The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Can't remember exactly what goal it was and I can't find it in the highlights but the one that springs to mind for me is McGinn steaming (trundling) towards their backline on his own then Airdrie waltzing through the middle of the park. Think it was possibly the second.

Yeah it was, McGinn went chasing the right fullback because we were playing that stupid narrow diamond and Devenney had all the space in the world to have a shot on the edge of the box.

1 minute ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Can't remember exactly what goal it was and I can't find it in the highlights but the one that springs to mind for me is McGinn steaming (trundling) towards their backline on his own then Airdrie waltzing through the middle of the park. Think it was possibly the second.

You pretty press as a team or not at all. One very busy striker is ok buzzing about harrassing, but you cant let your midfield be bypassed so easily. You immediately turn it into attack v defence but with your defence moving backwards. Airdrie away 2nd half in the first game we had against them also a great example. esbitt, McGuffie and Hetherington all letting players skip past them with the ball and suddenly your defence are having to face up a man running at them with about 4 runners off them. 

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Our defence then passed it back and forth at the back trying to look for someone to give it to. The punt up the park is fine when necessary but you don't want to resort to it every time you have the ball at the back and that's what the defence was trying to avoid possibly.

Aye, there was times that the frustration was clear to see as well with Donaldson near enough throwing a fit on a good few occasions at the lack of options in front.

We all know that possession of the ball is what McGlynn wants but in terms of ideas on how to keep possession of the ball/escape the press we don't seem to have anything clear on that front.

If we win by 2 goals and Partick/Spartans is a draw, we’ll top the group. If we win by 1 goal and Partick/Spartans is a draw, then we top the group if Spartans win the shootout. If Partick win the shootout it’ll come down to goals scored.

If either Partick or Spartans win then we cannot win the group.

In order to get through as one of the best three second place teams, we need five of the following things to happen: 

1) Stirling lose to St Johnstone

2) Livingstone lose to Clyde AND Cove lose to Hamilton

3) Morton lose to Edinburgh AND Kelty lose to Ross County

4) Dundee lose to Inverness either in 90 mins or a shootout 

5) Kilmarnock lose to Albion Rovers AND Raith lose to Annan

6) East Fife lose to Motherwell AND QOS fail to beat Queen’s Park in 90 minutes

7) St Mirren lose to Forfar AND Montrose fail to beat Arbroath in 90 minutes 

Any 5 of these would guarantee 8 points is enough. There are other scenarios where 8 points is a GD tiebreaker and we could still get through if we win heavily against Peterhead, but I won’t go into all the GD permutations for now.

Scenarios 2, 5 and 7 all look farfetched imo. 1, 3, 4 and 6 all have a decent chance of happening. 

1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

We’ve lost two goals in two games by trying to play football at the back.
Both goals should and could have been avoided.

I thought when we did play long balls we were winning nearly everything in the air. Havent got the ballers to play out from the back like that. A waste

Best runners up since the competition changed format.

You can very much make it through with 8 points or miss out on 9 even when there were 4 spots available. Just need to win our game and hope we either top the group or other results go our way 

22/23

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_45_46.thumb.png.c2cf919df05b608ebe1e2636ddf7b019.png

21/22

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_46_50.thumb.png.1ce95e4f4c7f3d6ba54f6e9ca42e8bd8.png

20/21

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_47_28.thumb.png.ab5b8ac3728d99a04b2131fec45a9f6b.png

19/20

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_47_58.thumb.png.1c237e041e8f45d34931019158505e42.png

18/19

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_48_45.thumb.png.9c1904290a51c75e02f2c44921f5bb25.png

17/18

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_49_23.thumb.png.5c5ed4ef4bf797a1ceb00e84042b33d2.png

16/17

Screenshot2023-07-27at11_50_13.thumb.png.d9f2ec7481a399c45fe26122df17fcbb.png

11 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I thought when we did play long balls we were winning nearly everything in the air. Havent got the ballers to play out from the back like that. A waste

Can only hope Spencer is the guy who can make us tick and mix up the play a bit.

6 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

it's not rocket science to know the right back should be in line with the penalty spot in this situation. It's lazy footballing and/or a lack of basic coaching

We're in possession at this passage of play and not defending but looking to attack. Not sure why he'd be in his own box in this situation 🤷‍♂️ 

Yeats has moved forward - probably as an outlet from the goal kick beforehand - so I don't think there's much wrong with his positioning. It's the LHS of the pitch where the issue arose as the OP described and Lang should have kicked it into touch and allowed us to reset.

While we're on about the schoolboy defending, does anybody else get annoyed at the number of times our defenders let a ball bounce before heading it instead of just attacking it and heading it clear? Is this some new way of coaching? 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yep. Defo. In the KM7, every single pass that doesn't go forward gets met with abuse. Its brutal. 

This does my box in, there could be absolutely no forward pass available (another problem in itself) but there will be shouts to 'get it up the park'. Donaldson will then hoof it up to absolutely no c**t and then get hounded for that. Lose lose.

I don't know what's happened to Donaldson the past 6 months but you can definitely tell his confidence is on the rocks. Hoping he can pick it up. The COYB page on Facebook after Tuesday is making me want to commit mass murder with some of the shouts.

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

This does my box in, there could be absolutely no forward pass available (another problem in itself) but there will be shouts to 'get it up the park'. Donaldson will then hoof it up to absolutely no c**t and then get hounded for that. Lose lose.

I don't know what's happened to Donaldson the past 6 months but you can definitely tell his confidence is on the rocks. Hoping he can pick it up. The COYB page on Facebook after Tuesday is making me want to commit mass murder with some of the shouts.

Do it!

3 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

A lot of the frustration comes from the time it takes him to make the pass. He is slow taking a touch, looking up and making a pass.

3 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

I don't know what's happened to Donaldson the past 6 months but you can definitely tell his confidence is on the rocks. Hoping he can pick it up. 

Honestly thought we had won a watch watching him during the first couple of months with us. There's that player in there somewhere, just need to find it again.

He's giving me the fear more often than not at the moment, in and out of possession. Probably at it's worst when he's throwing himself into challenges after losing the ball, adamant we'll see a leg breaker if he continues with that before the end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

He's giving me the fear more often than not at the moment, in and out of possession. Probably at it's worst when he's throwing himself into challenges after losing the ball, adamant we'll see a leg breaker if he continues with that before the end of the season.

Had the crazy tackle he made in the first half against Strollers made contact, it would have been a deserved straight red, and a fair chance of him fracturing the guy’s standing leg.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

42 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Honestly thought we had won a watch watching him during the first couple of months with us. There's that player in there somewhere, just need to find it again.

I think a lot of this is on the manager, he should be seeing that Donaldsons confidence needs a wee bit building and telling him if in doubt do the simple things. At the moments we are watching League One defenders trying to constantly play as if they are playing for Man City.

I don’t get on there backs but there are times when playing out from the back and,  if they are under threat the ball needs booted as far from our penalty box as possible, regroup and then try and get possession back. If Lang had put that ball into the back of the stand on Tuesday then we would not have lost that goal.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

6 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

image.thumb.png.c04cb82d04b09f8d57b8abaa1c76ef15.png

Give it a second and they both come into view, we're a rare laugh at times.

Just brings me back to the original point really.

I wasn’t at the match, but WTF was McCann while this all evolved ?

Had he bolted up the left wing awaiting the predictable Donaldson diagonal ball ?