The Falkirk FC Thread

33 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I would agree that the number one priority is a right back. After that a CDM would be the most important position for reasons just listed above. We have 4 strikers on the books - Allan, MacIver, Oliver and Ageyman. If we are going to play with one striker (like we did all of last season and like Mcglynn done throughout his time at Raith) then I would argue singing a 5th striker is far less of a priority than getting a CDM. We also have lawal, nesbitt and Oliver that can play that attacking mid/ #10 role.

There is always a chance that some of the contracted players are not in the grand scheme of things and could leave for a regular game or be put out on loan.

So there may be a signing that comes out of the funds saved.

As for Right Back if nobody signed it looks like it's Yeats gig or we play with 3 centrebacks.

Case of wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well the post (not yours) that I originally responded to said: "Club needs outside investment to supplement the fans and patrons"

I just think this is daft.  Falkirk is a massive club in its current surroundings, and would still be a big one in the tier above.

I don't think more money should be necessary at all.  Wanting more while already hugely outstripping your rivals is a bit ridiculous, and reminiscent of OF fans.

We have huge overheads that require servicing it would be ludicrous not to be looking for additional sources of funding.

1 hour ago, Big chungus said:

I would agree that the number one priority is a right back. After that a CDM would be the most important position for reasons just listed above. We have 4 strikers on the books - Allan, MacIver, Oliver and Ageyman. If we are going to play with one striker (like we did all of last season and like Mcglynn done throughout his time at Raith) then I would argue singing a 5th striker is far less of a priority than getting a CDM. We also have lawal, nesbitt and Oliver that can play that attacking mid/ #10 role.

McIver played an advanced midfield role at Alloa several times. He's not your typical number ten type, but he can certainly drop deeper and join in build up play. 

1 hour ago, Big chungus said:

I would have to strongly disagree for a few different reasons. We don’t have a typicalCDM that is physical and can break up play. Spencer and McGinn like to get on the ball and pass. Hendo is a CB by nature and although I think he plays decent at times CDM both him and McGinn got absolutely ran over in the midfield by Airdrie. Hendo could also very well form a partnership with Lang. Some very serious question marks of Donaldson. Yeats very similar to McGinn and Spencer and does not have the physicality required. I really like the look of Carroll. However, he’s 17 and absolutely tiny. I think a physical CDM would can naturally play that position is 100% required.

That's my fear about the midfield, lot of passing and possession but none are the type that's going to get stuck in and mix it, I think McGinn and Spencer are too similar. The squad is still short of that type, a right back and a centre forward. I doubt we'll see any more additions up front though. It could be we need to wait to see what loans we can bring in. 

35 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

We have huge overheads that require servicing it would be ludicrous not to be looking for additional sources of funding.

That's what Rangers fans said.

How much wealthier than your rivals do you want to be? 

Just stop being pish.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well the post (not yours) that I originally responded to said: "Club needs outside investment to supplement the fans and patrons"

I just think this is daft.  Falkirk is a massive club in its current surroundings, and would still be a big one in the tier above.

I don't think more money should be necessary at all.  Wanting more while already hugely outstripping your rivals is a bit ridiculous, and reminiscent of OF fans.

What would be ridiculous is not exploring every possible source of extra cash. We should absolutely be looking for external investment to supplement the FSS and Patrons.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Do you know who this quest for outside investment, despite your existing advantages, makes you sound like?

You surely don't need it spelled out?

Every club would benefit from someone giving them gifts.  The thing that makes Falkirk's prolonged stay at this level notable, is that the club is relatively big, with pretty good crowds - I'm sure I've seen them mentioned.

The club just needs to operate within its means, but wisely.  Doing that would place Falkirk in the sort of 'upper Championship / lower top flight' zone that its size would suggest should be home.

Lack of resources is not the reason that Falkirk is where it is as a club.  Stop pursuing something you don't need.  How the Hell do you think the other clubs down here hope to proceed?

MT, hand on heart, have you never, ever dreamt of an investor with genuinely good intentions for QOTS coming in with oodles of cash and lifting your club up to a higher level? Honestly, never?

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

MT, hand on heart, have you never, ever dreamt of an investor with genuinely good intentions for QOTS coming in with oodles of cash and lifting your club up to a higher level? Honestly, never?

To be honest, not really no.

It would obviously be nice to have a bigger budget, get the ground tarted up, and get some decent signings, so in that respect, obviously, I wouldn't say no.  I genuinely wouldn't want silly money pouring in though, which totally artificially warped the club's standing.

Either way though, that's not the point I'm making. As I've said, Falkirk is not stuck at a lowly level because of poverty.  Seeing additional funding as a priority, strikes me as misguided.  Better decisions need made with the income already available, because in relative terms, it's vast.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

To be honest, not really no.

It would obviously be nice to have a bigger budget, get the ground tarted up, and get some decent signings, so in that respect, obviously, I wouldn't say no.  I genuinely wouldn't want silly money pouring in though, which totally artificially warped the club's standing.

Either way though, that's not the point I'm making. As I've said, Falkirk is not stuck at a lowly level because of poverty.  Seeing additional funding as a priority, strikes me as misguided.  Better decisions need made with the income already available, because in relative terms, it's vast.

Don't think anyone said that we are stuck at a lowly level because of funding. However being stuck at this level causes a massive funding deficit. Our board have been very public about our finances and confirm that even in the championship we are almost always running at an operating loss and its covered by various levels of investment. At league one level this is the same. When you have more fans you need to buy more kit, buy more hospitality, pay for a bigger stadium etc. To say we are miles ahead financially with the budget is just very wrong when we are barely breaking even every year and have been warned about the potential of having to go part time. So I really do not see the issue of talking about potential future investment. Especially if we want to work towards things like building another stand we need to find investment to be making profit. 

Everything is scaled up or down and there are few clubs in Scotland making tonnes of profit. Almost every club needs investment, not to have way more money than anyone else and climb to the top but literally just to stay afloat. Specifically, for the budget, when we lose championship money, crowd sizes etc then everything is scaled back down. We might have the biggest budget in the league, I don't know, but it's certainly not like what you are suggesting where we dwarf everyone else in the league. You can see that from the caliber of manager/player/coaching staff that we and everyone else hire. We are dwarfing no one and to compare to the OF is just beyond ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Stephen.

Dobbie. 

Edited by Bairnardo

We are at this level because of our Previous BoD CC, Lang and co they made some monumental f**k ups and in a lot of ways since last summer its been night and day tbh.  We fell at the final hurdle against Airdrie on epic proportions. Yes, it was a disappointment but other than M and M and the covid season we haven't even been close to getting out of this league due to disastrous appointments.

Regardless of how we look at this objectively or just dislike JM, I like the direction we have been going.  The last bit of last season was poor but it's done and dusted and need to move forward.

Old saying never make a decision when angry and if we were to get rid as folk wanted and face another rebuild and come in mid-table again due to another poor management decision then what ? Because popular or unpopular choice of managerial appointment they wouldn't defend the board if it went wrong even if they did get who they want in the manager's position.

As for a few of the posts of late, unsure if its new accounts trying to troll or genuinely folk pissed off their old mates who have gone from the board and have an axe to grind with the new set up have a word with yourself or even better start up One F again and moan there cause since it shut down you're ruining P&B with the incessant moaning about everything whether it be the shade of green of the new pitch to the new tops to the floodlights or just any random player as a scapegoat to moan about (McKay and Nesbitt exception to that rule though both redeemed themselves to a degree last season before reverting to type)

Suspect very few clubs in Scotland operate at break even without some element of luck (player sales or cup success). 

Even if we go up, our costs will increase so we'll absolutely need new investment to avoid making losses like we did last time we were there.  Any suggestion we shouldn't look for this because  at the moment we've got more money than the likes of Annan is just daft. 

If we're able to break even in League 1 or the Championship by design and have a successful team on the park we'll be the exception and it'll be some achievement.