The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I still think Ola Lawal has something to offer. There's a bit of a poor man's Jose Quitongo about him. Great feet and something a bit different. Not in the playoffs probably but next season I'd like to see far more of him

I'd hope we keep him certainly as as you say there is definitely a player there.  I think that getting him positionally aware for playing at this level has been what's held him back from getting more games this season other than injuries of course. Another player with very little experience of first team pro football.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, you can argue all you want about how many non McGlynn players start games and all of that, but it would be wild to sack McGlynn after 1 single season, which objectively represents progress from where he joined, and may yet turn out to meet our objectives. 

It is without question that next seasons squad can be considered his squad. And it is without question that he and he alone has to show progress again from what may or may not be achieved this season. If we got up he has to at least consolidate but ideally threaten the playoffs. If we stay down he has to win the league. 

I actually don't even know why I just typed that. Iv been mindfucked into replying to the notion of sacking the manager before the playoffs....

f**k me

Spot on. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, you can argue all you want about how many non McGlynn players start games and all of that, but it would be wild to sack McGlynn after 1 single season, which objectively represents progress from where he joined, and may yet turn out to meet our objectives. 

It is without question that next seasons squad can be considered his squad. And it is without question that he and he alone has to show progress again from what may or may not be achieved this season. If we got up he has to at least consolidate but ideally threaten the playoffs. If we stay down he has to win the league. 

I actually don't even know why I just typed that. Iv been mindfucked into replying to the notion of sacking the manager before the playoffs....

f**k me

If you don’t think he’s the man for the job as I do, then I don’t see the difference whether it’s 1 game till the end of the season or 4, which you were in favour of with regards to M&M. 

21 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn didn't start nesbitt in a cup semi final so there's absolutely nothing that points to him seeing him as a week in week out starter in the championship if we were to go up. You need squad players that can do a job in a variety of positions when necessary and nesbitt fits that bill. He won't be on a huge salary either and has played around 80 games at championship level  Progress is better players replacing your starters and those previous starters replacing your squad players . 

That’s why the two year deal given to Nisbett is a hard pill to swallow for me. I’m still not convinced McGlynn knows his best 11 and can’t get my head round why not one year. 

19 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn didn't start nesbitt in a cup semi final so there's absolutely nothing that points to him seeing him as a week in week out starter in the championship if we were to go up. You need squad players that can do a job in a variety of positions when necessary and nesbitt fits that bill. He won't be on a huge salary either and has played around 80 games at championship level  Progress is better players replacing your starters and those previous starters replacing your squad players . 

I don't see Nesbitt as versatile as he's absolutely hopeless out wide so he can only really play in the 10 or as an 8. Gives you plenty of energy in there as he's constantly pressing or looking for the ball but there's hardly any end product and he's very easily bullied in the middle of the park. 

Can talk all you want about him having provided the most assists for us but he's only had 2 assists in the league since January and they were both in the 4-0 against Clyde in the middle of January. Just 3 goals in the league all season for someone who's had license to roam forward at will.

For someone who's supposed to provide the creative spark he's not doing anywhere near enough.

5 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

If you don’t think he’s the man for the job as I do, then I don’t see the difference whether it’s 1 game till the end of the season or 4, which you were in favour of with regards to M&M. 

You're not trying to tell me there's anything remotely similar about the scenarios surely?

Not posted since before the semi so here’s my tuppence worth. 

Firstly, how great was it to see so many like minded people all on the same page in the run up to Saturday but then on the day also. The town was absolutely buzzing. Flags everywhere, Fawkirk colours everywhere & then the convoy through by car, bus & trains was superb to see. Superb to have almost 9,000 at the game & I personally hope as many as possible invest their time & money into the play offs firstly & then next season. What a reception the team got as they came out too 👏🏻

Like most I was quite encouraged with the line up when I saw it on route to Hampden. I felt we were going to give them a right good game & a hard time.

I said it jokingly on the podcast last week that VAR was going to kick us because it’s us & it was just our luck. And it happened. That said, going by what I’ve seen of VAR down south mostly, it’s a pen these days. Stupid or otherwise. 

We had an absolute ton of possession but did hee haw with it when it mattered. Was disappointed with almost every player bar McGinn tbh. Maybe harsh on a couple but too many not at it. Oliver did well when he came on but decision making poor again from him & others. Can’t even talk about Wright, again. 

For me, that Morrison miss was a game changer. Get that and I think the day would have been so different. He was generally poor again on Sat. 

If we get through the play offs, huge overhaul needed to make us a big, strong team able to compete week on week.

HUGE few weeks ahead still, let’s do this! Save any season inquest until then. 

COYB! 

9 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not posted since before the semi so here’s my tuppence worth. 

Firstly, how great was it to see so many like minded people all on the same page in the run up to Saturday but then on the day also. The town was absolutely buzzing. Flags everywhere, Fawkirk colours everywhere & then the convoy through by car, bus & trains was superb to see. Superb to have almost 9,000 at the game & I personally hope as many as possible invest their time & money into the play offs firstly & then next season. What a reception the team got as they came out too 👏🏻

Like most I was quite encouraged with the line up when I saw it on route to Hampden. I felt we were going to give them a right good game & a hard time.

I said it jokingly on the podcast last week that VAR was going to kick us because it’s us & it was just our luck. And it happened. That said, going by what I’ve seen of VAR down south mostly, it’s a pen these days. Stupid or otherwise. 

We had an absolute ton of possession but did hee haw with it when it mattered. Was disappointed with almost every player bar McGinn tbh. Maybe harsh on a couple but too many not at it. Oliver did well when he came on but decision making poor again from him & others. Can’t even talk about Wright, again. 

For me, that Morrison miss was a game changer. Get that and I think the day would have been so different. He was generally poor again on Sat. 

If we get through the play offs, huge overhaul needed to make us a big, strong team able to compete week on week.

HUGE few weeks ahead still, let’s do this! Save any season inquest until then. 

COYB! 

We had an absolute ton of possession but did hee haw with it when it mattered. Was disappointed with almost every player bar McGinn tbh. Maybe harsh on a couple but too many not at it. Oliver did well when he came on but decision making poor again from him & others. Can’t even talk about Wright, again

Spot on with that part of your post 

40 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

I read that Ayr United are upgrading their terracing this year.

Looks like a reasonable compromise between seating and standing.

Probably not high on our priority list at the moment financially but looks decent enough.

IMG_3263.jpeg

Looks good, glad to see them invest in Somerset. Its my favourite ground to go to. Looks like a very classy upgrade.

Guest Caractacus Potts
26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You're not trying to tell me there's anything remotely similar about the scenarios surely?

Playoffs weren’t guaranteed but the remaining matches were just as vital as the ones we have coming up. That’s not to mention we were competing for the the league title and that McGlynns record is absolutely on a par with M&M. 

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Exactly M and M had lost the players completely who had by that stage had completely chucked it.  Nothing telling me that is the case at the moment with mcglynn.

McGlynn isn’t daft and he’ll know in his head the level of work that will need to get done to the squad if we were to reach the Championship.

Realise I’m being hypocritical having contributed to the debate earlier but any continued discussion of the if, buts and maybes is entirely meaningless until we know the outcome of the play-offs. Chat of sacking McGlynn is entirely unserious and shouldn’t be entertained. Let’s see how the next few weeks pan out and we can have a proper discussion on what come next - let’s hope it’s discussing what we need in the Championship next season.

8 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Playoffs weren’t guaranteed but the remaining matches were just as vital as the ones we have coming up. That’s not to mention we were competing for the the league title and that McGlynns record is absolutely on a par with M&M. 

I don't think you remember watching that team post covid break mate. They were absolutely ruined. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Exactly M and M had lost the players completely who had by that stage had completely chucked it.  Nothing telling me that is the case at the moment with mcglynn.

M&M gained 7 points in their last 6 matches. McGlynn has gained 9 in his last 6. Prior to Alloa it was 7 in his last 6. The margins between a team that have chucked it and not don’t appear to be that much different. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think you remember watching that team post covid break mate. They were absolutely ruined. 

They were poor and never suggested otherwise but still got 10 out of 15 from the first 5 games back, which is higher than McGlynns season average. They only got 2 games after that.

I actually think the real problems started when Holt got involved more. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

M&M gained 7 points in their last 6 matches. McGlynn has gained 9 in his last 6. Prior to Alloa it was 7 in his last 6. The margins between a team that have chucked it and not don’t appear to be that much different. 

Lee, FFS give it a rest and away and cut some hair 

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

They were poor and never suggested otherwise but still got 10 out of 15 from the first 5 games back, which is higher than McGlynns season average. They only got 2 games after that.

I actually think the real problems started when Holt got involved more. 

Come on. Look at their signings for starters  FFS. All pish. Covid kept them in a job that season nothing else. We had started to tank with defeats to Airdrie and east Fife and then lucky for them the league stopped.  As a full time side we then got going quicker and had a fortunate win at home to Montrose before beating a dreadful forfar side who only won 4 games all season. We then could only draw at home to second bottom Dumbarton.   Our only other win between then and the season ending was at home to 3rd bottom Clyde. We lost to cove and Peterhead and they were given the boot but by then it was far too late anyway.  Noone will deny we  had a poor run of form winning 2 drawing 4 and losing 2 in our last 8 but I wouldn't say every one of those performances was dreadful .  The performances especially the one  against Dunfermline at home didn't seem to me to be one of a side that's chucked it and in our last league game we thrashed the side we could quite easily be playing in the playoffs away from home and yet you want mcglynn sacked.