The Falkirk FC Thread

Can’t say I am massively bothered with Hogarth signing either way. 

He just isn’t good enough, but hopefully can improve. But the fact he isn’t our No1 this year presumably means he is signed as backup. 

I think with keepers when they are young you never really see the best of them and more often than not any mistake they make leads to a goal. Nicky is fine if we bring in an older more experienced keeper and he learns from them. There are very few keepers who are the finished article at his age.

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

No issues at all with Nicky getting a new deal. I'd like to echo what others have said though, as I do feel an experienced back-up keeper would really help. Derek Gaston at Arbroath would be a good option, as he has coaching experience already. Michael McGovern of Hearts, for obvious reasons, would be another good choice. Even Jamie MacDonald at Morton would do. A younger alternative could be Jamie Sneddon at Partick Thistle, who is out of contract in the summer. He has bags of experience at championship level. I would expect him to probably be first choice, as opposed to back-up however.

Michael McGovern's taking the experienced part a bit too far as he'll be 40 in the summer so will probably be considering retiring if he doesn't get another year at Hearts.

Your other three options are absolutely honking. Give me Ryan Fulton, Josh Rae or someone from down south.

Edited by FFC 1876

47 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

Can’t say I am massively bothered with Hogarth signing either way. 

He just isn’t good enough, but hopefully can improve. But the fact he isn’t our No1 this year presumably means he is signed as backup. 

There isn't a No1 this season. I would assume whoever the other goalie is won't have the same clause written into their contract that has led to the rotation this year.

35 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Amazing now to think now that Tim Krul, Kasper Schmeichel and Tony Parks played in goal for us.

While we are talking about goalkeepers, I need to mention Ally Donaldson, he's not been mentioned for a long time.  My favourite back in the day.

Best goalie I've seen play for us. 

Bit surprised at the Hogarth news, would like to think we'll be looking for a far more established and experienced first choice goalkeeper for next season. I actually thought Hogarth developed into a a decent keeper during the course of his initial loan-period after a difficult start and was a bit disappointed when he left in the January. Not been nearly as convincing second time around. 

One thing this should precipitate is his immediate reinstatement as first choice, starting from tomorrow at Montrose. Absolutely no point whatsoever in continuing with a loan player who will be away in a few weeks time and leaving a player who has just signed a two-year contract on the bench. The definition of futility. If that upsets Lincoln City, well, we'll just have to live with that.

56 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Amazing now to think now that Tim Krul, Kasper Schmeichel and Tony Parks played in goal for us.

While we are talking about goalkeepers, I need to mention Ally Donaldson, he's not been mentioned for a long time.  My favourite back in the day.

Ally - my favourite ever Falkirk player !

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Michael McGovern's taking the experienced part a bit too far as he'll be 40 in the summer so will probably be considering retiring if he doesn't get another year at Hearts.

Your other three options are absolutely honking. Give me Ryan Fulton, Josh Rae or someone from down south.

All about opinions mate. I'm willing to back Nicky. Give him the number 1 jersey for next season and sign an older head as a coach/back-up. I'd hardly describe Gaston as "honking".

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Bit surprised at the Hogarth news, would like to think we'll be looking for a far more established and experienced first choice goalkeeper for next season. I actually thought Hogarth developed into a a decent keeper during the course of his initial loan-period after a difficult start and was a bit disappointed when he left in the January. Not been nearly as convincing second time around. 

One thing this should precipitate is his immediate reinstatement as first choice, starting from tomorrow at Montrose. Absolutely no point whatsoever in continuing with a loan player who will be away in a few weeks time and leaving a player who has just signed a two-year contract on the bench. The definition of futility. If that upsets Lincoln City, well, we'll just have to live with that.

It's contractual though as far as I'm aware  so long will be playing one more game and then it's back to Nicky.

It's been unfortunate that Hogarth seems to settle in hit good form and then gets replaced. I'm sure if he had had a decent run in the team then we'd have seen the very best of him.

Edited by Shodwall cat

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It's contractual though as far as I'm aware  so long will be playing one more game and then it's back to Nicky.

We’re hardly going to be sanctioned for selecting our own goalkeeper. If the implications of non-adherence to this so-called contract are that we are no longer furnished with loan players from Lincoln City then that’s a cross we’ll have to bear

Long playing another minute of first-team football is a now a complete waste of time. 

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

We’re hardly going to be sanctioned for selecting our own goalkeeper. If the implications of non-adherence to this so-called contract are that we are no longer furnished with loan players from Lincoln City then that’s a cross we’ll have to bear

Long playing another minute of first-team football is a now a complete waste of time. 

That’s a bit disrespectful. Long has done well for us and had a good season. He deserves to be treated well. 

2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

It is a bit unusual saying Nicky needs more experience then saying bring an experienced keeper in and have Nicky on the bench. If he needs experience he will not get it warming the bench.

2 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Happy with Hogarth extending, although not sure I’d have given him a two year deal at this stage.

I would like a more experienced no 1 next season anyway, with Hogarth as back up.

Not to fussed with him signing. It’s clear that he’s a really good shot stopper but work needed for his distribution and commanding his territory. As said he’s young and a mountain of a guy. Wishing him all the best and interesting to see what develops with someone coming in.

27 minutes ago, StuartA said:

That’s a bit disrespectful. Long has done well for us and had a good season. He deserves to be treated well. 

What, like the disrespect afforded to Hogarth when, a week after a MOTM performance at Kelty Hearts, he was unceremoniously dumped in favour a short-term signing who is demonstrably no better a goalkeeper than he is?

Certainly would not meet my criteria of being "treated well"

5 minutes ago, AGPar said:

What, like the disrespect afforded to Hogarth when, a week after a MOTM performance at Kelty Hearts, he was unceremoniously dumped in favour a short-term signing who is demonstrably no better a goalkeeper than he is?

Certainly would not meet my criteria of being "treated well"

Nonsense. McGlynn has been open about his rotation policy. And even if it was, two wrongs wouldn’t make a right.