The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Have you read back this thread, someone posted we have no chance with the current squad. The transfer window isn’t even shut yet.

Sorry didn’t see that. Seen folk question the squad but surprised if anyone thinks we won’t be there or there abouts.

Hamilton are a worry for me though. Had written them off but starting to put together a decent squad. Think it will be between us and them. 

7 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Suggest you have a wee trawl back through this thread 

Read back the last 4/5 pages and seen one person suggest we wouldn’t go up. If you want to be positive then is it not better to not highlight that one post a few pages back? 

Not even July Ffs 😂😂😂. With the current squad we’re nowhere near it but we’ll make at least 2/3 signings between now and end of august. Same every season, pure panic. Think we had about 8 senior players at this point last year 

12 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Exactly, I wonder sometimes why some bother it must be right depressing never having any optimism.

It's our 5th season in League 1.  Most here will have season tickets bought again but we've been consistently let down so perfectly fair that optimism not high especially after last season's collapse. 

We all want the same thing but it's fair on a discussion forum to expect a range of views and given how poor we've been not entirely surprising that some are not yet convinced the squad or manager have what it takes. 

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It's our 5th season in League 1.  Most here will have season tickets bought again but we've been consistently let down so perfectly fair that optimism not high especially after last season's collapse. 

We all want the same thing but it's fair on a discussion forum to expect a range of views and given how poor we've been not entirely surprising that some are not yet convinced the squad or manager have what it takes. 

I totally agree with your sentiment but it’s the same posters who continually peddle the negativity. It’s done at times like it’s in the know knowledge that the budget is spent, we won’t be adding to the squad but then when they are challenged they cannot back it up with facts. Im not totally convinced McGlynn is the answer but I’m willing to give him the chance to prove me wrong, I also won’t judge the squad whilst the window is still open and there is still the option of loan signings coming in.

I think it’s fair enough to question the make up of the squad on any given day. We are all pretty much aligned on where our issues lie, and if not addressed, questions/doubts are inevitable on a discussion forum.

For me, anyone openly criticising in the last five years has by and large, the ones with a “correct” tick at the end of the season.

It’s fine peddling optimism at the start of the season, but I don’t think it’s ok jumping on those who don’t……the doubters have been right time and time again, but I don’t see too much evidence of the doubters asking the optimists to “give it a rest”.

It’s an anonymous forum where everyone is entitled to their say. While the current Board don’t have their troubles to seek, they have backed their manager to the hilt. While I have never rated McGlynn, it was clear why the chose him over a year ago. Concerns and criticisms now sit squarely with the manager, and that’s how it should be. I think it’s perfectly fair to question the retention of Nesbitt, Oliver and McGinn given the gaps we all see in the squad as it stands.

The squad issues are fixable, but they aren’t yet fixed……hence people’s concerns.

2 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

FFS the season hasn’t started yet and some ‘fans’ have written us off already.

Makes you proud to be a Falkirk fan.

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Exactly, I wonder sometimes why some bother it must be right depressing never having any optimism.

May I ask, what have we to be optimistic about?

Is it McGlynn only having one style of play?

Is it that he was continually tactically out thought by other, younger managers last season?

Is it our slow, ponderous build up play that gives the opposition bags of time to get back and defend?

Is it our risky passing balls along the back 4, only requiring a nippy forward to pick up a loose pass and run at the goalie?

Is it our stellar performance where we were absolutely rag dolled by Airdrie 6 - 2 in the first play off game? Where McGlynn stood clueless at the side of the pitch like a rabbit in the headlights?

Is it our 52% win ratio in the 3rd tier of Scottish football?

What exactly do we have to be optimistic about?

4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

May I ask, what have we to be optimistic about?

Is it McGlynn only having one style of play?

Is it that he was continually tactically out thought by other, younger managers last season?

Is it our slow, ponderous build up play that gives the opposition bags of time to get back and defend?

Is it our risky passing balls along the back 4, only requiring a nippy forward to pick up a loose pass and run at the goalie?

Is it our stellar performance where we were absolutely rag dolled by Airdrie 6 - 2 in the first play off game? Where McGlynn stood clueless at the side of the pitch like a rabbit in the headlights?

Is it our 52% win ratio in the 3rd tier of Scottish football?

What exactly do we have to be optimistic about?

New season, new signings and possibly more still to come. As I’ve said previously I’m not totally convinced by McGlynn but this is completely his team now and if things aren’t going good early doors it will be on him and he should be gone.

I always go into a new season with a bit of optimism, it may be foolish I know but if I didn’t and constantly felt gloom I think I would maybe chuck it. There is enough in life at the moment to depress folk without constantly feeling that way about Falkirk. 

If things go tits up early doors I will be on here, like the majority calling for McGlynn to be punted. Until then I’ll wait until I see the new signings in action with a wee bit hope that this is finally going to be our year.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Guest Back Post Misses
5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think it’s fair enough to question the make up of the squad on any given day. We are all pretty much aligned on where our issues lie, and if not addressed, questions/doubts are inevitable on a discussion forum.

For me, anyone openly criticising in the last five years has by and large, the ones with a “correct” tick at the end of the season.

It’s fine peddling optimism at the start of the season, but I don’t think it’s ok jumping on those who don’t……the doubters have been right time and time again, but I don’t see too much evidence of the doubters asking the optimists to “give it a rest”.

It’s an anonymous forum where everyone is entitled to their say. While the current Board don’t have their troubles to seek, they have backed their manager to the hilt. While I have never rated McGlynn, it was clear why the chose him over a year ago. Concerns and criticisms now sit squarely with the manager, and that’s how it should be. I think it’s perfectly fair to question the retention of Nesbitt, Oliver and McGinn given the gaps we all see in the squad as it stands.

The squad issues are fixable, but they aren’t yet fixed……hence people’s concerns.

Outside a RB I don’t see a lot wrong with the squad. At the moment he could only really play three there. Yeats, MCKay and Calvin Miller has played there before. So that is a must for me. 

Two keepers already signed 

Plenty cover at CH with Lang, Donaldson, Henderson, MCKay and even MacKie 

LB: MCCann and Mackie

CM: Spencer, McGinn, Nesbitt, Lawal, Carroll, Henderson, Yeats even Oliver 

Wide 

Morrison, Miller, Honeyman, Agyman (I think he is seen as a CF though)even Nesbitt if required

Strikers

McIver, Agyman, Allen and Oliver. Given a run in the team Allen will score plenty IMO. 

Looks to me that he will play two strikers but can play a few ways if required. I also don’t think McGinn will be played week in week out so his legs are saved a bit. He has certainly sorted out the physicality issue for me. Lang, Agyman, McIver and Miller add much more power and pace than last season. 
To some extent I get the concerns because of how last season ended but if that squad, as it is now, can’t be in the top two then McGlynn won’t be here. 

On 17/05/2020 at 14:07, Bairn in Exile said:

I've always wanted us to come up with something like these retro 1970s Crystal Palace and Birmingham City strips for our away top.

With the Crystal Palace one, have the centre panel in navy and red. (too staunch?).

With the Birmingham City one, reverse the layout, white sleeves and navy panel.

Pin on Football 1960s & 70s

Francis, Hatton, Latchord, Pendrey - Was this the best ever ...

You heard it here first! 

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think it’s fair enough to question the make up of the squad on any given day...

I'd disagree with this assertion as right now it's a massive game of chess whilst clubs and players make decisions about who's staying and who's going from those retained under the circumstances of their deals.

For the last few weeks there has been constant negativity from the same posters who have decided this group is set in stone and unlikely to change when many other posters understand that there will be further movement before the window closes on September 01st!

Players at other clubs will become available for various reasons and unattached players will be holding out for deals or trials down south to materialise before the real action starts. It's the same merry-go-round every year yet the same posters willfully misrepresent that as McGlynn failing to address squad deficiencies.

It's tedious when the same posters post variations of the same falsehoods or opinions when they've been countered or debunked.

Edited by Blame Me

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

To some extent I get the concerns because of how last season ended but if that squad, as it is now, can’t be in the top two then McGlynn won’t be here. 

Top two? We finished in the "top two" last season. That worked out well.

His only objective is "top one". 

11 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He was much quicker than I expected on Tuesday too.

I thought that of Burgess too, back in the day. Until it looked like he was running through treacle, at Tyncastle, on his league debut. Still get flashbacks every so often.🫣

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Fixture list looks quite kind 1st Quarter.

First two home games are against the newly promoted teams

Queens, Hamilton and Montrose all at home

Vital we get off to a strong start. 

Same thoughts - decent first quarter - Cove will be difficult but great chance to make headway.

IMG_3379.jpeg.86ce206b31675bcf1dd5c873bce0fff8.jpeg