The Falkirk FC Thread

If they didn't want to give away a penalty, the full back shouldn't have allowed a gangly centre half to rinse him from a standing start like prime Ronaldinho and break into the box before giving the ref a decision to make by grabbing at him from behind with no attempt made at winning the ball. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

If they didn't want to give away a penalty, the full back shouldn't have allowed a gangly centre half to rinse him from a standing start like prime Ronaldinho and break into the box before giving the ref a decision to make by grabbing at him from behind with no attempt made at winning the ball. 

Totally agree. The defender puts his hands on Donaldson’s waist in the box. Is it soft? Absolutely. Is it a penalty? By the letter of the law , Yes. The uproar from Hamilton fans and Dunfermline fans (🤣) on twitter is laughable. 

After watching the highlights that's not as bad a result as it first seemed. 

Genuinely think that can go down as one of those days, their keeper has made some great saves, their defenders have cleared a couple of the line and we've hit the bar twice. Plenty of chances in the first half as well, not just all in the second.

Edinburgh moaning about the penalty but you can see the guy pulling Donaldsons shirt and I think it's just naive defending, even if it is a bit soft you should be criticising the defender, not the attacker or the ref.

I do agree with other posters that mcginn is done though, didn't see much of him in the highlights but it was obvious last season and when he's got minutes this season recently he weakens us in the middle, slow passing, giving away fouls and teams can play around him really easily.

Calvin miller with a great high pressure penalty on 96 minutes. Easily one of our best players this season. 

Saw a bit of fuss on Twitter about the penalty so took a look, it's a blatant foul, and certainly looks to continue into the box which means it's a penalty. One of those ones where the contact hasn't caused Donaldson to collapse in a heap, but he has been pulled back and if you don't go down like that you don't get the penalty you deserve. Terrible defending to let him past and then panics by pulling his shirt.

Pretty much covered across the last few pages, McGlynn completely fcked up. Interview was poor and just hoping he’s learned from yesterday’s Fck up.
Worried when the team was announced, the formation was completely wrong. However I don’t blame any of the players given a rare outing, and tbh could have been four up in first 15,  what it confirms that we are relying on a first 13/14.

For all the shite endured, Millers pen and a point saved might just be the best reminder and kick up the arse we needed. Some of the shite on the press and socials had us promoted already.
Since no one has mentioned, Edinburgh albeit with a first team made up with rookies and youngsters - good luck.

Couldn’t make yesterday, however now having see the highlights and heard a bit more about the match, obviously wasn’t good to hand 2 points of the gap away to Hamilton, but the damage got partly rectified, and the second half returned to what should have been happening from the start.

Allan where he may be hacked off with little game time has been rank rotten in these few reserve games they’ve had

Alfie hasn’t a clue what he’s going to do with the ball at his feet, becoming really fed up with him.

McGinn is done

Mackie has been out the picture so long he needs to realise we play at a completely different tempo to when he last played regularly 

Hamilton will drop points too in the coming weeks but ultimately it will come down to the head to head between the teams. It’s a bit like us and Dunfermline last season, with us thinking we could do the catch up until finally getting finished off in the March fixture. We could do the same with Hamilton in February 

The only assessment I’d disagree with is Mackie.  I thought he did ok being played in a very odd position.   I think he’s a decent CB and a moderate FB, but he’s not a wing back or even less a left winger which was his general position yesterday.

11 hours ago, HonestAl said:

There’s only one direction in which to point the accusatory finger, mate, and that is the way of the Falkirk FC team management who decided to change a winning team formation and players simultaneously. 

Fair enough but let's not forget who got us that winning team formation and players in the first place. Learn and live and onwards and upwards and let's assume the lesson has been understood and won't happen again.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Since no one has mentioned, Edinburgh albeit with a first team made up with rookies and youngsters - good luck.

If they move from Meadowbank then I agree. I felt for the woman selling cakes and raffles in the Falkirk side yesterday - Edinburgh City's owners do not deserve her. It's supporters like that who are the real owners of any team. I hope they survive (and their new signings are better than their old team it seems)

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

11 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

Today is on the manager. I’m sure he will learn from it and we won’t see that kinda shit again. However after 21 league games that’s our first properly bad result so I’m not gona over react.

Agree with others that today should be the end of the Jordan Allan love in. Even though we’re unbeaten all season there’s a section of our support who continually harp on how he should be getting more game time. The guy is not good enough to lead the line for us - plain and simple. He certainly wasn’t alone today but he’s the one folk keep harping on about.

Strongest 11 from now on please. 

Allan, McKay and Lawal can all go for me this window, Allan just hasn't worked out and I think yesterday might be the final nail in his coffin, McKay isn't good enough and Lawal is so far out the picture it'd be in his interest to try his luck elsewhere. I think we all agree McGinn is done and is counting down his playing days till he chucks it, probably at the end of the season. As for Mackie, Alfie and Oliver I'd keep them for cover. Not that I'm in anyway convinced by any of them. I just don't get what McGlynn sees in Mackie he's never ever going to be as good as McCann, he can be rash and all over the place at times. Agyeman has pace and strength but he doesn't have a trick, he seems very much a confidence player, you just don't know what he's going to do and I'm not sure he knows himself. Oliver is just well Oliver, capable of grabbing a goal but just as capable of having a stinker and missing right in front of goal (see cup semi). I'd be reviewing their situation at the end of the season IF we do go up.

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

Allan, McKay and Lawal can all go for me this window, Allan just hasn't worked out and I think yesterday might be the final nail in his coffin, McKay isn't good enough and Lawal is so far out the picture it'd be in his interest to try his luck elsewhere. I think we all agree McGinn is done and is counting down his playing days till he chucks it, probably at the end of the season. As for Mackie, Alfie and Oliver I'd keep them for cover. Not that I'm in anyway convinced by any of them. I just don't get what McGlynn sees in Mackie he's never ever going to be as good as McCann, he can be rash and all over the place at times. Agyeman has pace and strength but he doesn't have a trick, he seems very much a confidence player, you just don't know what he's going to do and I'm not sure he knows himself. Oliver is just well Oliver, capable of grabbing a goal but just as capable of having a stinker and missing right in front of goal (see cup semi). I'd be reviewing their situation at the end of the season IF we do go up.

Good post, and spot on for me, only difference of opinion is Alfie, he’s a far better player playing as an old type 10, but there’s a few in front of him. Yesterday would have confirmed/sealed a few players futures. 

8 hours ago, GMBairn said:

After watching the highlights that's not as bad a result as it first seemed. 

Genuinely think that can go down as one of those days, their keeper has made some great saves, their defenders have cleared a couple of the line and we've hit the bar twice. Plenty of chances in the first half as well, not just all in the second.

Edinburgh moaning about the penalty but you can see the guy pulling Donaldsons shirt and I think it's just naive defending, even if it is a bit soft you should be criticising the defender, not the attacker or the ref.

I do agree with other posters that mcginn is done though, didn't see much of him in the highlights but it was obvious last season and when he's got minutes this season recently he weakens us in the middle, slow passing, giving away fouls and teams can play around him really easily.

Calvin miller with a great high pressure penalty on 96 minutes. Easily one of our best players this season. 

It absolutely is as bad a result as it first seemed !

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Still a point more than than I expected. As I've seen City lose to Hawick and Gala Fairydean in my time a last minute penalty equaliser to Falkirk is neither here nor there 

That is where you should be back playing . 

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

This.

It's a bad day from what sounds largely like a managerial brain fart or perhaps a bit of arrogance.

In the great scheme of things it's only an unexpected 2 points dropped by a team who are by a distance the best team in the league. 

Falkirk will absolutely be champions this season.

I don’t think it is arrogance. I genuinely think he has said to his fringe players that this is your opportunity to stake a place and they didn’t take it. I also suspect we are carrying one or two niggles. It back fired, it was the wrong call  but it is all still in our hands. 

12 hours ago, HonestAl said:

I agree but would add that it wasn’t just the regular starting eleven who changed, but the formation and style.

John McGlynn has been a manager in professional Scottish Football since 2006. 18 (eighteen) years.
He’s not some wet behind the ears rookie, and to say he’ll learn from this mistake is incredulous. From his post-match interview, he initially (and mostly) laid the blame on the defence. 
There’s only one direction in which to point the accusatory finger, mate, and that is the way of the Falkirk FC team management who decided to change a winning team formation and players simultaneously. 
Those Raith Rovers fans warned us last season about his tinkering (and that came to pass too) but I (we) am dumbfounded that this was repeated here.  

And Tom Lang was visibly shaking with rage post match…I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of this.

I could not give two monkeys about what Raith fans say or think. I have, in the last 18 months seen very little “tinkering” but him sticking, sometime wrongly IMO, to nearly the same set up. 
Do you want this to fester and rumble on? Why would you want that? Take it on the chin, don’t make the same mistakes again and move on. 

Those two goals scored by Edinburgh took me back to a time not so long ago when it was a normal thing to give away, so bad we were. Yet, before swearing at the laptop and launching a cup across the room, I actually laughed, such was the comedic nature of our alleged defending.

I am more of the view that this was a glitch and our players, so angry at how it turned out (even though we kept the unbeaten run intact), will make it clear that it was a one off.

1 minute ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

I am more of the view that this was a glitch and our players, so angry at how it turned out (even though we kept the unbeaten run intact), will make it clear that it was a one off.

I think Tams post match interview confirms it was a bad day at the races  and lessons learned. Park the bus and let’s look forward to next Saturday 

The corner goal is a freak event not bad defending imo. The ball looks like it’s heading for the goal line so all players rush to the line to try cover the angle. It skims perfectly off the bar and straight to an Edinburgh head. So an assist for the bar. 

Maybe if you’re harsh someone should’ve stayed marking him but it’s a situation I’ve never seen before having watched a lot of football 

In an effort to move on from yesterday I bought myself 4 tickets this morning for the Hamilton game in a month. It's going to be massive. 

Looking at the fixtures, it's very likely that they will close the gap on us between now and then. They have 4 games to our 2 games and their games are very winnable, 2 at home and 2 away. Our two games are both away to Alloa (on a very good run of form under their new manager) and Cove, who will likely have some signings in by then and Fyvie will be back so probably a different proposition to Tuesday night.

Would be nice if we went into that game with them still with a decent gap.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn