The Falkirk FC Thread

Having watched the highlights this morning I am still convinced this should be the beginning of the Long goodbye.

The 2nd goal is particularly embarrassing when you see the distance it travels and the fact his positioning is spot on, only for him to let it sail through his gloves 😳

Edited by Blame Me

2 hours ago, BPM Again said:

I do actually. If you judge him over all the games he has played he has done well. Granted he was at fault for the first today. Not sure he could do a great deal with the winner. 

I think when you see the highlights you’ll wonder why he wasn’t able to stop the second…….

2 hours ago, BPM Again said:

I do actually. If you judge him over all the games he has played he has done well. Granted he was at fault for the first today. Not sure he could do a great deal with the winner. 

I’m afraid I can’t agree. Hogarth was number 1 until after the 5-0 win vs Stirling and then McGlynn made Long the 1st choice again.

You can definitely see a difference in the defence when Long plays which would suggest there is not a great deal of confidence in him.

I think he has potential and I’m not going to slag one of our players off but he’s had a degree of culpability for our 2 recent shocking results which will impact his confidence and also further impact the rest of the defences confidence in him

I would hope Hogarth would be recalled for the Alloa game however given some of the managers recent decisions who knows if that will be the case.

I’m not happy to be out the cup due to the financial implications but after sleeping on this it’s not panic time. The league form has been brilliant and we are still unbeaten in L1, go to Alloa next week, play the football we know we can and we should be fine. John and the team deserve our backing and we have to keep getting behind them COYB.

We’ve all known from season kick off that there’s mistakes in both keepers. Both have good attributes but like we seen from Long yesterday, simple howlers. McGlynn has built a formidable team, just hope that the GK situation as it stands doesn’t come back to haunt us. His dilemma for next week is to either stick with Long who looked broken at the end, or restore Hogarth.

14 hours ago, Higgenarse said:

I can understand Dunfermline fans laughing at us on here but the minks from Greenock is more of a mystery. It is like they are trying to create a rivalry that doesn't exist as we don't care about their grotty wee club. I suppose they should make most of it before the clubs return to their normal positions in the leagues.

Alternatively, you've been on the receiving end of the biggest shock of the day and fans of any club would be laughed at in the same scenario.

44 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m afraid I can’t agree. Hogarth was number 1 until after the 5-0 win vs Stirling and then McGlynn made Long the 1st choice again.

You can definitely see a difference in the defence when Long plays which would suggest there is not a great deal of confidence in him.

I think he has potential and I’m not going to slag one of our players off but he’s had a degree of culpability for our 2 recent shocking results which will impact his confidence and also further impact the rest of the defences confidence in him

I would hope Hogarth would be recalled for the Alloa game however given some of the managers recent decisions who knows if that will be the case.

I suspect he probably needs taking out of the team now. On the second goal I was right behind it at the time and it was deflected by the guy right in front of him. He got two hands to it and maybe he should save it but it was point blank range. 
Hogarth is prone to errors too TBF. He looked a bundle of nerves at Hamilton. 

Both our keepers are young and young keepers are prone to the odd mistake, it’s the nature of the beast. I was surprised in the summer that McGlynn didn’t try to get a more experienced keeper in. On the flip side they are both capable of brilliant saves and for me Longs distribution is better. It’s a difficult conundrum for McGlynn to solve. I don’t however think chopping and changing them all the time does any good for confidence.

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I don’t however think chopping and changing them all the time does any good for confidence.

I agree - We had a settled defence and continuity breeds confidence. McGlynn undoing that on a whim seems like an unnecessary mistake and it's cost us the last two games. 

Hogarth although prone to the odd lapse has conceded a maximum of one goal in the matches he's played since taking over in November. Long on the other hand with the exception of Cove has conceded six in fewer games.

His return is beginning to look like the Kinnear situation all over again where the worse he played the longer he was picked.

2 hours ago, jdt said:

Bonnyrigg fan here. That pitch was a leveler if not an advantage to us. I've been watching Bonnyrigg for 10 years now and as someone said earlier that their public park would be better and they're not wrong. I know at this time of year it's hard to get a decent pitch but recently ours has been bloody awful. You boys play some decent football but you couldn't on that, still had decent chances over the 90 as did we in the first half and if it were a league game as draw would've been fair. All the best for the rest of season, you'll be championship next year, no doubt about it.

I can mind Brockville being heavily sanded to get a game on, v Hibs, in the 80’s & it fcukd the park for years.

Okay, so I've slept on it and, I've got to be honest, I'm still pretty wound up. These last two results feel very self-inflicted. I'm lessening the blame on the players this week because that pitch was an absolute fcking disgrace, and Liverpool would have struggled on it, but what I can't excuse is McGlynn watching us struggle, with guys even pulling up with cramp in the last 15 mins, and him doing absolutely nothing about it. Making 4 subs on 92 mins just reeks of pure desperation. Most infuriating of all is the fact that I literally turned to my Mrs and said "Watch this. We'll lose a goal in the 90th min, probably to a corner." Football can be so predictable sometimes.

The priority is league duty. Of course it is, but the financial ramifications of exiting so early hurt. A lot. Getting into the next round could have been the difference between being able to sign another goalkeeper (badly needed).

Edited by Raybowski89

Awful result yesterday without a doubt but if looking for any sort of positive then it removes a potentially major distraction to our league campaign.

I don’t have any doubt that reaching the later stages last year affected our league efforts.

Really must treat every league game like a must win until the job is done.

2 hours ago, jdt said:

Bonnyrigg fan here. That pitch was a leveler if not an advantage to us. I've been watching Bonnyrigg for 10 years now and as someone said earlier that their public park would be better and they're not wrong. I know at this time of year it's hard to get a decent pitch but recently ours has been bloody awful. You boys play some decent football but you couldn't on that, still had decent chances over the 90 as did we in the first half and if it were a league game as draw would've been fair. All the best for the rest of season, you'll be championship next year, no doubt about it.

Very fair post, maybe tell this to your manager going by his comments this morning.

2 hours ago, jdt said:

Exactly this and seconded. Thanks for your voice of reason compared to bams from other teams not having a clue. There was no question that Bonnyrigg were far more comfortable on the turf than we were. I thought only Nizzy for us adapted well enough but the rest struggled with the conditions. Reminds of when we had Brockville as our own leveller, but not to be this time. 

On viewing the highlights the keepers only fault was coming for the first & getting caught in no man’s land. If you come for it you have to be in there & make sure you get a connection on the ball, either holding/punching it.

Smaller keepers tend to stay on the line & let their defenders defend & stick men on posts.

The second I’d be more inclined to ask who was meant to be picking up the man on the edge of the box. A well worked free kick, the keeper was probably distracted by the Rose player directly in front of him, who may/not have glanced it & may/not have been offside.