The Falkirk FC Thread

11 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

All this is true, but the transfer business he carried out and the style of football we played would have doomed him no matter his pedigree.

The mention of transfer business always makes me think of, what I believe to be, the best piece of transfer business we’ve EVER conducted. Involved Eddie May - sold to Motherwell, and in return we get Paul McGrillen, Stevie Kirk, plus £100K - which we promptly used to bring in Mo Johnston. I’ll never see better transfer dealings at Falkirk than that, and challenge any Bairn who can think of better for us(?). Jim Jeffries I doff my cap to you 👏

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

The mention of transfer business always makes me think of, what I believe to be, the best piece of transfer business we’ve EVER conducted. Involved Eddie May - sold to Motherwell, and in return we get Paul McGrillen, Stevie Kirk, plus £100K - which we promptly used to bring in Mo Johnston. I’ll never see better transfer dealings at Falkirk than that, and challenge any Bairn who can think of better for us(?). Jim Jeffries I doff my cap to you 👏

Last summer, we signed Tom Lang, Brad Spencer and Calvin Miller all in the same day. Now, I'm not saying that's the best business we've ever done, but it has to be in the conversation, surely?

19 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Does anyone happen to know if they're still selling the FFC dog bowls in the shop? I can never seem to get through on the phone.

They were last time I was in. Shop probably closed today though.

2 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

They were last time I was in. Shop probably closed today though.

Shop was open earlier today, not sure what time it closes though. Never noticed if there were dog bowls

31 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Somebody posted on Montrose's Facebook page that 2.300 away tickets have been bought, can anybody confirm?

Sounds about right as we had sold 2k on Tuesday, should break through 2.5k later today 

13 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

And I'm sure Hearts gave us 50k for Colin Cramb around about the same time.

I think this is really good news, with particular caveats. It's got to be remembered he's only 22, he's a big guy and I think there are the makings of a really good keeper there even if he's not the finished article, so to get him tied down on a two-year deal is good business. He wouldn't be my no.1 going into next season though; I'd like an experienced goalkeeper in who Nicky can learn from and perhaps even put pressure on if he's not performing. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

No issues at all with Nicky getting a new deal. I'd like to echo what others have said though, as I do feel an experienced back-up keeper would really help. Derek Gaston at Arbroath would be a good option, as he has coaching experience already. Michael McGovern of Hearts, for obvious reasons, would be another good choice. Even Jamie MacDonald at Morton would do. A younger alternative could be Jamie Sneddon at Partick Thistle, who is out of contract in the summer. He has bags of experience at championship level. I would expect him to probably be first choice, as opposed to back-up however.

Edited by Raybowski89

The rotation this year hasn't helped either Keeper IMO and likely played on both of their minds at times.

Neither have been horrendous, which most of our fans would have you believe.  Capable of mistakes here and there but so are all of our outfield players who tend to get away mistakes, even major ones.  Our fans are also particularly brutal to keepers and give seriously bad vibes from the stands which won't help a young keeper.

Nicky was well thought of at Rangers (where young keepers basically never get a sustained opportunity) and must have been on some big clubs radars to have signed at Forest.

Clearly a lot of potential and we likely have the right environment to nurture that so hopefully goes on to prove himself.  I am sure he will.

Edited by MulsonFFC

I felt Hogarth would be away personally, mainly because him signing a 1 yr deal last season I thought was to benefit the club and himself. He maybe thought play for a year and use us as a stepping stone for a bigger move given he'd just came from Forest. Hasn't really panned out that way given McGlynn rotating the goalkeepers plus injuries. Not sure I'd have given him a two year deal but as others have said if an experienced keeper is brought in then he should be ok as a back up. Out the two keepers we have overall Long still shades it for me  but they both haven't covered themselves in glory at times. 

No issues with Nicky extending and echo others that an experienced goalie is needed alongside him. Wonder who will get the nod tomorrow for the ‘title winning’ game. It’s Long’s month and Nicky won’t be selected til April (ie Monday). Cheers Lincoln. 

Not good enough and cannot handle the pressure, if he plays against Dunfermline he will make a few cock ups.
He is absolutely fine when just having to react to shots, but any time he has to make a decision he is a complete liability. 

45 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

No issues at all with Nicky getting a new deal. I'd like to echo what others have said though, as I do feel an experienced back-up keeper would really help. Derek Gaston at Arbroath would be a good option, as he has coaching experience already. Michael McGovern of Hearts, for obvious reasons, would be another good choice. Even Jamie MacDonald at Morton would do. A younger alternative could be Jamie Sneddon at Partick Thistle, who is out of contract in the summer. He has bags of experience at championship level. I would expect him to probably be first choice, as opposed to back-up however.

Of those I would have thought Gaston is the only realistic shout.  I like Nicky and glad he’s staying, but would also prefer him as no2