looking for something to complain about 😆

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Classic case of sour grapes coming from managers under pressure due to horrible results.  The likes of Hibs should have squads big enough to rotate and still beat league one sides like ourselves.  Lee Johnson won't have to worry about it again as he'll be sacked well before next close season anyway.

Before they start the draw for the last 16 of the league cup, I just wanted to raise that I think it’s a disgrace that we are using seeding in the draw.
The financial advantage that big clubs are getting, coupled with a bye from the group stages should be more than enough of an advantage.
Football has become predictable enough nowadays without deliberately pairing stronger teams against the weaker ones for no justifiable reason. All it does is set up little excitement from the draw from a neutrals perspective …..

2 hours ago, Jackie Myles said:

The new bod aren't perfect and will make mistakes but at least they are doing everything to try and improve the club. The last mob were not just   incompetent but down right criminal in their actions . There's loads still to do but at least we appear to be heading in the right direction.  That doesn't mean they should be devoid of criticism when necessary. They shouldn't get a free ride just because the last lot were a bunch of crooks .I've got to admit I never really use the website I just Google or use the sky sports app for any info I need.

I think you will have to give the board a full calendar year to fully judge them, I bet there is still stuff the previous board left still jumping out of closets. 

They will get things wrong but they seem to be more transparent than the previous and won't point fingers at the fans if it's clearly their mistakes.

The big downside is the previous charlatans should've been chased years ago, their time was up 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

It is a joke competition, far too early a start, top league team seeded in groups then seeds apply for draws thereafter. We would've put a thousand or so in our home games if the games were September, October, so it's no surprise the crowds are poor.

It is an achievement us topping the group but don't think we would've topped the group if it was later in the season.

The dundee or hearts draw comes back to us 😶😶

Edited by MrDust

Whilst I still think we need more than a couple of players in, if the cup money helps gets an extra body through the door all well n good. On a side note it's a pity clubs rarely swap players nowadays. Jefferies was a dab hand at player swaps or player plus cash deals. Mostly for the benefit of the club he was at, get rid of the shite bring better in. 

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Correct, he’s done. Been said a few times, has a successful business outside football, and many offers which he’s continually knocked back to play in the north. 

He certainly looked done when he played for Peterhead but he was the top scorer in the league last season with cove. Wonder if he'll maybe move back to Peterhead.

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Due to your closeness to the board can we all assume that you volunteer at the club? I will be absolutely delighted if your answer is "yes" and fair play to you.

Well I don’t live in Falkirk (250 miles away) however I have done some bits and bobs to help where and when I can since the new Board took over. 

The 'Can't you volunteer and fix it?' is always an interesting one.

Could I sort our website? Yes, it's sort of in my line of work.

Do I want to spend time out of work doing unpaid things I do in work? Hell no. 

We also have a history of treating our volunteers shockingly and taking advantage of their goodwill to essentially get paid jobs done for free.

I'm sure the website will be sorted at some point. One of the great things about digital architecture is that it's (like payments) made what was difficult really easy for the end user.

34 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

The 'Can't you volunteer and fix it?' is always an interesting one.

Could I sort our website? Yes, it's sort of in my line of work.

Do I want to spend time out of work doing unpaid things I do in work? Hell no. 

We also have a history of treating our volunteers shockingly and taking advantage of their goodwill to essentially get paid jobs done for free.

I'm sure the website will be sorted at some point. One of the great things about digital architecture is that it's (like payments) made what was difficult really easy for the end user.

I’ve said many times whether it be season tickets or volunteer work. Never forget that falkirk fc are a business and not a charity. Sure they don’t make big profits but they should in no way be seen as something we have a moral duty to support. 

12 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’ve said many times whether it be season tickets or volunteer work. Never forget that falkirk fc are a business and not a charity. Sure they don’t make big profits but they should in no way be seen as something we have a moral duty to support. 

Absolutely, it`s a decision you`ve got to be happy to take. I got involved after we went into administration in the Brockville days and it snowballed from there. Finally retired after the Cup final v Inverness. On a personal note I was and still am very well treated by the Club for the work put in over these years but accept there are others who have had a different experience.

Guest FFC1965

I've volunteered in a couple of organisations over the years lending some time on a fairly niche professional subject.  It does present something of a dilemma.  

I found a useful test was to try and establish what would happen if I wasn't willing to do the work voluntarily.  The answer is most likely to be either (a) "the organisation would have to pay somebody to do this" (which could be by employing somebody or paying a 3rd party for their services) or (b) "the work just wouldn't get done".  There might be other outcomes that I've not considered of course.   

If the answer is (a) then the organisation should be paying somebody the going rate to do it, as a volunteer is effectively taking denying somebody else an income.     

If the answer is (b) then I see no reason why somebody shouldn't do it on a voluntary basis. 

Of course there is a fine line between the two scenarios (I gave up my first voluntary role as it became clear that a scenario Id understood as a "b" soon became very squarely an "a").   If I ever volunteered again Id definitely agree to do it only on a time limited basis.  

My impression is that football clubs generally have a bad habit of paying way over the odds for duds in certain roles (Holt would be the most recent poster boy in this respect) and take the piss out of low paid folk & volunteers in other aspects of their business. 

Definitely an area where "proceed with caution" is sensible.      

Edited by FFC1965

McGinn and Mackie the pick of our new signings without a doubt.  As others have said though we're completely toothless up top.  

On the basis of the games so far, I think we won't lose many at home and we won't win many away. 

A positive is we look far more solid - on the other hand we looked pretty good (better even?) at this time last year and look how that turned out.  Will feel much more relaxed about the season once we have a few league games under our belt and hopefully a few wins.  

At the moment though, all things considered,  I think we're in line for 3rd or 4th this year - we need to improve.