The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Jgs said:

Yes it's small but it is good for these small things to be correct too.

Nobody gives a feck about a sign for Christ sake. I doubt many people drive past and suddenly decide to attend a match just because of that sign. Christ signs and darker bits of the pitch. You get some complete feckin zoomers on here at times.

On 10/10/2023 at 23:13, LatapyBairn. said:

Well if the projected operating loss for this year is circa 320k as per the AGM we would obviously need to somehow find that figure again just to simply maintain the current budget should we still be in league one next season. Not quite panic stations but I’d say it is a relatively serious situation that needs proactively highlighted and addressed now rather than later otherwise if we don’t go up we may well be looking at some form of part time set up next season unless there is an unforeseen cash windfall. 

I'm willing to go on record and say I've no idea about running a club but the figures don't add up to me if we say we're £320k short of sustainable in league 1 but it'll only cost another £80k on top of that for a full time academy and pushing at the top of the championship. 

4 hours ago, GMBairn said:

I'm willing to go on record and say I've no idea about running a club but the figures don't add up to me if we say we're £320k short of sustainable in league 1 but it'll only cost another £80k on top of that for a full time academy and pushing at the top of the championship. 

You do realise there’s roughly a 300k up lift in prize money alone just finishing mid table in the championship? Add to that increased gate money and sponsorship.

14 hours ago, Hampden Roar said:

Unfortunately when the club has effectively gave a  “win or bust” statement at the agm both the non football and playing staff will be looking over their shoulder and come January and if we’re not in pole position then we could see more away imo.

They (the bod) made the same comments last year around the delayed AGM and before the cup run, plus the manager made it clear that there were players under contract who could leave if we don't get promoted as they have break clauses. Seems like it's been out in the open and won't be a surprise to anybody. 

8 hours ago, GMBairn said:

This was all explained at the last two AGMs, I suggest those that weren't there go along to the update meeting on 26 October (assuming you're a member of FSS) and listen / ask questions.

10 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

As the current board have recognised, it is not affordable or sustainable to run a full scale academy outside the premier league. The decision not to proceed with a reserve squad this season was the perfect example.

Our limited resources have to be focused where they can have most immediate impact rather than on copious youth squads, physios and sports scientists.

Lots of facts and figures there @Bainsfordbairn - not. 

12 hours ago, Hampden Roar said:

By speaking to former members of staff….. statements like that send jitters,  whatever the business.

Former members of staff, lol. As I commented earlier, the precarious nature of the club and FT v's PT has been out in the open for over a year. 

9 hours ago, Jgs said:

I disagree. I assume you're talking about the bit that does indeed slot in and out of the sign. However, this has all match details on it. A whole new one needs made each game to be slotted in.

I can't imagine this is either cost effective or environmentally friendly compared to having teams/dates/times premade and slotted in defined areas.

I worked in signage no additional cost to putting all the info on one removable panel, indeed cheaper option than having several panels as you are suggesting. 

Edit to add the cost of producing a sign such as this is literally the price of a pie and Bovril!

Edit again to add that depending on substrate used the sign may well be recycled.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

10 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Nobody gives a feck about a sign for Christ sake...

Always find these statement's odd since clearly someone does, either at the club or mentioned on here. The fact it's maintained - not to the presumed standard albeit - and that the club erected it for a particular purpose means it is noticed or else take it down.

Club clearly missing a trick maintaing all of these fripperies outside what happens on the pitch on match days. 

Over the years there has been a substantial list of things "no-one cares about" yet the club devote resources to for unfathomable reasons 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I worked in signage no additional cost to putting all the info on one removable panel, indeed cheaper option than having several panels as you are suggesting. 

Edit to add the cost of producing a sign such as this is literally the price of a pie and Bovril!

Edit again to add that depending on substrate used the sign may well be recycled.

I believe you. However the current sign is very much single use, with the opponent, date and time printed each time, and slotted into one big slot. 

Agree that this is not a big cost, but at the very least it'd be more sustainable to change the main sign to have a slot for opponent, a slot for date and a slot for time, and use reusable signs with opponents/dates/times on it. The opponents, dates and times are quite predictable anyway, so I don't think it'd be too much of a hardship to make and store. 

The hierarchy of sustainability is reduce/reuse/recycle so if it can be moved to the reuse instead of maybe recycling depending on material, I think that'd be a positive and sensible move for the club. 

Edit to add this isn't even mentioning the incorrect naming of the opponents, such as "Hamilton FC" when it is Hamilton Academical FC or even Hamilton AFC which isn't great.

Edited by Jgs

Guest FFC1965
13 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I believe that there were serious proposals put to the board from a group of businessmen prepared to fund the academy.

They were knocked back.

On another matter I was told earlier tonight that there are ongoing discussions about league reconstruction with a 12-12-10-10 set up with no relegation from the Championship this season.

Usually pretty reliable source.

Interesting.  Its always struck me that an expanded Championship is the most likely change to the current set up that could actually gain enough support to happen.    

on 12-12-10-10 presumably most top flight teams (those without a B team agenda anyway) wont care one way or other as long as their slice of the cake is protected and Championship teams would love it (especially this seasons strugglers).  L1 promotion hopefuls like us would also no doubt lap it up.  

Its more likely to founder through opposition from

- teams in L1 who quite like getting the Navy Blue £ twice a season

- L2 teams who will see new teams coming to eat their lunch. 

- top flight teams who might want to exploit any expansion to include access for their B teams 

I could see reconstruction happening but Id reckon it more likely to feature more than 2 new teams being added eg I could see 12-16-10-10.   

Edited by FFC1965

1 hour ago, Jgs said:

I believe you. However the current sign is very much single use, with the opponent, date and time printed each time, and slotted into one big slot. 

Agree that this is not a big cost, but at the very least it'd be more sustainable to change the main sign to have a slot for opponent, a slot for date and a slot for time, and use reusable signs with opponents/dates/times on it. The opponents, dates and times are quite predictable anyway, so I don't think it'd be too much of a hardship to make and store. 

The hierarchy of sustainability is reduce/reuse/recycle so if it can be moved to the reuse instead of maybe recycling depending on material, I think that'd be a positive and sensible move for the club. 

Edit to add this isn't even mentioning the incorrect naming of the opponents, such as "Hamilton FC" when it is Hamilton Academical FC or even Hamilton AFC which isn't great.

I doubt anyone is bothered as long as it says Hamilton FFS. Bloody hell are you even a Falkirk fan or are you just sticking your neb in on pish like this as you've got feck all else to do.  

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Always find these statement's odd since clearly someone does, either at the club or mentioned on here. The fact it's maintained - not to the presumed standard albeit - and that the club erected it for a particular purpose means it is noticed or else take it down.

Club clearly missing a trick maintaing all of these fripperies outside what happens on the pitch on match days. 

Over the years there has been a substantial list of things "no-one cares about" yet the club devote resources to for unfathomable reasons 🤷‍♂️

Do we really think anyone gives a feck that it says .Hamilton FC? Do we really think  there's fans in the pub on a Saturday night talking about how bad it is that there are different bits of wood being stuck in the sign every home match?  As long as it's got the correct details for the match and tells you who we are playing I doubt anyone is bothered in the slightest apart from one punter on here.

32 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I doubt anyone is bothered as long as it says Hamilton FFS. Bloody hell are you even a Falkirk fan or are you just sticking your neb in on pish like this as you've got feck all else to do.  

Think it’s an Accies fan on the windup or a high school pupil who’s bored on October hols 😎

33 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

Interesting.  Its always struck me that an expanded Championship is the most likely change to the current set up that could actually gain enough support to happen.    

on 12-12-10-10 presumably most top flight teams (those without a B team agenda anyway) wont care one way or other as long as their slice of the cake is protected and Championship teams would love it (especially this seasons strugglers).  L1 promotion hopefuls like us would also no doubt lap it up.  

Its more likely to founder through opposition from

- teams in L1 who quite like getting the Navy Blue £ twice a season

- L2 teams who will see new teams coming to eat their lunch. 

- top flight teams who might want to exploit any expansion to include access for their B teams 

I could see reconstruction happening but Id reckon it more likely to feature more than 2 new teams being added eg I could see 12-16-10-10.   

Can’t see why league construction would be getting discussed for the championship unless there’s a benefit to the arse cheeks which I simply don’t see. Protection against falling into the abyss (league 1 ? ) don’t think anyone outside league 1 gives two shits who’s down here, apart from the early runners ICT & Morton who respectively are sitting on the basement and trap door of the championship.