The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

A loan right back for a season is likely to be an untried youngster, Rowe did well to start with last season but his form fell off a cliff at the end, something that generally happens with youngsters.

Loans are very much hit or miss and often used to pad out squads, we could get a right back in and Yeats might still be our best option

I'll question it if he plays MacIver on his own, Alloa fans have said he ain't a lone striker and we know Allan ain't a lone striker also.

I agree regarding MacIver, what I’ve seen of him yesterday and against Bonnyrigg, I think he looks a decent player. He wins more than his fair share in the air and holds the ball up well. I would however question his signing if he has been brought in to play the lone striker role.

This is where I have a real issue with McGlynn, we should be attacking teams in this league, especially at TFS but he sets us up more cautiously and prefers a possession based, slow build up response. About 20 mins in yesterday there were moans from the crowd with regards to the amount we were passing the ball backwards and forwards across the back. That style of play isn’t going to get the crowd onside, we want a faster attacking approach.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I am in a bit of a minority in that I never ever thought Doyle was bad for us. I found the level of criticism he faced quite baffling tbh. 

I didn't think he was as bad as a lot of players that we've had there, probably above average in fact, however, I wonder what the Springfields and pedros would have said if McGlynn had signed him early on in the window?

Actually, whilst my first mention of him was a bit tongue in cheek, he would probably do a good enough job in the context of where we find ourselves right now!

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Worth trying him in a partnership with Allan I would say.

Neither of them will ever work as a lone striker.

I’d go with that, as the only player that has any of the tools to play as lone striker is Agyemang imo. The only problem with 2 up top under Mcglynn is then you’d sacrifice someone in midfield and we don’t have the energy or physicality to do that.

Playing 3-5-2 would be my suggestion against most teams especially at home where the opposition tend to sit in. It’d also reduce the glaring need for a right back

2 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

I’d go with that, as the only player that has any of the tools to play as lone striker is Agyemang imo. The only problem with 2 up top under Mcglynn is then you’d sacrifice someone in midfield and we don’t have the energy or physicality to do that.

Playing 3-5-2 would be my suggestion against most teams especially at home where the opposition tend to sit in. It’d also reduce the glaring need for a right back

I've been banging on about a 3-5-2 for ages. Ironically the only position that we'd need to recruit for would be the RWB although Yeats may be more suited to that than a defensive FB role?

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

Playing 6 defensive players out of 10 in the Third Division isn't exactly adventurous. 

It wouldn't be six defensive players in the 3rd division though. it would be 3 in defence with one defensive mid (we're playing with 2 at the moment). McCann would be more of winger than a defender, we'd just need someone on the other side to do the same job. It would mean both Miller and Morrison sitting out although they could both be brought on to change the system if need be. 

Not that any of that is likely to happen under McGlynn however.

Actually, I wonder if Miller is any good on his right foot? Not as a RB but a RWB, given he's played as a FB before. Again, I doubt we'll ever find out!

McGlynn knows we need a right back, he has literally said as much. No idea where folk are getting this nonsense that he hasn't known we need a right back or tried to get one. I get the feeling some fans want any old shite as long as its there actual position. If we didn't have the money to get the quality he is after then surely this is when the loan market comes in and we could end up with a right back that we couldn't otherwise have afforded to sign. 

Just now, Believe The Hype said:

McGlynn knows we need a right back, he has literally said as much. No idea where folk are getting this nonsense that he hasn't known we need a right back or tried to get one. I get the feeling some fans want any old shite as long as its there actual position. If we didn't have the money to get the quality he is after then surely this is when the loan market comes in and we could end up with a right back that we couldn't otherwise have afforded to sign. 

Nope. The club are closed for business as of early July. Every passing comment about player numbers from the club is cast in stone. There is zero possibility of outgoing player movement. John McGlynn has abandoned an entire market that he hitherto always uses and forms a key part of lower league squad building. An experienced manager has called off the search for a key position. 

OR......

we just don't have a right back YET.

Your choice. 

19 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree regarding MacIver, what I’ve seen of him yesterday and against Bonnyrigg, I think he looks a decent player. He wins more than his fair share in the air and holds the ball up well. I would however question his signing if he has been brought in to play the lone striker role.

This is where I have a real issue with McGlynn, we should be attacking teams in this league, especially at TFS but he sets us up more cautiously and prefers a possession based, slow build up response. About 20 mins in yesterday there were moans from the crowd with regards to the amount we were passing the ball backwards and forwards across the back. That style of play isn’t going to get the crowd onside, we want a faster attacking approach.

Hoorah. That is what we pay our money for. I want to see a team attacking the opposition quickly and effectively not watching technical passing around the halfway line that allows the opposing defence the opportunity to smoke a cigar before they are called into action.

3 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I haven’t seen anyone say that they think Mcglynn didn’t try to sign a right back, the issue as it stands is he’s blown his budget so would need to rely on a cheap or free loan or moving a player or two on. All the while we have squad with four players who can play left back and 5 players that can play up front when his tactics require 1 of each.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

I've been banging on about a 3-5-2 for ages. Ironically the only position that we'd need to recruit for would be the RWB although Yeats may be more suited to that than a defensive FB role?

Formations are changing in the modern game. One formation when you don't have the ball and another when you do.

Just as the original titles for players positions don't reflect on what they do ie Full Back - Right half. Then the Sweeper system, then the W-M formation then 2 wingers in a few years, and its happening now players will have to be capable of playing in whatever position they find themselves whether it's defensively, midfield, forward.

We saw it last season that many in the squad just can't multi-task in the position they find themselves in.

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If we start the season without a Right Back il be full of anger. But I don't think the logic stands up here. I think that's pre emptively setting up to criticise. There's no indication that we haven't tried to full RB. There's only indication that we thus far haven't managed to get one that's good enough over the line. That's not an uncommon issue in transfer windows. 

McGlynn very much said he went after a right back and the money wasn't right and now the budget is not there in a previous interview. I don't think the issue is not attempting to get a right back, it's more not having options in now for it. We probably will get a loan in but they won't have played mens football as of yet and it's sink or swim for them.

I have said we could possibly still win the league with Yeats there, we won the above league with Hagi playing there whose right foot was for standing on. We are stunting Yeats growth as a centre mid long term, I can't see him playing there in his career other than a stop gap.

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Yeats for sure not a wing back, you need legs and to be very much like a winger.

The current squad has multiple centre mids and centre defenders but little to no cover wide areas for either McGlynnball or 3-5-2.

I only seen yesterday's highlights but that chance in the first half that fell to Morrison, he is hitting that first time if he is on his natural right side, that highlights we have no cover on the left.

Please don't mention Nesbitt as a wide player, not his biggest fan but the invisible man is more visible than him being played wide

3 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

I haven’t seen anyone say that they think Mcglynn didn’t try to sign a right back, the issue as it stands is he’s blown his budget so would need to rely on a cheap or free loan or moving a player or two on. All the while we have squad with four players who can play left back and 5 players that can play up front when his tactics require 1 of each.

Maybe you need to go back a bit to read some of the stuff about him not trying for a RB then? I get what you're saying about having 4 players who can play LB however two of them haven't been signed to do so. In that context you could say that we've got two (maybe more) players who can play RB not that I would ideally want either of them to do so.

The fact that we have players who can play in more than one position is surely a good thing?

First time on here for a couple of days. 

Personally hope BPM comes back on at some point as he’s as big a Falkirk fan as the rest of us. But taking a break from social media, regardless of which element of it, when needed is never a bad thing. 

On yesterday, here’s my pros & cons;

Pros;

1) The pitch looks VERY decent 2) Strip looks a cracker in the flesh too 3) Attacking wise, especially in the 1st half, I thought we looked dangerous 4) Agyeman looks like a player that will have us off our seats (their is a but in the cons) 5) Other league cup group results were a good thing for us

Cons; 

1) Defence looked shaky again although I do think Lang will be good for us 2) Midfield was non existent at times and McGinn & Spencer are too similar. I’d drop the former 3) Agyeman looks like Morrison from 3 years ago. As in doesn’t know when to pass in the most and thinks he can beat everyone in front of him 

All that said, it was a pre season friendly. But the real stuff starts on Tuesday & we need to get off to a good start in the competitive games. Getting out the group stage could be worth 50k extra and their is our addition to the squad without moving anyone on (McKay) or getting a sell on fee (Fulton). 

Was great to be back at the stadium. Regardless of what goes on on the pitch, it’s always great to see familiar faces around you & pals who you don’t see as much in May & June. We’ve lost some Bairns over the summer too though, so a big shout out to those who went along yesterday without their family member or pal for the first time 💙

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

First time on here for a couple of days. 

Personally hope BPM comes back on at some point as he’s as big a Falkirk fan as the rest of us. But taking a break from social media, regardless of which element of it, when needed is never a bad thing. 

On yesterday, here’s my pros & cons;

Pros;

1) The pitch looks VERY decent 2) Strip looks a cracker in the flesh too 3) Attacking wise, especially in the 1st half, I thought we looked dangerous 4) Agyeman looks like a player that will have us off our seats (their is a but in the cons) 5) Other league cup group results were a good thing for us

Cons; 

1) Defence looked shaky again although I do think Lang will be good for us 2) Midfield was non existent at times and McGinn & Spencer are too similar. I’d drop the former 3) Agyeman looks like Morrison from 3 years ago. As in doesn’t know when to pass in the most and thinks he can beat everyone in front of him 

All that said, it was a pre season friendly. But the real stuff starts on Tuesday & we need to get off to a good start in the competitive games. Getting out the group stage could be worth 50k extra and their is our addition to the squad without moving anyone on (McKay) or getting a sell on fee (Fulton). 

Was great to be back at the stadium. Regardless of what goes on on the pitch, it’s always great to see familiar faces around you & pals who you don’t see as much in May & June. We’ve lost some Bairns over the summer too though, so a big shout out to those who went along yesterday without their family member or pal for the first time 💙

🙌👌

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

I think that’s pretty hopeful to gain the quality via the loan system to be honest, but I’ve no doubt we will bring in a loan player to fill the role.

Lewis Neilson made the move to Hearts and has done well with them. He wasn’t too successful with us despite having bags of talent. Rowe did well but his lack of experience showed. Sinnamon and Perry(also from Rangers) were pretty poor. Joe Shaugnessy didn’t quite cut it with us, neither did Wilkie and Mair back in the day who all went on to have great careers.

Point is an inexperienced youngster in a defensive position is a lot to put our hopes on but anyone we do bring in should get our full support. I just think McGlynn has left us with limited options and a potential weak spot in the team by using all of the budget. Hopefully the boy we are rumoured to be getting from Rangers is a gem but do think it’s a lot to expect. 

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

If we went 3-5-2 then maybe McGinn could be deployed in a sweeper role ala Scott McKenzie circa 02/03. Think he could do a job there and would allow Spencer to do the ball carrying in midfield. Ofcourse RWB would be a problem just now but would put much less onus on the defensive side of things for any youngster we are likely to bring in. 

Edited by Van_damage