The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It is the big what if indeed.

Falkirk were further ahead than Jim Mclean's Dundee United. Alex Ferguson was assistant manager to Willy Cunningham and there was a lot of young talent with potential on the books. Stewart Kennedy, John Kennedy, Alex Beckett* John Young* Ian Harley, Tom Mcleod, Doug Somner, Stewart Wheatley, Colin Fowler to name a few that come to mind* these 2 went on to be stalwards in Fergies St Mirren team. Ferguson had even lined up Andy Gray to sign for the club.

As you said - What if

Missing out on the greatest gaffer of all-time is one thing, but St Mirren had him and SACKED him. That's surely about 100x worse! That minds me, I still need to read his book. Does he talk much about his time at Falkirk in it?

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Think the most tragic example was John Lambie. 11 years & 200+ games,  before moving onto play in Europe with St Johnstone.

Won the 1st division with 2 different clubs; & by a veritable street from Falkirk, with Accies, in 86. He actually left a safe job to come to Brockville because he wanted the gig!

Right man at, most certainly, the wrong time. Doomed, from the minute the fans told Fulston they didn’t want him.

Aye! Honest John and a damn good servant to Falkirk he was as well as a player.

55 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Missing out on the greatest gaffer of all-time is one thing, but St Mirren had him and SACKED him. That's surely about 100x worse! That minds me, I still need to read his book. Does he talk much about his time at Falkirk in it?

There's a bit about his time there. The relationship with Willie Cunningham and some of the players Tam Young, Alex Totten.

Good read and the bit about the managers job and Andy Gray just gets you thinking

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Falkirk were further ahead than Jim Mclean's Dundee United. Alex Ferguson was assistant manager to Willy Cunningham and there was a lot of young talent with potential on the books. Stewart Kennedy, John Kennedy, Alex Beckett* John Young* Ian Harley, Tom Mcleod, Doug Somner, Stewart Wheatley, Colin Fowler to name a few that come to mind* these 2 went on to be stalwards in Fergies St Mirren team. Ferguson had even lined up Andy Gray to sign for the club.

As you said - What if

You're thinking of Jim Fowler because Colin Fowler didn't arrive until the late 70's/early 80's. I think that Jim signed after Cunningham and Fergie had left too, although he was a great prospect. He left Falkirk when George Miller wouldn't let him sign for Dundee Utd and returned to amateur football. A real waste of talent!

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There's a bit about his time there. The relationship with Willie Cunningham and some of the players Tam Young, Alex Totten.

Good read and the bit about the managers job and Andy Gray just gets you thinking

I'm sure that wee Tiger refused to play in the LC semi final against Partick in 1971 because he'd fallen out with Ferguson, who was in the team.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

As you said - What if

Fergusson wasnt very successful to begin with at Man U. There were fan protests calling for his head iirc. There’s no guarantee he’d have done well with us. 
plus he called the team out on strike and then changed his mind. I was forced by my parents to miss the match and go to the Trossaughs that day with visiting relatives and I cried ( very young) when I found out I’d missed a match.  

also he once told 10 year old me to f**k off.    So bugger him lol. He wasn’t a great player and a total cheat. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

You're thinking of Jim Fowler because Colin Fowler didn't arrive until the late 70's/early 80's. I think that Jim signed after Cunningham and Fergie had left too, although he was a great prospect. He left Falkirk when George Miller wouldn't let him sign for Dundee Utd and returned to amateur football. A real waste of talent!

Thats right! Jim Fowler thanks for the correction - cracking player

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm sure that wee Tiger refused to play in the LC semi final against Partick in 1971 because he'd fallen out with Ferguson, who was in the team.

That's interesting, few days after the game was told Tiger banjoed a fellow player just before they got on the bus to Hampden. Put that down to gossip but it would tie up with what you posted.

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That's interesting, few days after the game was told Tiger banjoed a fellow player just before they got on the bus to Hampden. Put that down to gossip but it would tie up with what you posted.

Aye, I remember that there was talk of fisticuffs between Tiger and Ferguson. I would have backed the wee man TBH!

1 hour ago, Roboccop said:

Fergusson wasnt very successful to begin with at Man U. There were fan protests calling for his head iirc. There’s no guarantee he’d have done well with us. 
plus he called the team out on strike and then changed his mind. I was forced by my parents to miss the match and go to the Trossaughs that day with visiting relatives and I cried ( very young) when I found out I’d missed a match.  

also he once told 10 year old me to f**k off.    So bugger him lol. He wasn’t a great player and a total cheat. 

He wasn't the best footballer, but he was a prolific goal-scorer. In fact his 'worst' scoring performance was with us, scoring 37 times in 95 games.

44 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Ticket update anyone? 

Got tomorrow off. The idea of heading down to Larbert beer festival early tomorrow and not stopping til Saturday night is all consuming 

Crumbled and briefs have been secured.

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It was common knowledge up in Rumford at the time……

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

He wasn't the best footballer, but he was a prolific goal-scorer. In fact his 'worst' scoring performance was with us, scoring 37 times in 95 games.

He was a bugger to play against and niggled the opposition.

Remember a game against Stenhousemuir, it was a corner to Falkirk and Fergie was jumping up in down in front of the goalie. As the corner was taken Fergie jumped on the toe of the Stenny goalie. There was the goalie hopping about while he nodded the ball in for a goal. Ran away to celebrate with the whole Stenny team following after his blood. Cunningham subbed him a few minutes later to avoid a punch up.

9 hours ago, One off poster said:

Folk can have differing opinions on Eddie May the player, Eddie May the academy manager or Eddie May the 1st team manager but it is irrefutable that his disco pants were second to none.

They were certainly better than Adam and the Ants