The Falkirk FC Thread

15 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

If it comes to it, I really hope we can find money to keep Berra. I think he’ll be having a much bigger impact than a lot of us realise. Really key we can keep him. 

Visible improvements don’t just happen, and are down to 1 or 2 catalysts. Brick shithouse Lang is an obvious one but the improvements in McCann, Yeats & Donaldson - and even Hendo - can be attributed to defensive coaching, and that means Berra. If we don’t employ him, it’s almost certain that Championship side will as we won’t have been the only ones to put 2 & 2 together. 
Think our goalkeeping coach can take some kudos too. 

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

This was the table at the end of January that season. We sold Jay Fulton to Swansea and all Holt had to do was sign an adequate replacement. Instead he brought in Joe Chalmers and Mark Beck - neither were midfielders and both were shite, the useless dickhead. It felt particularly sore given Hibs Hearts and Sevco arrived in the division the following season which effectively wrote off our promotion chances for another 3 years 

20230925_131320.thumb.jpg.936d6cbd8747a14376f086624526ec94.jpg

Played Chalmers at left back ahead of Stephen Kingsley too.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm sure he was mainly a left back at Celtic when we got him but then moved more into midfield as his career progressed.

I beleive that he was the left back chosen ahead of Robertson as a kid at Celtic? 

Definitely a midfielder now though. 

35 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Played Chalmers at left back ahead of Stephen Kingsley too.

Didn’t chalmers have a complete stinker first half at starks park. Don’t think he was that poor a player and has obviously gone on to have a career but that one half pretty much killed his spell with us 

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm sure he was mainly a left back at Celtic when we got him but then moved more into midfield as his career progressed.

I remember him coming in as a midfielder then being played out of position. I'm having trouble remembering what I had or breakfast this morning though (it was cornflakes) so I may well have it wrong.

47 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Didn’t chalmers have a complete stinker first half at starks park. Don’t think he was that poor a player and has obviously gone on to have a career but that one half pretty much killed his spell with us 

One of the worst displays I've ever seen in a Falkirk jersey and my memory tells me that folk were complaining that he was played out of position that day.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Indeed. I'm reminded of 13/14 when we pumped eventual champions Dundee twice at home, and STILL ended up losing in the play offs to Accies after finishing 3rd.

Holt fucked us that season too, by not recruiting from a position of strength in January.

I think I hate that p***k more than any employee we've ever had.

Ditto. He’s a cretin. Worse than Hartley, let that sink in….WORSE than the rat 

2 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Ditto. He’s a cretin. Worse than Hartley, let that sink in….WORSE than the rat 

Holt seems like an ok guy but I definitely didn’t want him back at the club.

Remember when it was said that we had a system in place for recruiting new players and then in comes Luke Holt as keeper. Just another one of the many BS achievements made by the Rawlins. Wouldn’t want to see them back at the club either. 

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Holt seems like an ok guy but I definitely didn’t want him back at the club.

Remember when it was said that we had a system in place for recruiting new players and then in comes Luke Holt as keeper. Just another one of the many BS achievements made by the Rawlins. Wouldn’t want to see them back at the club either. 

Sorry got to disagree. Holt seemed like a complete c**t of a guy, was universally disliked on his second stint as far as I could see (BoD excluded, naturally - they were very clearly totally enamoured with the shite coming out his mouth)

Was it not him who said ‘teams raise their game against us’ as an excuse for being completely pish, powderpuff push overs?

In any case, singing Luke Holt and then trying to defend it is bad enough. 

1 minute ago, BountyBairn said:

Sorry got to disagree. Holt seemed like a complete c**t of a guy, was universally disliked on his second stint as far as I could see (BoD excluded, naturally - they were very clearly totally enamoured with the shite coming out his mouth)

Was it not him who said ‘teams raise their game against us’ as an excuse for being completely pish, powderpuff push overs?

In any case, singing Luke Holt and then trying to defend it is bad enough. 

Yeh there was a lot of rubbish said then. Just meant Holt as a person. Been around him at work and didn’t seem like a bad guy. Sure others might have a different experience, just as I did some of the old board! Certainly didn’t think Holt was good at his job though, but then again who is good at their first job….

8 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Yeh there was a lot of rubbish said then. Just meant Holt as a person. Been around him at work and didn’t seem like a bad guy. Sure others might have a different experience, just as I did some of the old board! Certainly didn’t think Holt was good at his job though, but then again who is good at their first job….

He should’ve stuck to whatever workplace you are referring, absolutely atrocious DoF, and not a good manager either to boot. 

The whole ‘I’ve had a Scotland cap so I know better than everyone else’ was proper cringe, we’re all entitled to opinions but I respectfully disagree that he’s not a bad guy: he perhaps might not intend to be an arse - but he ultimately is an arse 

Mind we were a ba’hair away from getting Jefferies as DoF but he went back to the Jamboes. Impossible to tell what might have happened…

…though FSS gained 80 new members the day he was sacked. Every silver lining…

Edited by StuartA

9 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

He should’ve stuck to whatever workplace you are referring, absolutely atrocious DoF, and not a good manager either to boot. 

The whole ‘I’ve had a Scotland cap so I know better than everyone else’ was proper cringe, we’re all entitled to opinions but I respectfully disagree that he’s not a bad guy: he perhaps might not intend to be an arse - but he ultimately is an arse 

Can’t disagree with that. Did come across as quite obtuse in some of his comments but only going by my experience as a person. I remember he gave away one of his few Scotland tops to help raise money for the club which I thought was a nice touch, doesn’t necessarily make him a good guy but always careful to not equate someone’s performance in a role vs them as a person.

Anyway thankfully he’s no longer in the role.  We went from winning 6 and losing only 2 games in 11 matches before he joined to winning only 2 and losing 6 in the next 11 games. Think Miller and McCracken would’ve been much better off without him around. 

New episode of the podcast OUT NOW

🆕🎙️EP:54 LUST FOR FIFE

🔵 Review 5-1 win over Kelty with our guest pundit @davebairn 🤎
⚪️ Hosting “Fortress Brockville” in November 🎤
🔵 Preview Montrose (H) with Mo’ fan @markrae 
⚪️ Update on A night with Russell Latapy 🇹🇹 PLUS
🔵 Competitions & FFC news 🗞️

Sponsored by Haldane Construction Services Ltd 👏🏻

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

👕 SHOP - merch.falkirkdaft.co.uk
🤝🏼 SPONSOR - Sales@falkirkdaft.co.uk
📧 CONTACT - John@falkirkdaft.co.uk or Ross@falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_4719.thumb.jpeg.2056c3afd604c5e4d326b3efe0b491a2.jpeg

COMPETITION DETAILS…

WIN a £40 voucher for Mattie & Me Home Decor courtesy of Derek Steel (Share our X/Twitter post to win)

WIN a @Falkirkdaft Captains Armband & A4/A5 prints of Brockville courtesy of Slappin Da Bass Designs. Listen to this weeks episode for details of how to win both. 

IMG_4728.thumb.jpeg.256ae1a77b3c3f266bce54597dd3b5b4.jpeg

On 24/09/2023 at 21:39, Bainsfordbairn said:

That was a common theme after the Airdrie game on all online forums. I strongly disagreed with it, though at the time I didn't say anything because it would have been farting against Thunder. Now that things have settled down a bit I'd like to state the case for his defence. (IMO anyway). 

Yes, he got it wrong against Airdrie. I'm sure if you were to ask him tomorrow he'd say that he should have done things differently for that game. Either in terms of player selection or tactics. Now that I think about it, that might be a good question for whenever they next do a fan forum. 

But for me the postitives outweighed the negatives. Improving us shouldn't have been hard, but FIVE successive management teams after Houston failed to do it. (Hartley, McKinnon, M&M, Sheerin & Rennie all took us lower and lower in the pyramid). 

McGlynn stopped the rot and got us into the playoffs. 

He did it despite having most of his budget tied up in players he didn't want. 

Almost all of his signings were a success, with probably only Matthew Wright being a let-down. 

He got us to Hampden which brought in major cash boost to the club, though admittedly he was a bit lucky with the draw. I don't mind that. I like lucky managers. 

He got us playing some excellent football which was probably the best since Houston almost got us up, even if he couldn't sustain it to the end of the season. 

For me all of that was more than enough to keep him on, never mind the gamble of starting again from scratch which had failed us so many times before. Or the financial risk in doing so. 

It now seems that faith has been repaid with recent performances. 

You can poke holes at McGlynns perceived failings, such as not playing two upfront, giving extended deals to Allan / Nesbitt / McGinn or his failures to beat Dunfermline & Airdrie. 

But for me he has one major strength which outweighs everything else. He can spot a player.  He's up there with Jefferies in that regard even if they're operating at different levels. And it's why I want to see him at the club next season as an absolute minimum. 

Only if it means promotion. Fail and I think he's gone. I think McGlynn has to get us up this season I dont think he gets a third time lucky. 

Edited by ebobsboy

7 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Only if it means promotion. Fail and I think he's gone. I think McGlynn has to get us up this season I dont think he gets a third time lucky. 

McGlynn and the BOD were very clear it was a two year plan to get us up, albeit last season was the ultimate aim, only for our neighbours and Airdrie to comfortably get both gigs.

We don’t need to go over old ground,  but it’s  promotion this year or we see a huge step change within our club. 
We would certainly be making substantial cuts and not sure if McGlynn would survive., or we would want to change. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

McGlynn and the BOD were very clear it was a two year plan to get us up, albeit last season was the ultimate aim, only for our neighbours and Airdrie to comfortably get both gigs.

We don’t need to go over old ground,  but it’s  promotion this year or we see a huge step change within our club. 
We would certainly be making substantial cuts and not sure if McGlynn would survive., or we would want to change. 

McGlynn was the same with us.  First season was average then when he had a couple windows to get the players he wanted he got the job done.  Looks like it could be your year this season with only Hamilton really looking like challenging.

18 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I remember him coming in as a midfielder then being played out of position. I'm having trouble remembering what I had or breakfast this morning though (it was cornflakes) so I may well have it wrong.

One of the worst displays I've ever seen in a Falkirk jersey and my memory tells me that folk were complaining that he was played out of position that day.

Looking back when he left Celtic to join Motherwell he's stated as a left back in every article.  I think it was mainly at ict he started playing in midfield after getting freed by Motherwell.

2 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

McGlynn was the same with us.  First season was average then when he had a couple windows to get the players he wanted he got the job done.  Looks like it could be your year this season with only Hamilton really looking like challenging.

Many judged him in isolation, given our stature in League One, but it was the first time we improved on the year before in 5 seasons. The first job was always going to be to create a semblance of stability, but that doesn't go down well with some fans.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Many judged him in isolation, given our stature in League One, but it was the first time we improved on the year before in 5 seasons. The first job was always going to be to create a semblance of stability, but that doesn't go down well with some fans.

There were a good number of posters on here that couldn't seem to accept the possibility that, as we are where we are because we were pish, there would be a fair chance that we wouldn't get back up again too quickly. That shouldn't have been impossible of course, ref Dunfermline, but it was always possible. McGlynn has obviosuly stabalised things and we are now seeing improvement.

Strange how some of the 'this is only L1 FFS, we are Fawkurk, wae a big budget' types don't seem to be as vocal when things are looking better!